Another one bites the dust! (pt III) | Page 2 | Vital Football

Another one bites the dust! (pt III)

Good news for us if this goes through I’d say. Coleman at Sunderland all over again hopefully.

They’ll win against us though...obviously.

I thought Michael O'Neill was a cracking player but unfortunately he was one of many in a long list of our players over the years who was under appreciated and constantly abused and criticised simply because he didn't run around a bit, aimlessly chase the ball and kick people.

He was labelled lazy and the abuse he received at the DW was unwarranted and was similar to, if not worse than, that received by Jordi Gomez in his first couple of seasons here. Interestingly they were also similar, cultured left footed players (although Jordi was better). O'Neill created more goals for and played more killer balls to David Lee, Simon Haworth, Stuart Barlow and Andy Liddell than I care to remember but these all went completely unnoticed simply because he didn't get 'stuck in'.

I remember one game, I think it was Millwall at home, not long after we moved into the DW he was getting dog's abuse all game then popped up with a crucial goal and rightly ran along the touchline giving all his critics some back. As was said earlier in this thread he never seemed to get much abuse at Springy, I'll let you all draw your own conclusions as to why that was.

I have to be honest & say that I was never a fan of Michael O'Neill when he played for us. He had his moments mind, but for me just went missing too often
He was better than Paul Rogers though
Having them 2 in midfield is probably the reason why most of Mathias's football seemed to completely bypass the midfield
Would that be "sir" Paul Rogers Wembley final winning goalscorer ? ?
Tbh he was terrible until "that" goal which silenced the c1 million milwall fans who apparently were there ?

I always had a soft spot for O'Neill.

I was at his debut for Newcastle reserves as St James' park back in the mid 80's after the geordie press had been bigging him up for weeks as an 18 year old wonder kid from Ireland.
He played the first 45 minutes and scored a sublime hatrick in front of 1500 fans for a reserve game (2 of the goals were curled into the top corner from outside the box with that amazing left peg).

Why was I there I hear Norm shout ?. I was a student up there and the game was against Latics reserves. I think we lost 5 - 1 with Andy Pilling scoring for us if my failing memory serves me right.

Would that be "sir" Paul Rogers Wembley final winning goalscorer ? ?
Tbh he was terrible until "that" goal which silenced the c1 million milwall fans who apparently were there ?

I remember getting his autograph the next game after Wembley, who did we play, doing my head in!

I think it was a night match. :hmmm:

He scored a hat trick for us on his debut a number of years ago . Totally irelevent but I thought I would say lol

You're mixing up your Irishmen ZAKKY.
It was Brendan O'Connell on his debut versus Wycombe Wanderers.
It was the first game of the 97/98 season and we won 5-2.

Neil Harris favourite for Cardiff jobs. That would be a very odd appointment as he was hardly inspiring at Millwall this last 18 months. But if they want to carry on being an aggressive long ball team he is probably a good fit to pick up where Warnock left off.

If I was them I'd go for Pulis - perfect fit stylistocally and a Welshman.

Mike Flynn also in the running. Always had a feeling he'd end up here down the line.

And replaced him with the 'Special one'

It's absolutely baffling. I can't think of a single thing that Levy could come up with to justify this appointment.

Poch had a tough start to this season, no disputing that, but considering how far he's taken Spurs in the past 5 1/2 years, I'd have thought he'd earned a little patience. Seems not. He's a massive loss to them though, and that will become apparent when he inevitably goes to United and takes them back to the top 4, possibly a title again.

Mourinho will bleed Spurs dry for cash bringing in a horde of mediocre players, play dour, negative, park the bus football, never give a youngster a chance and basically undo all the progress Poch made over half a decade in a season or less.

The biggest winners could well be United... Poch will be manager there by Christmas, I'm sure, and he'll no doubt want a 'spring clean' and get the egos and bad attitudes out the door... Who better than Jose, with his penchant for signing his past players from previous clubs to spunk hundreds of millions on players proven not to cut it in the Premier League? That'll be a big cash injection for Poch to sign some real stars... The likes of Eriksson (who's already hankering for a move to a 'big' club), maybe even Kane and Alli will probably follow Poch when the egos start rocking up in Jose's Spurs squad.

Jose's got so predictable... And Levy seems to be the only person in the country to have no idea what he's let himself in for. Jose will bloat the wage bill, play crap football and end up sacked within 18 months, then ride off into the sunset with another monster payoff. Can't say I blame Jose for that, to be fair... If my boss offered me tens of millions to bugger off, I'd take it as well... but Levy will have a lot of anger pointed his way when things go the way they always do with toxic Jose.