Another one bites the dust! (pt III) | Page 18 | Vital Football

Another one bites the dust! (pt III)

Watched the Peterborough Reading match the other night. It was absolutely shite. No surprise both have lost the managers. Seen Derby a few times and they look decent and despite a 21 point deduction should survive quite comfortably. The standard in the Championship seems to have diminished in the last two seasons overall.

I think Covid crushed teams ability to just keep over spending year on year and i so where teams were able to heavily outspend others to finish higher, i think most teams have been a lot more modest with their spending and it's lowered the standard.

Compared to a few years ago when the top 6 were more often or not the biggest spenders, the last couple of seasons there's been a lot of teams up there you wouldn't expect as the playing field is more level and good managers who always had limited funds are outfoxing the ones who previously had the advantage of bigger budgets.

Shows how precarious football management is, it is only a few months ago that Bielsa was being called a Messiah by both fans and players.

How the mighty have fallen

I hate to criticise a club for sacking a manager when i'm not watching them every week to know if it's genuinely justifiable or not in full context.

I think the risk of getting relegated and losing 100m or so makes it very difficult for any Prem club to not feel the pressure to try a new direction if things start to go wrong. That's not even a criticism, it's just the cause and effect of the financial fall off of relegation.

Perhaps his race there had run. Timing however is bizarre and a break in the summer would have been the sensible decision. Like us, a club that size would always be fighting relegation in the prem, particularly given his lack of funds and he has been over achieving for years. No doubt ‘big Sam’ will get another large payday for about 4 weeks work until end of the season.

Wonder if they'd consider Michael Duff at Cheltenham once they get relegated. What a job he's done there by the way. League One is full of very bright up and coming coaches, one of whom we'll be up against tomorrow.

Gerrards assistant gone to QPR.

Watford hired Forest Green manager.

Kompany possibly to Burnley.

Duncan Ferguson favourite for Blackburn.

Bookies suggesting Blackpool looking at Dave Challinor.

Birmingham seem to be sticking with Bowyer.

Reading sticking with Ince.

Arveladze at Hull a bit of a question mark still.

Seems a lot of clubs are gambling on managerial appointments with no past success at Championship level. It's going to be difficult to predict with so many unproven / unknown quantities.

Gerrards assistant gone to QPR.

Watford hired Forest Green manager.

Kompany possibly to Burnley.

Duncan Ferguson favourite for Blackburn.

Bookies suggesting Blackpool looking at Dave Challinor.

Birmingham seem to be sticking with Bowyer.

Reading sticking with Ince.

Arveladze at Hull a bit of a question mark still.

Seems a lot of clubs are gambling on managerial appointments with no past success at Championship level. It's going to be difficult to predict with so many unproven / unknown quantities.

There isn't a lot of money in the Championship. That's why I think clubs are willing to gamble on the lower league manager.
That scenario will suit Latics next season and I can see us being the suprise team next season.
I don't think another promotion is on the cards. But I can see us being around the play offs.