Another one bites the dust! (pt III) | Page 17 | Vital Football

Another one bites the dust! (pt III)

Sunderland current favourites

Keane
Warnock
Grant McCann
Alex Neil

Surprised Monk isn't in the running at all. Seems like he's not been in the frame for anything for a while.

For me Keane is a wildcard had some success at Sunderland in the past but very patchy track record since and not managed in a long time.

Warnock until the end of the season would be a very good shout but would his style of football suit the squad they have and would they want a longer term appointment?

McCann is a decent L1 manager - solid but not spectacular. But he's probably not a Championship manager so would Sunderland want to hire someone they may have to replace in 6 months time if they go up?

Neil to me stands out a mile as the best candidate, got promotions with Norwich and worked wonders at Preston before it eventually started to go wrong.

If i was Sunderland i'd be looking at Ishmael who's just left West Brom too and i think they could do a lot worse than Karl Robinson at Oxford - he did a really good job at MK, Charlton and Oxford getting them all playing good football that i think would appeal to the Sunderland fans.

I am hoping they hire a former legend like Kevin Phillips or something out of left field and he does as good as Shearer did after getting the Newcastle job.

Keane
Warnock
Grant McCann
Alex Neil

Surprised Monk isn't in the running at all. Seems like he's not been in the frame for anything for a while.

For me Keane is a wildcard had some success at Sunderland in the past but very patchy track record since and not managed in a long time.

Warnock until the end of the season would be a very good shout but would his style of football suit the squad they have and would they want a longer term appointment?

McCann is a decent L1 manager - solid but not spectacular. But he's probably not a Championship manager so would Sunderland want to hire someone they may have to replace in 6 months time if they go up?

Neil to me stands out a mile as the best candidate, got promotions with Norwich and worked wonders at Preston before it eventually started to go wrong.

If i was Sunderland i'd be looking at Ishmael who's just left West Brom too and i think they could do a lot worse than Karl Robinson at Oxford - he did a really good job at MK, Charlton and Oxford getting them all playing good football that i think would appeal to the Sunderland fans.

I am hoping they hire a former legend like Kevin Phillips or something out of left field and he does as good as Shearer did after getting the Newcastle job.

I caught Gabby Agbonlahor talking about being coached at Villa (under Paul Lambert) by Roy Keane. I know different people react differently to different types of managers but Keane sounded horrendous to work for - gave him 0 out of 100 for his people skills & said he never seemed to understand that the players he was working with weren't as good as him or the players he'd played with were (amongst other things)

Kevin Phillips was appointed manager of ambitious, big money non league side South Shields a couple of weeks ago

I caught Gabby Agbonlahor talking about being coached at Villa (under Paul Lambert) by Roy Keane. I know different people react differently to different types of managers but Keane sounded horrendous to work for - gave him 0 out of 100 for his people skills & said he never seemed to understand that the players he was working with weren't as good as him or the players he'd played with were (amongst other things)

Kevin Phillips was appointed manager of ambitious, big money non league side South Shields a couple of weeks ago

There is a football podcast i've listened to in the past hosted by John Parkin and another couple of lads and they had lots of people on who worked with Keane and no one had a good word to say about him. He sounded absolutely mental with some of his bizarre behaviour.

I can imagine Keane is like a Rosler type manager - when he walks in the door he gets a big reaction initially with his aggressive approach but the longer he's there he just falls out with everyone and loses the dressing room.

Don’t think Keane has been a manager for over ten years. It would be like us asking Jewell to come back. Would be a truly bizarre appointment, so fingers crossed it happens. In reality he should stick to punditry as he’s very watchable.

Of the names on that list I’m surprised Alex Neil is still without a club. Maybe he doesn’t interview well (he comes across as a bit dour) but his record is quite decent.

Keane
Warnock
Grant McCann
Alex Neil

KDZ Just as a matter of opinion, if Leam left for any reason, would you like to see Robinson at Wigan ?

KDZ Just as a matter of opinion, if Leam left for any reason, would you like to see Robinson at Wigan ?

Depending on who else was available and what division you are in he'd not be a bad shout. I think he's definitely a moaner and installs a lot of shit housing in his sides - but i think he's quite an under rated manager at this level. The job he's done at Oxford without spending much money has really impressed me.

There is a football podcast i've listened to in the past hosted by John Parkin and another couple of lads and they had lots of people on who worked with Keane and no one had a good word to say about him. He sounded absolutely mental with some of his bizarre behaviour.

I can imagine Keane is like a Rosler type manager - when he walks in the door he gets a big reaction initially with his aggressive approach but the longer he's there he just falls out with everyone and loses the dressing room.

Which is why he's probably the right man for them at this point. With only three months of the season left, the last thing Sunderland need is some brainiac boffin who will rip up the way they play and start again from scratch. They need someone who doesn't change much, but can basically give them a boost even if it doesn't last long term. For that reason, I can understand them going for Keane. He'll galvanise their fans and the players for the period between now and the end of the season.

Which is why he's probably the right man for them at this point. With only three months of the season left, the last thing Sunderland need is some brainiac boffin who will rip up the way they play and start again from scratch. They need someone who doesn't change much, but can basically give them a boost even if it doesn't last long term. For that reason, I can understand them going for Keane. He'll galvanise their fans and the players for the period between now and the end of the season.
They also don't need a psycho who will piss all the players off by prior example - on that basis I'd be delighted if they employed Roy

They also don't need a psycho who will piss all the players off by prior example - on that basis I'd be delighted if they employed Roy
We'll have to agree to disagree. I'd rather they not employ a serial winner with a league title on his CV as a manager at the same club after taking over with them in the relegation zone but each to their own.

I think if they go for him it could go either way. His approach could initially act as a rocket up them in the short term and that is probably what they need between now and the end of the season when they are notorious for bottling the end of the season. When a manager walks in they often start with a lot of respect and buy in from the players, and the influence and trust fades over time. I'm not sure if there is enough time between now and the end of the season for him to really get to the stage where he falls out with everyone.

It'll be interesting to see how it plays out.

Watched the Peterborough Reading match the other night. It was absolutely shite. No surprise both have lost the managers. Seen Derby a few times and they look decent and despite a 21 point deduction should survive quite comfortably. The standard in the Championship seems to have diminished in the last two seasons overall.

Marcelo Bielsa has been binned by Leeds ... replacement already on the way.

https://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co...nd-the-immediate-issues-he-would-face-3588645

https://www.footballtransfertavern....es-claim-leeds-players-bielsa-change-tactics/
Speaking to The Transfer Tavern, Jones revealed that Bielsa rebuffed an approach from a ‘group’ of Leeds players in regards to a change of style. He said:
“Bielsa was a bit too stubborn for his own good – I was told a group of players approached him about adapting the style of play but he wouldn’t listen to them. Moments like that go against you if results are bad.”

Were never in the bottom three all season. Woeful decision by their new yank owners who have been looking for any excuse to bring in a yank manager.

In other L1 news, Derek Adams is back in at Morecambe after Robinson hot-footed it to St Mirren as the risk of having a relegation on his CV became more and more real.