Another one bites the dust! (pt III) | Page 13 | Vital Football

Another one bites the dust! (pt III)

John Sheridan resigned / sacked from Swindon...why couldn't he have hung on for another 2 weeks or so?????
Hardly surprising given his record. What was most surprising was that he got a job at all. He's got a list of past clubs as long as my arm and he's failed miserably at every single one of them.

Nothing personal against him; I'm sure he's probably a sound bloke, but there's nothing in almost 15 years of his management history to suggest he'll do anything except flop like the metaphorical flaccid phallus.

It was baffling when we employed him and even more baffling that another club then went to the trouble of poaching him off us. For that, I thank Swindon immensely: they no doubt saved us from having an even worse season.

He had a bit of an odd up and down career, .....but at his best he was a very talented player and scored some fabulous goals.
As a player I agree he was very good. I'd have been over the moon to have had him on the books as a player. His management career though... it's just all downs with no ups.

O
Oh dear. What a shame. Nevermind.

I think this guy is the most overrated manager in the game. His man management is bloody awful and he thinks he is greater than either the players or the club whichever club he is at.

Probably use the Super league as an excuse.
Won trophies everywhere he's been. More Premier Leagues than any other manager not currently retired Two Champions Leagues. Was less than a week away from competing for another one against a side he's already beaten this season.

Also never afraid take on the twattish media in this country. Respect Jose!

Won trophies everywhere he's been. More Premier Leagues than any other manager not currently retired Two Champions Leagues. Was less than a week away from competing for another one against a side he's already beaten this season.

Whilst all this is true (except he won nowt at Tottenham), he's failed to adapt to the changes in the game & what magic touch he had has long gone
The way he's hung players out to dry like he did with Luke Shaw has been appalling and he's done similar at Spurs too

I remember being at Old Trafford for the game when Porto knocked United out of the Champions League & Mourinho sprinted down the touchline. I remember thinking during the game that they (Porto) played the worst style of football I'd ever seen & thought the same when Porto beat Celtic in the Europa League/UEFA Cup Final (can't remember which game came first). It seems to be this style of play that's caught up with him

Never had to work with a squad

Never had to work with a squad of players that really needed coaching. I hate to think how much this guy has made out of getting sacked.

O
Oh dear. What a shame. Nevermind.

I think this guy is the most overrated manager in the game. His man management is bloody awful and he thinks he is greater than either the players or the club whichever club he is at.

Probably use the Super league as an excuse.

To be fair he was the best manager in the world at one time and when he came into England his tactics and formation were quite revolutionary and virtually everyone started to copy it.

But as you say he seems like he's not really continued to evolve with the game and his ego / attitude have become a real issue in his man management.

But even his failures have seen him have a 50%+ win ratio everywhere he's been so he's fallen short of high expectations of the big clubs but his worst season is probably better than most managers best.

He could be great again but I think he needs to reinvent himself a bit as he's letting himself down by getting in his own way.

Something funny gone on there. Not even a best wishes for the future or thanks to Hill for what he's done this season to date. I can't see how they could legitimately sack him based on performance when he got them into the playoffs and reached a cup final. Installing a new manager with a couple of games left (playoff games at that) isn't very convincing, since typically a new manager takes a while to get their feet under the table. Only time that's not true is when the team's underperformed and they get a bounce... after a pretty successful season, that's hardly the case.

Can't criticise the club or Hill right now, since we don't know the circumstances, but it's very unlikely to be football related given the odd timing and where they sit in the league.

Think Hill basically fell out with everyone - fans, skipper, squad, chairman - and shat on his own doorstep.