Another one bites the dust! (pt III) | Page 12 | Vital Football

Another one bites the dust! (pt III)

Amazing players every one of them. I would add two more Ralph Coates and Alan Hudson.
Not sure that Ralph Coates was quite in the same class as those others as a "character", but he was a very talented and skillful footballer ... and what a trendsetting hairstyle ! :grinning:

Off topic:
Does anyone remember the bloke who used to draw caricatures of people on
the back of a beer mat in the Supporters Club and the Springfield Pub,
i've still got one of me somewhere.

Talked to him in the Supporters Club a few times,
seeing a top player at Springy was awesome at the time.

I'm pretty sure Springy Duncans party piece was jumping over a Mini. It certainly was a player from that time and I'm near certain it was Dunc.

I'm pretty sure Springy Duncans party piece was jumping over a Mini. It certainly was a player from that time and I'm near certain it was Dunc.

Played a couple of times with Dunc when he had retired, he turned out for a couple of local pub sides. Great player and a good bloke to boot.

Not sure that Ralph Coates was quite in the same class as those others as a "character", but he was a very talented and skillful footballer ... and what a trendsetting hairstyle ! :grinning:
Give over Moonay....he was just a Bobby Charlton tribute act in the old tonsorials 😀

Was that the pub where it was Halloween every day of the year?
It was a very strange place, different than any pub I have ever been in. Stuffed animals, bats and birds with the heads of other animals etc.
It turned into Gossips after that where scantily dressed barmaids wore grass skirts and had coconut shell bikini tops. It was awful, I gave it a wide berth as a youngster and only went 2 or 3 times.......................a week.
After the fun pub fad finished it became The Fox and Grapes, then latterly it became the only pub I knew that had a different name dependent on which door you went in it from.
It was The Leigh Arms from one road, but if you went around the corner off the other road, it was The Station Hotel, still weird even in its latter years.
It was knocked down in 2017 to make way for Chorley Youth Zone.

Last edited:
It was a very strange place, different than any pub I have ever been in. Stuffed animals, bats and birds with the heads of other animals etc.
It turned into Gossips after that where scantily dressed barmaids wore grass skirts and had coconut shell bikini tops. It was awful, I gave it a wide berth as a youngster and only went 2 or 3 times.......................a week.
After the fun pub fad finished it became The Fox and Grapes, then latterly it became the only pub I knew that had a different name dependent on which door you went in it from.
It was The Leigh Arms from one road, but if you went around the corner off the other road, it was The Station Hotel, still weird even in its latter years.
It was knocked down in 2017 to make way for Chorley Youth Zone.

I seem to remember all the tables were shaped like coffins.

Duncan McKenzie - Bay Horse - Ashton.
Tommy Smith - Smithy @ Billinge
Ian Callaghan - Golden Lion @ Rainford

Played with Dunc at Bay Horse and Caledonian, played against Tommy in the Sunday League when he played for Smithy, and also used to drink with him after the League meetings in the Vic at Platt Bridge. Sad thing was Tommy damaged his back whilst doing cellar work at the Smithy and was unable to play again. He was a great guy and did a hell of a lot for the local leagues with his support.

Played with Dunc at Bay Horse and Caledonian, played against Tommy in the Sunday League when he played for Smithy, and also used to drink with him after the League meetings in the Vic at Platt Bridge. Sad thing was Tommy damaged his back whilst doing cellar work at the Smithy and was unable to play again. He was a great guy and did a hell of a lot for the local leagues with his support.
Its great hearing about these stars of yesteryear playing in the local leagues.
Has anyone bumped into Shearer, Lineker or Becham whilst playing for the Nags Head?????

Not Latics related but I once refereed a game in the Liverpool Premier League where Lee Trundle was playing for Page Celtic
He'd put on some timber since his pro days but no-one could get the ball off him.

On a Sunday League level my only Latics related one was I refereed a Sunday League game involving a team from Ormskirk that were managed by Stephen Appleton
There were also loads of ex Latics players at semi-pro coaching/management levels a while back

Colin Methven was part of the coaching staff at Kirkham & Wesham when they won the FA Vase (before they became AFC Fylde).

A work colleague was on the committee there, & reckoned he was still better than any of the players !

Not Latics related but I once refereed a game in the Liverpool Premier League where Lee Trundle was playing for Page Celtic
He'd put on some timber since his pro days but no-one could get the ball off him

He had a bit of an odd up and down career, .....but at his best he was a very talented player and scored some fabulous goals.