Another one bites the dust! (pt II) | Page 9 | Vital Football

Another one bites the dust! (pt II)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally, I don't think you need to invest a lot of money to do well at Championship level. Look at Sheffield United and Bristol City; they haven't spent much on their squads at all, and yet are both currently occupying the play-off positions. Cardiff's squad last year was far from being the second-best in the division (contentiously, none of their players made it into the 'Team of the Season' for that campaign), and yet they won automatic promotion. The year beforehand, Huddersfield were tipped for relegation based on their squad, but through acquiring successful loans and a shrewd boss in Wagner, they also managed to win promotion.

On the contrary, Nottingham Forest, who spent around 60 million in the summer, have had to settle for mid-table mediocrity this season. Stoke have one of the best and most valuable squads in the league on paper, with a PL quality goalkeeper in Butland, and players that are probably on very high wages, yet they are occupying the lower end of mid-table.

I think that, although substantial spending does help, you can do quite well in this league simply by having an astute manager e.g. Wilder, Johnstone, Warnock, Wagner, etc, who knows how to get the best out of a more limited set of players, as well as having a good recruitment team.
Hit the nail on the head Astute manager

Birmingham City have sacked manager Garry Monk after just over a year in charge of the Championship club.

There had been talk earlier this month that ex-Middlesbrough, Swansea and Leeds boss Monk, 40, would resign over the exit of Jota to rivals Aston Villa.

Monk's assistant Pep Clotet has been named caretaker head coach.

With the likes of Gary Rowett out of work, do we still stick or twist with Cooky?

Twist, most definitely! I dont care if Cook has one Championship season under his belt he'll cock it up and this time we may not be as lucky that there was 3 absolute shite teams worse than us!

Cook is safe as houses (for now). Rightly so.

Last season's goal was to stay up. That's it. Nothing else mattered.

He did it with 12 point to spare, despite having all of our first choice attacking players out for more than half of the season... what options did Paul have? With so few fit attacking players, he had no other choice but to change away from his favoured tactics to try to get the best out of a severely depleted first team squad. It had limited success, but we drew a lot of games we could easily have lost. Small mercies and all that, but every point counts.

It looked shaky in the middle half, and we struggled at times, but as a newly promoted side with very little spending power relative to the division, ravaged by injuries for a long period, to still finish 12 points safe is a huge credit to Cook and the players.

Just being in this division is punching above our weight as a club, we should never forget that, and it's a blessing to have a good manager who's seemingly happy to work within our financial constraints.

He's going nowhere unless he decides he wants to.

Cook is safe as houses (for now). Rightly so.

Last season's goal was to stay up. That's it. Nothing else mattered.

He did it with 12 point to spare, despite having all of our first choice attacking players out for more than half of the season... what options did Paul have? With so few fit attacking players, he had no other choice but to change away from his favoured tactics to try to get the best out of a severely depleted first team squad. It had limited success, but we drew a lot of games we could easily have lost. Small mercies and all that, but every point counts.

It looked shaky in the middle half, and we struggled at times, but as a newly promoted side with very little spending power relative to the division, ravaged by injuries for a long period, to still finish 12 points safe is a huge credit to Cook and the players.

Just being in this division is punching above our weight as a club, we should never forget that, and it's a blessing to have a good manager who's seemingly happy to work within our financial constraints.

He's going nowhere unless he decides he wants to.

Can you honestly say you wasn't a tad worried around Feb/March last season? Cook's luck will run out soon and thats what worries me.

Twist, most definitely! I dont care if Cook has one Championship season under his belt he'll cock it up and this time we may not be as lucky that there was 3 absolute shite teams worse than us!

Had we cocked up against Bolton, I think he wouldve been sacked. He was on thinnest of thin Ice, I am sure.

If he doesnt recruit cleverly, and wisely, he is playing a very dangerous game. I like Gary Monk, but I think he might go to Derby if Lampard goes to Chelsea.

He would have been sacked had we lost against Villa as well. Tammy Abraham probably saved his job. I’m hoping it’s fate that he dodged the bullet twice and that our owners are rewarded for sticking by him with a great season.

Monk is rubbish without Pep Clotet as his assistant, got found out without him at Boro. Of the manager’s out of work I’d say Karanka is most appealing, but let’s see how we start next season before debating whether to sack the manager.

I don't rate Monk or Rowett. Both would want money as well.

Karanka is clearly a good manager, but the money situation is even more acute with him. He quit much bigger jobs (or was sacked after complaining about lack of support) than us... Boro, for example, are orders of magnitude richer than we are, and he walked when he felt he wasn't being backed. He wouldn't take the job here, let alone stay long even if we somehow got him to come in the first place.

In Cook, we may not have a fashionable manager (let's face it, a bald Scouser isn't going to be a media darling like a dashing Spaniard can be...), but we have an effective one. With a little less bad luck with injuries, a full year's experience of Championship level management under his belt, I think Cook is the best man to push us forward without putting the club into unsustainable debt. I'll take that over a 'name' any day of the week. Cook is also an ex-player and I think a genuine link to the club and the loyalty / care that that entails is priceless. Dean Smith dragging Villa back up after an unspectacular start to the season is a prize example.

The grass isn't always greener...

Had we cocked up against Bolton, I think he wouldve been sacked. He was on thinnest of thin Ice, I am sure.

If he doesnt recruit cleverly, and wisely, he is playing a very dangerous game. I like Gary Monk, but I think he might go to Derby if Lampard goes to Chelsea.

But we didn't, we won 5-1 !!

Unbelievable that its only 20th June, the players are not back in training yet and already some on here are calling for a new manager!!

Some people should be careful what they wish for and realise that a club of our size is doing just fine amongst the bigger clubs in this league, on track with the plan for a steady buildup to challenging for promotion in a few years time.
We had an injury crisis last year that would have challenged most managers and our manager came out a winner.

Last edited:
Huddersfield Town have sacked head coach Jan Siewert three matches into the new Championship season.

Huddersfield Town have sacked head coach Jan Siewert three matches into the new Championship season.

Hardly surprising. One win in several months is pretty poor, even accounting for how badly outgunned Huddersfield were financially in the Premier League.

Could argue that he didn't get a fair crack at this level, but they'll be wanting to bounce straight back whilst they're still getting big parachute money, so if they've lost confidence in the manager, an early change is better than having to do it mid season when they're already bogged down in mid table or lower, so the decision is understandable.

Neil Harris has today stepped down from his role as manager of Millwall Football Club. His assistant, David Livermore, has also departed The Den

Bookies have Hughton, Pulis and Rowett in the frame for the Millwall job at moment.

Wouldn't think Hughton would fancy it as he's apparently turned down other jobs at this level reccently. Rowett would be a superb appointment for them and he will be after a club to rebuild after Stoke. Pulis would be a match made in heaven for them with the big lads they have. Mick McCarthy and Roy Keane other names mentioned. McCarthy would be a very solid appointment but not sure he'd leave Ireland now. Keane is mental so with him could go either way.

I imagine Adkins will end up linked too. But im thinking maybe someone like Sol Campbell or Mike Flynn might be a dark horse.

To be honest thete are a lot of good managers out of work so whoever they get will probably see them improve.

Status
Not open for further replies.