Another Interesting Stat | Vital Football

Another Interesting Stat

HerrLjunga

Vital 1st Team Regular
Saw this posted on the Gills in the Blood Facebook page, our record on live TV games since 1991.

P43 W10 D10 L23 F52 A74

Pretty awful record, but in recent times it's been even worse, of our last 27 games on live TV since 2002, we've won just four (2-0 v Tranmere in 2007, the 2008/09 play-off second leg and final and 1-0 v Wolves in 2014) and lost 19. Here's hoping the West Ham game is win number five.
gfc.jpg

Our play-off record is decent though, so we’ll be alright in May.

Also, am I right in thinking Joe Hart was in goal in the game v Tranmere?

I wasn’t surprised by our overall poor record, but am surprised that we haven’t been on live for over two years. I also note that we’ve never been live on the BBC - think our only ever live terrestrial match was the Villa Cup game.

Wouldn’t be surprised if we get a game or two before the season end, regardless of how we do, due to the Evans factor as we’re seeing a lot more drama and controversy in our matches despite a similar on pitch record so far to last season.

I can’t contemplate us being on TV given our history, think I’m going to turn my phone off

On current form , we will be shown live in the play offs 😉

If we can ship out (back) Ndjoli and Jakubiak - presumably there’s a callback clause for their parent clubs and presumably that’s a two way process - and replace them with some better goal scorers (and we’ll have decent funds due to the cup run), I genuinely think we could challenge for the playoff. We’re really not that far away and there’s is certainly nothing to fear from this division - Wycombe who are top, Ipswich, Cov and co up there who we’ve played are nothing special and the bottom few are woeful. If nothing else, aiming up hopefully takes you away from the bottom three!

If we can ship out (back) Ndjoli and Jakubiak - presumably there’s a callback clause for their parent clubs and presumably that’s a two way process - and replace them with some better goal scorers (and we’ll have decent funds due to the cup run), I genuinely think we could challenge for the playoff.

I’m hoping that the boot isn’t also on the other foot regarding loans.

Alright maybe sending back those we don’t need, but So long as Saints don’t recall O’Connor or Jones. And we probably could do with keeping Olly Lee as well.

I’m hoping that the boot isn’t also on the other foot regarding loans.

Alright maybe sending back those we don’t need, but So long as Saints don’t recall O’Connor or Jones. And we probably could do with keeping Olly Lee as well.

Good call on Jones and O’Connor, they’ve been very good for us, but certainly not eye catching enough to be recalled. Not too fussed about not Lee personally, no disrespect to the lad.

Good call on Jones and O’Connor, they’ve been very good for us, but certainly not eye catching enough to be recalled.

Not to get in their first team, but the problem would be if Southampton decide they want them to spend the 2nd half of the season at a Championship side.

I wasn’t surprised by our overall poor record, but am surprised that we haven’t been on live for over two years. I also note that we’ve never been live on the BBC - think our only ever live terrestrial match was the Villa Cup game.

Wouldn’t be surprised if we get a game or two before the season end, regardless of how we do, due to the Evans factor as we’re seeing a lot more drama and controversy in our matches despite a similar on pitch record so far to last season.

Never live on the BBC it's true but once upon a time games outside the top flight were selected as Match of The Day. Enjoy this one.

Last edited:
Blimey, forgot about those days. They didn't treat sides lower than the old First Division as cheap, not to be given much air time games like they do now.

Never live on the BBC it's true but once upon a time games outside the top flight were selected as Match of The Day. Enjoy this one.

Remember those days fondly

Remember the old MOTD days fondly when they showed all divisions - remember top of the table clashes with Bradford away and Fulham home in the early/mid 80s. It's a shame that the Beeb just chase the glory now. I'd much sooner see a big Championship clash or top of the table or local derby lower league game rather than an also ran irrelevant Prem game, for example Burnley v Brighton.

So i was right for a change brentford 2-0 to the mighty gills. We did not have live games so to us the motd was the equivalent. I was 15 at that game and we were behind the goal where Rackstraw scored. I think we made more noise for the number of fans there than we have today lol :)

Brought back memories, simmo - in fact the whole team. Could talk for a long team about these players.

Younger fans should look at the goalkeeping rules and also the terrible pitches we had to play on.

So i was right for a change brentford 2-0 to the mighty gills. We did not have live games so to us the motd was the equivalent. I was 15 at that game and we were behind the goal where Rackstraw scored. I think we made more noise for the number of fans there than we have today lol :)

Brought back memories, simmo - in fact the whole team. Could talk for a long team about these players.

Younger fans should look at the goalkeeping rules and also the terrible pitches we had to play on.
Yes, the pitch played like concrete. Ball bounced higher than it did on Luton's old plastic pitch.
New goalkeeping rules have been great. I used to get sick of watching Liverpool spending an hour passing back to their goalie after going 1 0 up.