Another Club Record... | Vital Football

Another Club Record...

Scotimp

Vital Football Legend
...possibly in the offing. Not an important one, but interesting all the same.

You may have noticed that City have not conceded more than one goal in any league match so far this season.

The club record for such a start has stood since 1937-38 when Joe McClelland's team did not concede more than one goal in a league match until the 15th game (a 2-2 draw at home to Doncaster on 13 November). Therefore the record is 14.

The current run of 12 games is the second best in the club's history. Port Vale, Cambridge and Carlisle stand between the Cowleys and yet another club record.

Scotimp I seem to recall 80/81 was a particularly good defensive year (25 conceded I think off the top of my head). Was that our best ever over a 46 match season?

I don't know if it's been beaten yet but at the time only 25 goals conceded was a record for the division.

25 is our club record.

It was beaten in 1995-96 by Gillingham, who conceded just 20. They only scored 49 but managed to finish second. In their last 18 league matches, they only scored more than one in a game once (that was a 2-0 win at home to Hartlepool).

Must have been mind-numbing to watch. Their manager? A certain Tony Pulis, who has been boring football fans ever since.

Gillingham were champions in 1963-4 with 59F 30A

By contrast, Carlisle were second with 113F 58A

It was a shame we didn't end the 1937-38 season as we started it losing our last seven away games, 0-4 at Rotherham, 0-3 at Doncaster, 0-2 at Bradford, Crewe, Tranmere and Halifax and ended with a 4-1 defeat at Barrow. We finished 7th.

...possibly in the offing. Not an important one, but interesting all the same.

You may have noticed that City have not conceded more than one goal in any league match so far this season.

The club record for such a start has stood since 1937-38 when Joe McClelland's team did not concede more than one goal in a league match until the 15th game (a 2-2 draw at home to Doncaster on 13 November). Therefore the record is 14.

The current run of 12 games is the second best in the club's history. Port Vale, Cambridge and Carlisle stand between the Cowleys and yet another club record.

Time to start counting again.