Annoying advert | Vital Football

Annoying advert

I get them at times as well. If only the advertiser's knew my opinions of iPhones!

I'll contact Vital Towers with a link to this thread.

Keep the patience guys, there must be an issue which will be resolved asap.

I’ve found just going back one page on the browser clears it nibbles. Agree it’s bloody annoying though

Not that it makes any difference but I'm not seeing the ad via my PC. Vital Towers informed. :thumbup:

I’ve found just going back one page on the browser clears it nibbles. Agree it’s bloody annoying though

Is that on the mobile site though?
Going back often takes me out of the site if I’ve not visited many pages at that point - particularly annoying if you’re trying to write a post although to be fair the new site does save a draft which is handy.

Hi folks

These aren't sanctioned adverts, it's an industry wide problem that ad agencies are trying to sort out. I have been re-directed to this tripe on Vital Football and also Newsnow over the last few days.

We've alerted our ad agency who will do their best to track them down and eliminate.

We know how annoying they are and apologise.

This isn't a fix but it will help circumvent the whole 'leave-site' issue that some may be experiencing. Try "tabbed browsing"

Mobile device users:
On the main threads page, tap-and-hold on each thread title. Then, from the popup menu, select "open link in new browser tab" (or words to that effect).

You'll find that 90% of the opened links will work fine but, every now & then, one of them will auto-forward to you these nonsense links. You can close that "tab" & just re-open the same message from the main threads page (which you have open in another "tab").

PC users:
Just press "Crtl", then click the link & it'll open in a new "tab".

As others have said, it doesn't look like this auto-forwarding issue has permeated as far as the desktop site ads just yet.

Overall benefits

- You don't have to forward-back button your way around, just open the pages in 2 or more tabs & flick between them. Don't forget to close them when done.

- Useful if searching for something on Google/Amazon/Ebay etc & you want to compare websites/products on-screen (without the forward-back button reloading etc). You can have everything open at once & just jump between pre-loaded pages.

- Cheaper on mobile user bandwidth ie: you don't repeat-load the same page several times as you would with the forward-back approach. Less content being downloaded = less cost (or more browsing capacity)

Appreciate that may be teaching some users to suck eggs but might prove useful for others

HTH

Is that on the mobile site though?
Going back often takes me out of the site if I’ve not visited many pages at that point - particularly annoying if you’re trying to write a post although to be fair the new site does save a draft which is handy.

It’s on an iPad, so is probably the mobile site, sorry.

Good point about this site saving drafts though. I also like the way it remembers the last message you’ve seen in a thread and will show the next one when you revisit the thread.