Anglia Square redevelopment | Vital Football

Anglia Square redevelopment

Bolshie Budgie

Vital Champions League
I am glad that the proposed redevelopment of Anglia Square has been rejected. A twenty
storey tower near the Anglican Cathedral (which is over 900 years old) was crazy!

https://www.edp24.co.uk/news/politics/anglia-square-revamp-rejected-1-6928269

The original development and flyover ripped the guts out of an old part of the city. Having given the contract to build the flyover I believe the council tried to reverse their decision but couldnt so we were left with it being built.

On the front page of today's (22/12/2020) Eastern Evening News there is a report that the developer (Weston Homes) has lodged an application for statutory review into the Secretary of state's (Robert Jenrick) decision, which could see it overturned by a High Court judge.

I hope the decision is not overturned. It was a bad mistake when the council got the flyover built and ripped the guts out of the area. A 20 storey tower is inappropriate for the area being so close to the 900+ year old Cathedral.

Then on page 2, the follwoing is stated:

"Alan Waters, the leader of Norwich City Council, has gone on record and said that Robert Jenrick has overturned local democracy and an extensive public inquiry..."

This is amazing given the overwhelming view of the citizens (roughly 700 against the plans to 100 for, if I remember correctrly) expressed in a public consultation. So much for local democracy!!

I wonder what all the people who commented on the video below would say if they knew there was a 20 storey block being proposed close to the 950+ year old Cathedral.