And they called him | Vital Football

And they called him

Got a lump in my throat reading the article vin. Tremendous player who I was lucky enough to see play. I remember we lost 2-3 in a cup game against Derby (who may have been Champions?). Green at his finest though, ripped Colin Todd apart. Didn't deserve to be on the losing side that night.

Unfortunately Tony Green got crocked just about the time I started to be taken to the match by my fatha so I never got to see him play. My fatha said that him and Len White were the best players he ever saw in a black and white shirt.

Good read that, just before my time Tony, but I’ve heard people who aren’t even Geordies wax lyrical about him, would’ve loved to have seen him play.

I saw him a couple of times with my Dad. A wonderfully skilled player. Shame his career was ended so badly. He made others play bettter. Even Barrowclough moved a bit off a Green through ball. Worked wonders for Supermac. My formative years.

I'm glad he relished his time as a teacher. So many, before and afteer him have resented going out of the game.