Ancestry | Page 3 | Vital Football

Ancestry

Neither 23andme or Ancestry do the Y DNA test. You'll still get the male line without it. Ancestry is best, as it has more people who've done the DNA test. Family Tree DNA do Y tests.

From the little lazy googling I have done all I found was:

Three Types of DNA Tests

The three most common genealogical tests are autosomal, mtDNA, and Y-DNA. Each provides different genetic information. Keep in mind that not every company offers all three tests.
Autosomal DNA

This is the DNA type that’s most commonly tested in the industry. Autosomes are the chromosomes that you inherited from both of your parents, making it an ideal test for discovering your heritage and ancestors from up to ten generations ago. Autosomal DNA analysis is usually extremely accurate.
mtDNA

Mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA) is the kind that’s passed down exclusively from your mother. When put under a microscope, your results will show genetic information from your mother’s side of the family (maternal lineage). Not every company offers this test.
Y-DNA

This is the DNA that’s analyzed to show your father’s side of the family. Testing for this type of DNA is done on the Y chromosome, which is passed down only from father to son.

So now my head aches as - Supposedly 23and me does a Single DNA test covering autosomal DNA, Y-DNA SNPs and mtDNA aghhhhhhhh.
Can leave the finding family to my sister, I only want to go back as far as I can to see where stroodies originated lol.

I still can't find a Y DNA test on 23andme. I think what you posted is just explaining what test there are, not what they do. I'm not sure what you'll find with a Y DNA test, it's very hit and miss. You'd be better doing an Ancestry DNA test, but be quick, as it's only £50 until midnight I think. I do mine and my full sisters tree, my half sisters and my wife's... The only Stroodie I've found is me lol

I still can't find a Y DNA test on 23andme. I think what you posted is just explaining what test there are, not what they do. I'm not sure what you'll find with a Y DNA test, it's very hit and miss. You'd be better doing an Ancestry DNA test, but be quick, as it's only £50 until midnight I think. I do mine and my full sisters tree, my half sisters and my wife's... The only Stroodie I've found is me lol
Are you on commission? 🤔

Sadly appears the 3 month offer has finished,

Yeah, it finished. But you can get half price by joining as a newbie. If you're already a member, cancel your renewal, and after a couple of days after you subscription ended, you can join as a newbie again. You can do that every year 🙂

Yeah, it finished. But you can get half price by joining as a newbie. If you're already a member, cancel your renewal, and after a couple of days after you subscription ended, you can join as a newbie again. You can do that every year 🙂
Ah cheers for heads up,found so many relations,think I will emigrate,has been so easy on mums side,but just getting nowhere on dads,I’m thinking they had a chequered history.

Ah cheers for heads up,found so many relations,think I will emigrate,has been so easy on mums side,but just getting nowhere on dads,I’m thinking they had a chequered history.

The only side I've had it easy is my mum's dad's side. My step dad had a blank for his father. My biological dad claimed his parents were killed by a bomb in WW2, and they weren't. His dad never married and my mum's mum's dad just says Ireland for birth... But DNA has been a help, and I get certificates to prove who people are. It's enjoyable to find people who are hiding behind the biological truth... 😊

The only side I've had it easy is my mum's dad's side. My step dad had a blank for his father. My biological dad claimed his parents were killed by a bomb in WW2, and they weren't. His dad never married and my mum's mum's dad just says Ireland for birth... But DNA has been a help, and I get certificates to prove who people are. It's enjoyable to find people who are hiding behind the biological truth... 😊

Been considering DNA Ancestry Test for while now,other day mentioned to one of our daughters,she just said wait till after Christmas may have some offers,so my mind is thinking maybe Christmas present.

Been considering DNA Ancestry Test for while now,other day mentioned to one of our daughters,she just said wait till after Christmas may have some offers,so my mind is thinking maybe Christmas present.

They've had £20 off the past week or so. So you never know... Should have been on the Black Friday thread lol

A cousin of mine was in the diplomatic service around the world and often had spare time on her hands! No children and only married in her late 40s her life project was to research our family tree. My father was the youngest of 11 children and I have 32 cousins. My father's father was Swiss. Thanks to impeccable tax records in Switzerland my cousin traced the family back to 1564. It cost her quite a bit and she could have gone back another 200 years but at considerable expense.

On the grandmother's side she could trace back until the late 18th century. One ancestor in Newcastle, a doctor, stood trial accused of poisoning his wife. My cousin got copies of the complete trial notes. An incredible read. He was acquitted.

On the other side of my family one ancestor, a great great uncle, owned the land where Gore Court Cricket Club is. In his will he bequeathed it to the Club with a covenant about not selling off any land for development (it was a very large piece of land!). Eventually, in my lifetime, the covenant was overridden and that housing estate to the left of the ground as you go towards Sittingbourne was the result! Teed off the family I can tell you.

I would encourage anyone to trace their family histories and to make sure elderly relatives are asked about their recollections before they are lost forever.

Sadly I am the elderly relative!

Don`t tell `em yer name, Pike.

Visionary Paranoid Pete jokingly told me that Ancestry.com is run by the British Insurance Association. :detective:

Don`t tell `em yer name, Pike.

Visionary Paranoid Pete jokingly told me that Ancestry.com is run by the British Insurance Association. :detective:

Blackstone bought out ancestry.com for $4.7B this year, so it's probably run by the Rothschild's lol

Had an email re offer from 23andme so i flicked through their q&a where i found some hilarious questions re trans.

I am trans how will this effect my test results etc.
What impact will it have if i use my self defined gender.

What is so funny is that the answers given to these poor deluded people is very gently worded and tries to point them to science and biology without belittling them.

Had an email re offer from 23andme so i flicked through their q&a where i found some hilarious questions re trans.

What is so funny is that the answers given to these poor deluded people is very gently worded and tries to point them to science and biology without belittling them.
Just done the Ancestry DNA thing for my mum. She thought she was very special that she was 9% Norwegian until I reminded her that most British people are probably descendant from Vikings.
She looked very disappointed 😞

On the Ancestry groups they are more direct. You can't change your DNA (unless you have the vaccines of course!)

Hey LSB , what's the latest on special offers ?
I'm looking for a good deal.
Serious question , I need to research 🙂

Hey LSB , what's the latest on special offers ?
I'm looking for a good deal.
Serious question , I need to research 🙂

For what? DNA test? Or Ancestry membership? There's always deals on the membership, and the DNA deals are usually around special events, like mother's or father's day.