An Epic Look At All Things Forest From A Fan. Trigger Happy Chairman & The Repercussions | Vital Football

An Epic Look At All Things Forest From A Fan. Trigger Happy Chairman & The Repercussions

A good, if uncomfortable read. But the author does miss a relevant point that a massive overhaul of the playing staff was needed.
My only view on this is that it is too much too soon.
Perhaps the outlay on the Portuguese trio may have been better invested in proven championship players? Or not spent at all.
No criticism of their signings or them as players, but we won't see the best of them for several months.
The back 5 have been reconstructed and we haven't seen a cohesive performance from the defensive unit.
AK has clearly decided that his current midfield needed further additions following Brentford, but the 2 new players need time to gel and blend into the team.
I honestly don't think we will see the very best of this squad till towards the season's end.
Unfortunately, patience isn't a virtue for many Forest fans and more importantly, the chairman.
AK needs 2 seasons to be judged upon.
Just my view folks.

With so many new players, AK can only assess their true worth in competitive games and hence, these first 6 games and probably the next 6 will see AK tinker whilst he tries to find the best permutations.

This is a very strong squad and the hardest job is keeping players that aren't involved happy!

I just hope that we do start to see a more settled side, with less changes - so, that we can start to build in some consistency.

With so many new players, AK can only assess their true worth in competitive games and hence, these first 6 games and probably the next 6 will see AK tinker whilst he tries to find the best permutations.

This is a very strong squad and the hardest job is keeping players that aren't involved happy!

I just hope that we do start to see a more settled side, with less changes - so, that we can start to build in some consistency.

I do think we’ve recruited too many, and with AK looking to add more, that issue will only get worse. And if we have players on the books that are happy not being involved week in week out, we’ve recruited poorly!

In the absence of a “2/3/4 year plan” announcement from the clubs hierarchy, one assumes that promotion will be the aim every season, so that in turn leaves AK hoping to keep his job after every defeat.

This all sits somewhat uncomfortably with me.

In a nutshell if Karanka stays as manager it will be shit boring football with plenty of draws and the odd one nil win

Alex: a very good summary of a mystery that has been bugging successive managers, Chairmen and fans for several years. Here’s my take on it:

In a nutshell, I believe it is the concept of the team that is the most interesting and crucial. Forest are not cohesive and fully functioning because they are not playing as a team. Successive managers, I believe, have placed too much emphasis on the individual, signing this or that good player, with insufficient thought as to how they are all going to gel together. It is when a team is fully cohesive in this way that ‘teamwork’ becomes the 12th man, turning a bunch of talented individuals into an irresistible force.

But what exactly is playing as a team? It is when there is a method; a clear ethos on how we are going to play and an environment of discipline about where a player’s role fits within the whole. Having strong personalities in the dressing room, with good leadership qualities, is important so that players buy into the philosophy and are able to implement it. Against Bournemouth, WBA and Newcastle, there was consistently very good passing and movement, the like of which I have not seen from a Forest side for a while. Good passing and movement, IMO, is the glue that holds a good team together. Our closing down and pressing, with energy, was impressive.

Sadly, in the other games so far, Forest have been disappointingly disjointed, dour, lethargic and ineffective.

Of course, the concept of playing a consistent team over a period of time, highlighted by the article, plays into the idea of the’team’. It may in fact be the most important element.

Karanka must get it right. He has had more money than any previous manager but he is yet to prove he can marshal his chosen resources to build a consistent, winning team. I hope he is given that vital commodity of time to develop his Forest team. Has he got what it takes? Time will tell.

Last edited:
Is it coincidence we play well against the likes of Newcastle, WBA, Arsenal etc but can't play against Brentford or Wigan? Is there a lack of motivation against the supposedly weaker teams, or is it that the Premier teams (or ex-prem in West Brom's case) give us more time to play?

Is it coincidence we play well against the likes of Newcastle, WBA, Arsenal etc but can't play against Brentford or Wigan? Is there a lack of motivation against the supposedly weaker teams, or is it that the Premier teams (or ex-prem in West Brom's case) give us more time to play?

I think it's more about space.

The PL teams give you more space in the gaps they leave while they are attacking.

We struggle against well organised teams that press and deny us space and time.

L1 was the worst. Every team turned up to park the bus and we really struggled at times.

Were hardly stong prem sides to be fair who didnt take the game that serious on cple of occasions and we didnt beat WBA who are a championship side

Definition of insanity : trying the same things and expecting a different result. We’ve done the “changing the manager every 5 minutes” and it didn’t work, the “tinkering with the squad, around the edges” and that didn’t work. We’ve skirted with relegation this last few years because the team just wasn’t good enough. When was the last time we had a 20 goals a season striker ? Nothing short of a wholesale rebuild could possibly arrest the 10 year slide into obscurity. I doubt whether we have that 20 goal a season striker now, but if we sack AK now then we have learnt nothing from the Fawaz years.

I would suggest we are where Wolves were season before last. We simply can’t afford to keep sacking the manager, and replacing the team when the new manager replaces the existing players to match his playing style.

But Wolves sacked both Walter Zenga and Paul Lambert before settling on Espirito Santo, so they do not quite portray what you advocate.

Definition of insanity : trying the same things and expecting a different result. We’ve done the “changing the manager every 5 minutes” and it didn’t work, the “tinkering with the squad, around the edges” and that didn’t work. We’ve skirted with relegation this last few years because the team just wasn’t good enough. When was the last time we had a 20 goals a season striker ? Nothing short of a wholesale rebuild could possibly arrest the 10 year slide into obscurity. I doubt whether we have that 20 goal a season striker now, but if we sack AK now then we have learnt nothing from the Fawaz years.

I would suggest we are where Wolves were season before last. We simply can’t afford to keep sacking the manager, and replacing the team when the new manager replaces the existing players to match his playing style.

Assombalonga was a 20 a season striker if he could manage to play 40 games.

Earnshaw was a 20 a season striker, but King Billy wasn't really fond of strikers who actually scored goals.

maybe we have to start rewriting player contracts so that they only last for the duration of the manager that signs them :)