Amazon Prime | Page 2 | Vital Football

Amazon Prime

• Thread starter Removed at own request
  • Start date
I trimmed my Sky package right down to just sport, no movies . I cancelled BT but kind of regret it but have to balance the books. My good lady really likes Netflix and Amazon . Currently I cant have it all unfortunately

For TV, we cut the cable years ago as well. We did use Playstation Vue, but that is going away in January...so we just switched to Hulu + Live TV. Love it so far. We also have Netflix.

I honestly have no idea what we are talking about on this thread! LOL

I trimmed my Sky package right down to just sport, no movies . I cancelled BT but kind of regret it but have to balance the books. My good lady really likes Netflix and Amazon . Currently I cant have it all unfortunately

If I could bin off everything other than the sports/Atlantic I would.

So much crap.

Least with Netflix when you run out of stuff you can cancel for a while and it’s not a ball ache to sign back up.

As for the football last night I ended up watching via the PlayStation and it was a bit of a joke - massive delay issues.

I watched the City game last night...after 10 minutes I switched the sound off and it was excellent....did have a small spooling failure during the half-time break but that was probably because I was streaming Jose’s press conference at the same time....overall picture quality great,match commentators full of opinions rather than commentating...better without them.

What is a VPN . ?
I thought PlayStation was something the kids used to play games on ?.
We have Virgin Media and I pay for Sky sports and get BT Sport for free !!!!! ( yeah right ! ) .
We have an Apple TV box , which is currently residing in a drawer somewhere in a spare bedroom , and an Amazon fire stick which I presume is keeping the Apple Box company . We bought the Fire stick when you could get football on it but it was such a palaver , I had to start tracking a game down about an hour before it started and still couldn’t guarantee the picture would last for more than ten minutes before buffering and /or freezing or disappearing for good .

We have two laptops but have forgotten and lost the passwords for them when we moved five years ago , so they both steadfastedly refuse to do anything except gather dust....... .’Kin things !
So I’m left with my I pad and I phone which I can miraculously get football on via Virgin Media .

We don’t have time to watch 99 % of the crap on the tele we have .
We had Netflix once but cancelled it because we paid for it for three months and actually forgot we had subscribed to it , never watched anything on it . !!!!!

I think it’s me that is the marketing mans wet dream !!!!!!
If it gets any more ridiculous to watch a game of football I will probably just give up and rely on you tube. Watching the highlights after the event .
I’m thinking of cancelling Sky Sports as it is , it’s costing a fortune every month and the pub is only a two minute walk away .
Anyone know if I plug my Amazon fire stick in , will the game be on there . I really don’t want to set up Prime and then cancel it . For two games.... I will probably forget to cancel it and then wonder why we are paying for it when the bank statement arrives ...... yes , we still get statements through the post !!
Maybe I should do a crash course on VPNs :rockon:

I use Express VPN which works fine...I used it when on holiday in the States for Spurs games no problem...as regards DAZN won’t you need a Canadian address to register?

I use Tunnelbear; it's an outstanding quality service; servers in all the geo's, rarely get an issue, in fact can't readily think when I last got one. Use it all over the World to watch local content when I'm abroad and use to the US to view content where I need a local presence i.e. address and US payment method - still have a US credit card, so can reach content just about anywhere.

Must admit, I've binned Sky except for the most basic package at £22 a month. I've also binned BT Sport after moving to Virgin for my home broadband. Virgin are about to get the boot as well as they can't seem to stand up the infrastructure and routers and that leaves me with breaks in coverage. I do have Amazon Prime and Netflix though.

Until the next level of technology comes into play you can pretty much find any game you want. The big play in media security was to detect erroneous activity through the set top box and then scramble it. That didn't work and I'm noticing that the next big move is to put the detection capability into the router itself now and scramble it that way. All that is doing is encouraging people to buy home VPN's and run their boxes or fire sticks through that method instead. I know so many people that consume by paying a one off fee a year plus a cheap box rather than pay the big companies. That's not right (legal?) but if the prices were fair it wouldn't happen so much.

Sky and BT need to remember that they aren't FAANG (Facebook, Amazon, Apple, Netflix, Google). They are not BAT (Baidu, Alibaba, Tencent) i.e. the China / Asian equivalents either. When these companies decide to get involved in football they will do what they've done in the entire tech media industry and own it. If you've got something good (e.g. YouTube, Wayz, WhatsApp, Skype etc) then they just buy you. However, these companies are much fairer on price and their services are aimed at every household.

What is a VPN . ?
I thought PlayStation was something the kids used to play games on ?.
We have Virgin Media and I pay for Sky sports and get BT Sport for free !!!!! ( yeah right ! ) .
We have an Apple TV box , which is currently residing in a drawer somewhere in a spare bedroom , and an Amazon fire stick which I presume is keeping the Apple Box company . We bought the Fire stick when you could get football on it but it was such a palaver , I had to start tracking a game down about an hour before it started and still couldn’t guarantee the picture would last for more than ten minutes before buffering and /or freezing or disappearing for good .

We have two laptops but have forgotten and lost the passwords for them when we moved five years ago , so they both steadfastedly refuse to do anything except gather dust....... .’Kin things !
So I’m left with my I pad and I phone which I can miraculously get football on via Virgin Media .

We don’t have time to watch 99 % of the crap on the tele we have .
We had Netflix once but cancelled it because we paid for it for three months and actually forgot we had subscribed to it , never watched anything on it . !!!!!

I think it’s me that is the marketing mans wet dream !!!!!!
If it gets any more ridiculous to watch a game of football I will probably just give up and rely on you tube. Watching the highlights after the event .
I’m thinking of cancelling Sky Sports as it is , it’s costing a fortune every month and the pub is only a two minute walk away .
Anyone know if I plug my Amazon fire stick in , will the game be on there . I really don’t want to set up Prime and then cancel it . For two games.... I will probably forget to cancel it and then wonder why we are paying for it when the bank statement arrives ...... yes , we still get statements through the post !!
Maybe I should do a crash course on VPNs :rockon:

VPV = Virtual Private Network.

I'll try and keep this simple as I can; it allows for an end to end connection between where you are and your local IP address to a server somewhere in another part of the World and presents you as a local user to whatever local service you want to access; the encryption is symmetric encryption that TunnelBear performs on the data that leaves your computer or device before it travels across TunnelBear's network and out to the Internet. 256 bit symmetric encryption is generally considered extremely strong. It's tough to hack if you haven't got the key, if not impossible unless you're a government employee - as they have a copy of all commercial encryption keys.

Bottom line, you can then take their local server IP address and present it as your own and so the local service will allow you in (if you use it for streaming) you can then just carry on with no interupts.

Hope that helps?!

Last edited:
Only just noticed that the kickoff times are different as well in the Amazon agreement. All the other games kick off at 7-30pm whereas the Liverpool game kicks off at 8-15pm. That means you can watch non-stop football from 7-30pm until just after 9pm if you switch channels at half time and after our game.

Unfussy, costly and exactly the same as before, welcome to Amazon Prime's brave world

• Luke_Edwards-small.png
3 December 2019 • 9:40pm

TELEMMGLPICT000218004163_trans_NvBQzQNjv4Bqo6V3cvctqdfs7HwV5UCM95PrEaBg5_I6PyMCpsBvdWc.jpeg
Michael Owen was one of a few familiar faces on show as Amazon Prime made its Premier League bow Credit: AFP
Welcome to the brave new world of Amazon Prime, an exciting new frontier in the broadcasting of live football which looks, well, exactly the same as the old one but they want you to pay for it anyway.

If you were expecting to be dazzled, you will have been disappointed. Much like the grey suits worn by pundits Alan Shearer (yep, him again) Roberto Martinez and new face Nigel de Jong for Burnley vs Manchester City, it was unfussy and safe, much like the joke about them delivered by host Gabby Logan (you might see a theme developing here).

Amazon have paid £90m to screen 20 matches a season in the middle of winter for three years, when audiences tend to be higher, but other than the extra cost they are not going to offer anything that revolutionises Premier League coverage and there are some weaknesses, not least the fact the images broadcast were more than a minute behind the live action, which is poor if you are also following the game on social media.

Other than that, there was nothing wrong with the opening night, it ticked all the boxes without offering any new ones. Like the Fast and Furious franchise, you knew you were going to get the same tried-and-tested formula that has been successful elsewhere.

Lots of chat beforehand, some analysis pre- and post-match and plenty of cameras offering different angles and perspectives. Filming the commentator and co-commentator talking before kick-off was not inflating, let alone, reinventing the wheel.
TELEMMGLPICT000218006102_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqKyoPOSa4csgRfN65abincjDHfakANaIL_FRsM71Qd8Y.jpeg

Streaming games online meant a delay for viewers Credit: PA

The fact that Amazon are employing many of the same faces and voices already well known to British audiences is a sign they wanted, like supermarket own versions, to mimic other successful brands rather than launch a new product.
They are the third company to enter the Premier League television market. They probably will not be the last. Google are circulating, as are Apple, things could splinter even more in the future and the cost of having every base covered is becoming a problem for many armchair fans.

If you were already an Amazon Prime subscriber, that was not an issue and the hassle, even for the most technologically resistant, was not off putting, although my smart TV was not smart enough to stream without paying for a Firestick.
That will put some people off, I went to watch it at my parent’s house as they had a newer television rather than pay £20 (discounted from £40) for the Firestick. But if you were struggling with the television, you could always stream the game (and up to two more on different devices on the same subscription) on a laptop or tablet.

At least Mamadou Sakho will remember tonight Credit: Getty images
The one thing you certainly need, though, is a strong, quick and reliable Wi-Fi connection which, as pointed out by the Labour party in the build up to this General Election, is not something everybody enjoys.

As a result, this does put Amazon at a disadvantage and when it comes to the crunch, it is doubtful this will do much to increase subscription numbers.
If you had to cancel Sky or BT to save money to pay for this, would you? Probably not because there are only 20 games in December. Given this is just more of the same in every way, unless you already have Amazon Prime, you should probably go to the pub to watch it or do something else instead.
At least Crystal Palace’s Mamadou Sakho will always remember the launch night, as he became the first player to be sent off during an Amazon Prime fixture against Bournemouth.

Sadly, he probably won’t even be the answer to a pub quiz question. Nobody will remember this was supposed to be a memorable night for the Premier League because it all looked and sounded like so many others.

I use Express VPN which works fine...I used it when on holiday in the States for Spurs games no problem...as regards DAZN won’t you need a Canadian address to register?

I’ve not looked into it fully

But I imagine PayPal would get around the address needing to be correct?

Unfussy, costly and exactly the same as before, welcome to Amazon Prime's brave world

• Luke_Edwards-small.png
3 December 2019 • 9:40pm

TELEMMGLPICT000218004163_trans_NvBQzQNjv4Bqo6V3cvctqdfs7HwV5UCM95PrEaBg5_I6PyMCpsBvdWc.jpeg
Michael Owen was one of a few familiar faces on show as Amazon Prime made its Premier League bow Credit: AFP
Welcome to the brave new world of Amazon Prime, an exciting new frontier in the broadcasting of live football which looks, well, exactly the same as the old one but they want you to pay for it anyway.

If you were expecting to be dazzled, you will have been disappointed. Much like the grey suits worn by pundits Alan Shearer (yep, him again) Roberto Martinez and new face Nigel de Jong for Burnley vs Manchester City, it was unfussy and safe, much like the joke about them delivered by host Gabby Logan (you might see a theme developing here).

Amazon have paid £90m to screen 20 matches a season in the middle of winter for three years, when audiences tend to be higher, but other than the extra cost they are not going to offer anything that revolutionises Premier League coverage and there are some weaknesses, not least the fact the images broadcast were more than a minute behind the live action, which is poor if you are also following the game on social media.

Other than that, there was nothing wrong with the opening night, it ticked all the boxes without offering any new ones. Like the Fast and Furious franchise, you knew you were going to get the same tried-and-tested formula that has been successful elsewhere.

Lots of chat beforehand, some analysis pre- and post-match and plenty of cameras offering different angles and perspectives. Filming the commentator and co-commentator talking before kick-off was not inflating, let alone, reinventing the wheel.
TELEMMGLPICT000218006102_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqKyoPOSa4csgRfN65abincjDHfakANaIL_FRsM71Qd8Y.jpeg

Streaming games online meant a delay for viewers Credit: PA

The fact that Amazon are employing many of the same faces and voices already well known to British audiences is a sign they wanted, like supermarket own versions, to mimic other successful brands rather than launch a new product.
They are the third company to enter the Premier League television market. They probably will not be the last. Google are circulating, as are Apple, things could splinter even more in the future and the cost of having every base covered is becoming a problem for many armchair fans.

If you were already an Amazon Prime subscriber, that was not an issue and the hassle, even for the most technologically resistant, was not off putting, although my smart TV was not smart enough to stream without paying for a Firestick.
That will put some people off, I went to watch it at my parent’s house as they had a newer television rather than pay £20 (discounted from £40) for the Firestick. But if you were struggling with the television, you could always stream the game (and up to two more on different devices on the same subscription) on a laptop or tablet.

At least Mamadou Sakho will remember tonight Credit: Getty images
The one thing you certainly need, though, is a strong, quick and reliable Wi-Fi connection which, as pointed out by the Labour party in the build up to this General Election, is not something everybody enjoys.

As a result, this does put Amazon at a disadvantage and when it comes to the crunch, it is doubtful this will do much to increase subscription numbers.
If you had to cancel Sky or BT to save money to pay for this, would you? Probably not because there are only 20 games in December. Given this is just more of the same in every way, unless you already have Amazon Prime, you should probably go to the pub to watch it or do something else instead.
At least Crystal Palace’s Mamadou Sakho will always remember the launch night, as he became the first player to be sent off during an Amazon Prime fixture against Bournemouth.

Sadly, he probably won’t even be the answer to a pub quiz question. Nobody will remember this was supposed to be a memorable night for the Premier League because it all looked and sounded like so many others.

The author, Luke Edwards, must be some ex public schoolboy that has never spent a single moment with proper football fans. My guess is he's always had money in his pocket? This is as snobbish as it gets.....

He is surely forgetting that the Sky / BT / Premier League monopoly allows only a third of the country to watch football. It is totally prohibitive on price to most households. Additionally, it costs pubs something like £20k per year to have the Sky / BT sports packages and that is reflected in the cost of your pint. Trust me, going to the pub multiple times in December to watch football is not cost efficient compared to paying £79 for a years subscription of Prime. It's completely the opposite and less than one month's Sky subscription including the sports package.

I watched the City game. It was perfectly fine.

The author, Luke Edwards, must be some ex public schoolboy that has never spent a single moment with proper football fans. My guess is he's always had money in his pocket? This is as snobbish as it gets.....

He is surely forgetting that the Sky / BT / Premier League monopoly allows only a third of the country to watch football. It is totally prohibitive on price to most households. Additionally, it costs pubs something like £20k per year to have the Sky / BT sports packages and that is reflected in the cost of your pint. Trust me, going to the pub multiple times in December to watch football is not cost efficient compared to paying £79 for a years subscription of Prime. It's completely the opposite and less than one month's Sky subscription including the sports package.

I watched the City game. It was perfectly fine.
True, it is cheaper to pay to watch it on Amazon than go to the pub, but if you go to the pub you get to drink draught beer and share the atmosphere with fellow Spurs fans.