Am I a killjoy, miserable git, winner or all of the above? | Vital Football

Am I a killjoy, miserable git, winner or all of the above?

Littlest Hobo

Vital 1st Team Regular
Basically the team I manage has reached 2 cup finals which we will plY next month. One is the league cup but the other is the county cup. Our club isnt the traditional trophy chasers you normally get in kids football. We have had most of them together since 5yrs old and now at 12 the payback is starting for our loyalty to the less able players and their loyalty to us.

Anyhow I have personally won these cups in every age group from the age of 10 up to adult football. I know how good fun it is to win them and I can still remember my first win like it was yesterday.

So I get to training today and one of the managers of one of our other teams said they had been discussing what we have achieved (we haven't achieved anything) and that they want to put on a coach for taking the kids and their families to the match. He looked like I had pissed all over his chips when I said I would be livid if they considered doing any such thing.

My reasons are.
1) we haven't achieved anything
2) they are kids and kids football should not be made into a big deal
3) they don't go on a coach now so changing their normal pre match is stupid
4) all the kids together for a 1hr coach trip, messing about and buzzing with their families is not good prep
5) they will get on the pitch and just have a massive come down

I suggested letting parents go on the coach but no players. I would prefer nothing different to a normal match.

Anyhow fast forward to tonight, I have just had the club chairwoman obviously trying to be tactful about them discussing this without my input and trying to persuade me on something it feels like they have already decided on.

Am I in the wrong here

No. What a naffing waste of money. This is the parents acting up.

Must admit that was my first thought 80. But I hadn't added tightwad to the title.

I really can't see the point in it

Ah the old lovely parental power... Stick to your guns... Perhaps explain especially to the kids how the professionals stick to their plans and the supporters go to the games on their own... From experience this will make them feel extra special .... In some ways patens sometimes do present themselves as the true barriers....

There's nothing wrong with getting as much support as you can to the game (Parents/family/friends) - if the club want to arrange coaches for them, then great.

I'd reiterate that you've got this far by keeping the kids disciplined to your pre-match routine, and it is possible that their nerves for these big games may already be bigger/worse that normal and if the club do want them to succeed, the best way forward is to keep to your tried and tested schedule/pre-match routine.

Take my route and everyone gets to win, as after these games, then you can have a club get together such as a barbeque/fun day etc with a few back slapping speeches etc.

The key for you I suspect is keeping a level head, NOT being 'livid'...remember, everyone wants to share in success, so don't be a complete precious killjoy and stop them within the club from ALL being part of your progress and hoped for success.

It's a very big deal when a kids club not used to success finally gets some and everyone will want to savour and join in the moment.

I wish you every single success.

let us know how you get on.

Thanks guys. Just sent a politely worded email to the club pointing out that although I feel its a club occasion I don't feel changing the pre match routine would benefit anyone. Family and friends are most welcome and we ourselves will be bringing quite a few. But they will not be getting in the way until after the match.

Thankfully I waited until this morning and didn't mention being livid Ex :-)

I think my first response was that I didn't want others involved in decisions on my team but after reading this again, I know its correct to stick to my guns.

"They are kids and kids football should not be made into a big deal."

Why not?

You've not won anything yet, no, but getting to a cup final when you don't normally is still an achievement, and a big deal should be made of it.

I can see why you don't want to change a normal routine, but I think being livid about the idea is a bit much. I can completely see why others would want to enjoy the occasion, and make something of it.

That's fair enough SG4L. I don't agree, but its fair enough.

A big deal should not be made of getting to a cup final imo. That's the kind of thing losers do. Winners keep calm, win the match then celebrate.

The livid comment was a bit strong but I think, as I said above I was probably more annoyed that someone was trying to make a decision about my teams preparations when it had nothing to do with them.

To give you further info, part of the conversation included the debate about kids attitudes to winning. My point was that if we put too much onus on the pre match, then by the time they are 2-0 down in 10mins (We were 2-0 down in the semi and we turned it around to 4-2) the lads will be like startled rabbits. They will then come off the pitch upset and confused about something they should be enjoying. The response was that his team come off the pitch happy regardless of the result....... This is the team that is always struggling for players, gets beat a lot and moans and groans about other teams always getting the better players. Hmmm

On the flip side though, making it a big occasion, making them aware that getting to a cup final is a big deal (because it is), could motivate them more to do as well as they can and win? If you treat it as "just another game" they may not be as fussed about it?

Yep, I understand that thought. I have know these kids for 7yrs. I know what makes them tick and excitement doesn't have the effect you describe. It doesn't motivate them, it makes them giddy. If I miss a match then it is 99% of the time reported back to me that their attention was not up to much. They tend to revert to messing about and not concentrating. It doesn't take much to take their eye off the ball so to speak.

A cup final is only a big deal if you think you are never going to get into another one again. I think the other way, its just another match until you have won it.

LH - all the best for the game - keep us updated on the score and the reaction on the pre-match warm up as it were !

Went to watch the other semi yesterday. Interesting game.

They have a poor forward line

They have a CM who is excellent on the ball but tubby. Either sits on edge of opposition box or sits on edge of his own box. Takes him ages to get from one end to the other. BUT like a stuck watch he is in the right place at the right time at least a couple of times and he scored a goal because of it.

They pump balls into the box at every opportunity, even from free kicks inside their half.

CH sits half way in his own half even when ball is in opposition box

There seems to be a fair bit to go at there for our lads. Glad I went to watch and almost worth the £25 parking ticket I got :-(

What a shocker the 25quid parking fee... good luck with the match... sounds like CM got the midas touch and Pullis has been in touch with them - especially the CH.... Come on LH win it for the Spurs ...

LH...A coach may be a step too far. Now the fair weather is here...Have you considered the old White suits?, very smart!!.

League cup final is this Saturday. County cup is following week. Had the last league game of season on Thursday.

Will update next week with scores.

Good luck LH - to you and your team .... Come on you Littlest Hobo-ians ....