Alternative Sports Thread | Vital Football

Alternative Sports Thread

muttley

Alert Team
I know some of you enjoy other sports. Like we do with "Other Games", thought I'd throw up a generic thread to capture everything else that resembles sport.

Remember, it's only a sport of you have to change your shoes and gardening doesn't count !!!

I know there are some cricket fans on here so we can start there. James Anderson becomes England's most capped player at test level today. Now if every one of our Spurs squad had his mentality, we'd be cooking on gas.

Let's go.

This last week or so I have been watching the Hockey on BT, bloody hell there is some skill there, fast n accurate.
In an England game v Belgium if I remember, England won 2-1, but there was one pass/incident that had me out of my chair, and England defender whacked/played the ball over top of the opposition's defence for the attacker/striker to catch it cleanly on his stick and charge off towards goal, unfortunately saved well by the GK, but I just thought what a bloody pass.
Anybody else watch the Hockey.?

This last week or so I have been watching the Hockey on BT, bloody hell there is some skill there, fast n accurate.
In an England game v Belgium if I remember, England won 2-1, but there was one pass/incident that had me out of my chair, and England defender whacked/played the ball over top of the opposition's defence for the attacker/striker to catch it cleanly on his stick and charge off towards goal, unfortunately saved well by the GK, but I just thought what a bloody pass.

Love watching Ice hockey live. The fans are crazy. Guaranteed a fight on the ice as well.

We could do with him in center mid.

Ice hockey doesn't seem to have as many big hits or fights anyone, that was the main reason why I would keep an eye on the occasional highlight video. Then of course get stuck in the never ending youtube suggestions of it..

On hockey, I don't really know what is going on in terms of what is a foul or not, so never been able to get in to it. It's seen as a bit of a posh protestant sport here in Northern Ireland (not sure what the rep is in England) so I've never had so much exposure to it. Which is strange as I play a lot of hurling which would likely have transferable skills. I'd argue hurling is twice as skilled...you have to do both all that work on the ground but also in the air too!

I know some of you enjoy other sports. Like we do with "Other Games", thought I'd throw up a generic thread to capture everything else that resembles sport.

Remember, it's only a sport of you have to change your shoes and gardening doesn't count !!!

I know there are some cricket fans on here so we can start there. James Anderson becomes England's most capped player at test level today. Now if every one of our Spurs squad had his mentality, we'd be cooking on gas.

Let's go.
I remember when Jimmy was breaking into the side, my brother telling me he's gonna be a great one and I laughed my arse off.

:clown:

After England turning down that run chase on the last day in the last test, I'm luke warm about this one. Seems the middle order bailed them out today.

Ice hockey doesn't seem to have as many big hits or fights anyone, that was the main reason why I would keep an eye on the occasional highlight video. Then of course get stuck in the never ending youtube suggestions of it..

On hockey, I don't really know what is going on in terms of what is a foul or not, so never been able to get in to it. It's seen as a bit of a posh protestant sport here in Northern Ireland (not sure what the rep is in England) so I've never had so much exposure to it. Which is strange as I play a lot of hurling which would likely have transferable skills. I'd argue hurling is twice as skilled...you have to do both all that work on the ground but also in the air too!
My sister dated a bloke who played Ice Hockey years ago, and watching a documentary about it, it seems that the game was invented in Canada based on Irish immigrants having a "puck" about on the ice.

Maybe you should give it a go!

My sister dated a bloke who played Ice Hockey years ago, and watching a documentary about it, it seems that the game was invented in Canada based on Irish immigrants having a "puck" about on the ice.

Maybe you should give it a go!
I had no idea that that was the case. I presumed it originated from Russia/eastern Europe.

I can barely stand when on ice skates so there's no hope of that!

You're a brave man Mee.

As a youngster I used to spend my summer holidays in Ireland (South). There was no interest in football in the area I used to stay. It was either hurling or gaelic football.

The first thing they showed me was how to defend myself with a hurley. Or at least defend myself from having it wrapped around my head.

It feels like I still have the bruises today. Looking back though I'm sure they took great pleasure from giving it to the plastic paddy from London.

You're a brave man Mee.

As a youngster I used to spend my summer holidays in Ireland (South). There was no interest in football in the area I used to stay. It was either hurling or gaelic football.

The first thing they showed me was how to defend myself with a hurley. Or at least defend myself from having it wrapped around my head.

It feels like I still have the bruises today. Looking back though I'm sure they took great pleasure from giving it to the plastic paddy from London.
I had similar experiences. I remember one summer tossing the sliothar up waaay too high and missing it every time it came down. Some French lads on holiday were watching everyone else smashing it and asked my cousin's friend if I was retarded or something.

His reply, "Nah, he's just English!"

No