Almost the second best live rock album ever | Vital Football

Almost the second best live rock album ever

Wayne.Kerr

Vital Champions League
The Allman Brothers Live at the Fillmore East is undoubtedly the best live rock album ever. Now the 'Allman Brothers Band Fillmore West '71' recorded a couple of months earlier has been re-issued and really is a close second.

That is all other than to mention that Bon Iver has just released an album.

Would need to listen to the albums you mentioned but it'd have to go some to beat 'Live at Leeds' by The Who or 'Unplugged' by Alice in Chains for me.

The Allman Brothers Live at the Fillmore East is undoubtedly the best live rock album ever. Now the 'Allman Brothers Band Fillmore West '71' recorded a couple of months earlier has been re-issued and really is a close second.

First, I presume you have the double CD of the Fillmore East concerts. The (double) album is outstanding, but the CD is even better produced.

As far as best....?? Wheels of Fire Vol. 2 must run it close - OK, only one album, but THAT version of Crossroads alone must propel it to super stardom.

And for other live albums, Quicksilver Messenger Service's 'Happy Trails' and Jefferson Airplane's 'Bless It's Pointed Little Head' are brilliant in their core simplicity.

Finally - going out on a limb here - best live jazz (or jazz-rock album) is surely United Jazz and Rock Ensemble's 'Opus Sechs'. Anyone else even heard of it, let alone rate it as highly as I do?

First, I presume you have the double CD of the Fillmore East concerts. The (double) album is outstanding, but the CD is even better produced.
I do have the double CD but I also have two copies of the vinyl double bought at the time of the albums release in 1971. One was for my mate who never pitched up - well he did about 20 years later - so while both are in very good nick one is near perfect with only slight shelf wear on the cover not bad for things so fragile nearly 50 years old. Only ever played on Thorens TD something or other and later a Linn Sondek

I do have the double CD but I also have two copies of the vinyl double bought at the time of the albums release in 1971. One was for my mate who never pitched up - well he did about 20 years later - so while both are in very good nick one is near perfect with only slight shelf wear on the cover not bad for things so fragile nearly 50 years old. Only ever played on Thorens TD something or other and later a Linn Sondek

Some great albums mentioned but Neil Young's Weld is great imho.

Your mate turned up twenty years later and you didn't give them their record?!

I borrowed it from a friend at school in the mid 70s and bought the double cd for a fiver about 5 years ago out of nostalgia and was disappointed tbh. Its certainly not rock just loads of old blues numbers