Almost kicked, manhandled into submission...ref didn't help. | Vital Football

Almost kicked, manhandled into submission...ref didn't help.

Spursex

Alert Team
Got to say, I thought the ref was exceptionally poor; he was overwhelmed and I hope he doesn't get given another game - probably the worst ref I've seen in a very long time:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/...ng-room-was-like-a-scene-in-m-a-s-h-jr5sn7kfp

Gareth Southgate said that the England dressing room was like a “scene from M*A*S*H” with several key players needing fitness checks before Saturday’s quarter-final with Sweden. Dele Alli and Kyle Walker were substituted before England triumphed on penalties, while the captain Harry Kane appeared to end a watershed night for the national team in discomfort.

England were due to travel from Moscow straight back to their base in Repino with the showdown with Sweden in Samara looming large. “It’s like a scene from M*A*S*H in that dressing room, some from cramp and others needing assessment,” Southgate said. “We’ll know more in the next 36 hours. We’ve talked a lot to this team about making their own history, and they’ve bought into everything we’ve tried to do with them.

“I’m already thinking about the next game. I’d have liked a week to enjoy this one, but we don’t have that because Sweden are a team I respect hugely. We don’t have a good record against them.

“They have a plan and a clear way of playing, and it’s bloody difficult to play against. They’re greater than the sum of their parts. We’re high as a kite now, and we’ll be back at Repino at 6am.

“Today is a special moment for this team. It’ll hopefully give belief to the generations of players that will follow. Maybe we’re getting a bit smarter. Maybe we’re playing our game more by the rules the rest of the world are playing. But we kept our dignity and sportsmanship.

“We always have to believe in what is possible in life and not be hindered by history or expectations. These young players are showing that.”

The ref was almot kicked and manhandled into submission and var did not help.

After match comments from Colombia...Falcao...we are proud
to be Colombian ...well well.....says it all....

The ref was almot kicked and manhandled into submission and var did not help.

After match comments from Colombia...Falcao...we are proud
to be Colombian ...well well.....says it all....

IN fairness, not fighting dirty and doing anything you can get away with and doing all things possible can mean that a post match death threat from a disappointed countryman , is a real one....

I have no sympathy for the ref whatsoever. An example was when Colombia wouldn't clear the penalty area after Kane was fouled. Quite simply, the ref either gets an empty penalty box or brandishes the cards. That's always been the way, and he is totally empowered. He bottled it.

You also either do nothing or brandish the red card for the headbutt. There is no logical argument that allows him to talk to VAR and just dish out a yellow. That is as pathetic as it gets.

The choice is now FIFA's. Use technology to clean up the dark arts of the game or continue with their stupid obsession of keeping 22 players on the pitch. They can't have both if they are applying the laws of the game correctly. They need to accept for a while there will be more yellows and reds until the players adjust. They also need to apply retrospective punishments for guys like Neymar and some of the Colombians who had no respect for the officials whatsoever. Put that seed of doubt into the players minds and the game improves.

I have no sympathy for the ref whatsoever. An example was when Colombia wouldn't clear the penalty area after Kane was fouled. Quite simply, the ref either gets an empty penalty box or brandishes the cards. That's always been the way, and he is totally empowered. He bottled it.

You also either do nothing or brandish the red card for the headbutt. There is no logical argument that allows him to talk to VAR and just dish out a yellow. That is as pathetic as it gets.

The choice is now FIFA's. Use technology to clean up the dark arts of the game or continue with their stupid obsession of keeping 22 players on the pitch. They can't have both if they are applying the laws of the game correctly. They need to accept for a while there will be more yellows and reds until the players adjust. They also need to apply retrospective punishments for guys like Neymar and some of the Colombians who had no respect for the officials whatsoever. Put that seed of doubt into the players minds and the game improves.

Agree wholeheartedly. 4 minutes before Kane was allowed to take the pen because the Colombians were trying to bully the ref. Gave that other **** time to try and scuff up the penalty spot, would have loved it if one of their players twisted their ankle in the divot he made later in the game.

Ref was weak. All he needed to do was say "anyone who isn't out the box in the next 5 seconds gets a yellow" and they'll have moved pretty quickly.

While I agree the ref was weak, after the Ronaldo yellow only for his in the face reaction it is obvious the refs are being restrained.

I have a lot of contact with rugby referees and a lot of what gets questioned by coaches and spectators has been related to instructions the referee team received before the game.

Also, games in Latin America look like that a lot. There are cultural issues as well. Until universal acceptance, like rugby has, that the ref is untouchable is introduced this will continually be a source of contention.

One note, Geiger refs in the MLS, it's not the best example of ref respect out there.

Agree wholeheartedly. 4 minutes before Kane was allowed to take the pen because the Colombians were trying to bully the ref. Gave that other **** time to try and scuff up the penalty spot, would have loved it if one of their players twisted their ankle in the divot he made later in the game.

Ref was weak. All he needed to do was say "anyone who isn't out the box in the next 5 seconds gets a yellow" and they'll have moved pretty quickly.
I clearly saw him say to Sanchez ( not our one ) if you don't leave the area you will get sent off . He had already been booked .
And can anyone explain how leaving the pitch to jump into the crowd to celebrate after scoring their goal ,also goes unpunished. There must have been eight of them that went into the supporters area . The whole scenario only emphasised how poor that ref was

Sorry, but England were woefully unprepared for the kind of opponent they were set to face. Surprising. You'd think the Panama match would have opened their eyes.

Alot of people are quite used to watching that type of game.

Don't agree...in the main despite intense provocation England did not rise to the bait except for stupid Dickie Henderson when he got himself booked ...rest of the time overall our players kept their cool in a tense hot atmosphere...uncontrolled by the wefferwee.

Mmmm no question the Columbians are thugs, but there was some sketchy scrappy sh|t going on from both sides. Henderson could've gotten in real trouble for head butting Mina, and Stones just may have cleated Falcao's face.

Super difficult for the Ref, I've been watching this kind of "football" for a couple decades and it's why alot of these teams can't go the distance, they murder themselves with stupidity.

The only thing I wish the ref had done, was after the gangup on the penalty award, he should have jogged over to Peckerman and told him in no uncertain terms, that if he didn't gain control of his maniac Captain and the rest of his goons, he would eject the coach form the sidelines and red card Falcao.

I believe that would have put an end to it.

They physically pushed him, I just can't beleive that's in any way allowable. I know that in the NFL, ANY contact with a Referee by a player on the field, that isn't totally incidental, is an automatic ejection from the game. So is swearing at a Ref I believe. That should be adopted by FIFA.

" They physically pushed him, I just can't beleive that's in any way allowable. I know that in the NFL, ANY contact with a Referee by a player on the field, that isn't totally incidental, is an automatic ejection from the game. So is swearing at a Ref I believe. That should be adopted by FIFA. "

Believe it or not, it's already in the rules - it's a Red Card, but only if the ref wants to enforce it..

If the ref is too weak to do it - it's ignored by the fourth official, all that happens is the ref assessor (sitting in the stands) puts it in his post match performance of the ref - the ref is dropped from the roster or 're-trained'..

I clearly saw him say to Sanchez ( not our one ) if you don't leave the area you will get sent off . He had already been booked .

I didn't notice that but that's the best evidence of weakness there is. If you threaten to card someone unless they do as you say, they don't and it goes unpunished the rest of the players will see it as fair game to do whatever and then be INCENSED if they do get a card.

Anyway - read he's had a couple other high profile poor games. Best ref in MLS must be the equivalent of best skier in Libya.

I didn't notice that but that's the best evidence of weakness there is. If you threaten to card someone unless they do as you say, they don't and it goes unpunished the rest of the players will see it as fair game to do whatever and then be INCENSED if they do get a card.

Anyway - read he's had a couple other high profile poor games. Best ref in MLS must be the equivalent of best skier in Libya.

As xvausch said.....we see a fair bit of that type of football in this neck of the woods. Geiger is used to it and managed to that end. It's a cultural difference. It's not right or wrong.

disagree... If players push and surround a referee, interfering with the game, trying the threaten and undermine his position whilst shielding him from seeing a player vandalising the penalty spot and he doesn't act on his only way of curbing that behaviour that culture has misunderstood what officiating is about.

I've seen my fair share of feisty matches and I've seen them managed well by good referees or managed badly by poor ones.

John Stones has said that's the dirtiest team he has played against. Head butt red card, wrestling Kane to the ground red card, digging up the pen spot red card, pushing the ref red card, barging a player while walking off red card ( one of their coaches). Stones also said there was lots more not seen or heard.

John Stones has said that's the dirtiest team he has played against. Head butt red card, wrestling Kane to the ground red card, digging up the pen spot red card, pushing the ref red card, barging a player while walking off red card ( one of their coaches). Stones also said there was lots more not seen or heard.

And as far as I am concerned the England team were outstanding in the face of that. It's a coming of age situation.

agree with that... A couple got dragged into things once or twice, Henderson was a bit stupid, but apart from that I thought they handled themselves well. Whilst Sterling has had a poor world cup as a player, considering everyone is out to wind him up and the media has been picking on him he's done well not to engage.

I'm not sure how you can replay that ,but it's in the Melee after the penalty award . The camera was full on the refs face and you can lip read what the ref said . It may be on YouTube but I haven't looked . Could be a job for Spurs Eagle ha ha