Alli v Jose? | Vital Football

Alli v Jose?

Spursex

Alert Team
Something is going horribly wrong with Dele Alli and José Mourinho

Tony Cascarino

Tuesday September 15 2020, 12.01am, The Times

When José Mourinho took over at Tottenham Hotspur last November, people were quick to hail the rejuvenating effect that he appeared to be having on an out-of-form Dele Alli. That seems a long time ago. Something has gone horribly wrong between the two of them and I believe that Alli is fighting to save his Spurs career.
The 24-year-old suffered the embarrassment of being taken off at half-time during Tottenham’s woeful defeat by Everton on Sunday. Mourinho said the substitution was “tactical” — I don’t believe that for a moment.
Mourinho substituted Eric Dier after 30 minutes of a Champions League game against Olympiacos but then went out of his way to almost apologise to the player for the humiliation. I don’t believe that’s going to happen with Alli. The manager took him off because he is unhappy with him and Alli knows that. He may even think that he is not wanted by José.

Alli has lost the faith of three managers during his career

Alli burst on to the scene as a teenager when he joined Spurs from MK Dons. In 2017 he was being lauded so highly after his two-goal display against Real Madrid in the Champions League at Wembley that knowledgeable people in the game said he should leave Spurs for the Spanish giants — he was that good.
He’s still young but in 20 games this year Alli has scored only two goals. There has been a massive decline in performance and he is at the point where he may almost have to start his career all over again. He just does not seem the same lean, agile, graceful player. He runs differently and is more filled out and robotic. The hamstring injuries will have had an effect because he will have spent more time doing gym work, but it has been detrimental.

He has also lost the faith of three managers: Mauricio Pochettino had been dropping him before he left Spurs, he was omitted from the England team by Gareth Southgate and now he has lost favour with Mourinho.
The Amazon Prime documentary All or Nothing revealed that Alli was called a “lazy trainer” by Mourinho when he met the Spurs squad for the first time and, after Sunday, I suspect the relationship has soured further. If the pair hadn’t had heated words already, I’m sure Alli would have spoken out in the dressing room, having been taken off after 45 minutes. There is conflict there and I’m sure Alli won’t take it lying down.
Tottenham’s troubles are not all down to Alli, of course. It used to be said that to be coached by José was a huge thing for a player’s developement. Not any more. He has failed to make one player in that squad better than they were under Pochettino

Mourinho accused his side of not closing down quickly enough against Everton but they are too slow to be able to do it. Ben Davies, Matt Doherty, Dier, Toby Alderweireld, Harry Winks and Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg are, for me, six of the slowest players in the Premier League. If that is not addressed soon, I see this decline continuing

I really don't think there's a story here.

Poch was notorious for his late substitutions and used to get slated by Spurs fans. Jose, on the other hand, has always been very proactive with his substitutions. It's nothing unusual at all for him to make a substitution at half time. He has even been known to make all three subs at half time.

If Dele is angry with Jose (and it's a big if) then he needs to channel his anger onto the football pitch. Start influencing the game so he is undroppable. He was by no means the worst player in the first 45 minutes on Sunday and like any good pro felt miffed at having been hooked, but Jose has already explained that the decision was tactical.

Something is going horribly wrong with Dele Alli and José Mourinho

Tony Cascarino

Tuesday September 15 2020, 12.01am, The Times

When José Mourinho took over at Tottenham Hotspur last November, people were quick to hail the rejuvenating effect that he appeared to be having on an out-of-form Dele Alli. That seems a long time ago. Something has gone horribly wrong between the two of them and I believe that Alli is fighting to save his Spurs career.
The 24-year-old suffered the embarrassment of being taken off at half-time during Tottenham’s woeful defeat by Everton on Sunday. Mourinho said the substitution was “tactical” — I don’t believe that for a moment.
Mourinho substituted Eric Dier after 30 minutes of a Champions League game against Olympiacos but then went out of his way to almost apologise to the player for the humiliation. I don’t believe that’s going to happen with Alli. The manager took him off because he is unhappy with him and Alli knows that. He may even think that he is not wanted by José.

Alli has lost the faith of three managers during his career

Alli burst on to the scene as a teenager when he joined Spurs from MK Dons. In 2017 he was being lauded so highly after his two-goal display against Real Madrid in the Champions League at Wembley that knowledgeable people in the game said he should leave Spurs for the Spanish giants — he was that good.
He’s still young but in 20 games this year Alli has scored only two goals. There has been a massive decline in performance and he is at the point where he may almost have to start his career all over again. He just does not seem the same lean, agile, graceful player. He runs differently and is more filled out and robotic. The hamstring injuries will have had an effect because he will have spent more time doing gym work, but it has been detrimental.

He has also lost the faith of three managers: Mauricio Pochettino had been dropping him before he left Spurs, he was omitted from the England team by Gareth Southgate and now he has lost favour with Mourinho.
The Amazon Prime documentary All or Nothing revealed that Alli was called a “lazy trainer” by Mourinho when he met the Spurs squad for the first time and, after Sunday, I suspect the relationship has soured further. If the pair hadn’t had heated words already, I’m sure Alli would have spoken out in the dressing room, having been taken off after 45 minutes. There is conflict there and I’m sure Alli won’t take it lying down.
Tottenham’s troubles are not all down to Alli, of course. It used to be said that to be coached by José was a huge thing for a player’s developement. Not any more. He has failed to make one player in that squad better than they were under Pochettino

Mourinho accused his side of not closing down quickly enough against Everton but they are too slow to be able to do it. Ben Davies, Matt Doherty, Dier, Toby Alderweireld, Harry Winks and Pierre-Emile Hojbjerg are, for me, six of the slowest players in the Premier League. If that is not addressed soon, I see this decline continuing
Complete speculation by a former Chelsea twat based upon his guesswork and no factual information.

Dele may come across as stupid and impulsive but all his managers and coaches who have worked with him say how he is not the type to kick up a stink and is very professional. He punishes himself more than anybody and perhaps is a far more fragile character than he lets on so I can't see Dele being problematic.

I'm angry with Jose over it. I was convinced it was another soft tissue thing and an easy explanation. Then I saw Jose's comments and just thought "double standards".

Jose's explanation was also poor as well. He basically said that he thought Everton would start with Allan and Gomes deep and therefore put Dele there to get in amongst them. He then noticed that Everton only had Allan deep and Gomes was up with Doucoure. So he took him off.

The answer was simple. Just put Dele and Winks either side of Hojberg and match them up player for player. That would have meant that James couldn't come inside so much. Then give Kane one of only a few rollockings he's probably ever had in his Spurs career and tell him to stop sulking like a baby and start putting the effort in. If there was one sub to make it was Bergwijn for Moura and then get Doherty to be more selective in his forays forward.

So I felt sorry for Dele because his manager got it so wrong and he looked to me like he was starting to settle. The rest of the match made Jose look a right mug with Sissoko barely finding a Spurs player and Moura playing like an U10 again. We were simply shocking down our right all second half whilst a guy like Gedson sat in the stands.

Dele may come across as stupid and impulsive but all his managers and coaches who have worked with him say how he is not the type to kick up a stink and is very professional. He punishes himself more than anybody and perhaps is a far more fragile character than he lets on so I can't see Dele being problematic.

No, but you can see him having a private meeting with DL and telling him how he feels he's been treated. And possibly requested options away, at least for the time being.

We only ever know a smidge of what happens behind doors. Amazon show gave us a kind of look behind, and frankly I just dont have much respect for how Jose manages people. I dont think he shows much respect for the players at all.

I'm still in possession of a bit of hope, but this man-management style is something Im vehemently opposed to, and have had it out in person with a number of idiots who Ive seen coaching this same way. If this continues, its gonna get muy asquerso, and might see Jose get canned from his 3rd Prem team.

wtf.

Is this the Deli who said that he managed to make Baked Beans over lock down and couldn't believe how 'easy it was'.
The physio said 'what add tomato sauce to beans?'
The reply...' no. You just put them in the microwave for two minutes'.

He has learned to warm up a can of Heinz beans.

FFS. (at least he is our idiot)

No, but you can see him having a private meeting with DL and telling him how he feels he's been treated. And possibly requested options away, at least for the time being.

We only ever know a smidge of what happens behind doors. Amazon show gave us a kind of look behind, and frankly I just dont have much respect for how Jose manages people. I dont think he shows much respect for the players at all.

I'm still in possession of a bit of hope, but this man-management style is something Im vehemently opposed to, and have had it out in person with a number of idiots who Ive seen coaching this same way. If this continues, its gonna get muy asquerso, and might see Jose get canned from his 3rd Prem team.

wtf.

I hated the way he laughed at Sonny when Dier injured him. He just laughed and said you can put that on your Instagram. Sonny was clearly furious at Dier and Jose but he walked of laughing.
He seems how he always has done to me. It's all about him.

I hated the way he laughed at Sonny when Dier injured him. He just laughed and said you can put that on your Instagram. Sonny was clearly furious at Dier and Jose but he walked of laughing.

He plays a very dangerous game with the physical & mental well being of his players. Not a fan.

Sonny looks to be a bit of a princess though. Look at how he reacted when Hugo had a pop.
I imagine there are rugby and even cricket players that would have laughed that one off. He left on the golf trolly!

He plays a very dangerous game with the physical & mental well being of his players. Not a fan.

Neither am i. Watching all or nothing it seemed as he loved his players going in full pelt and arguing on the training ground. That for me doesn't bring a team together. Want him gone for the good of the club

Sonny looks to be a bit of a princess though. Look at how he reacted when Hugo had a pop.
I imagine there are rugby and even cricket players that would have laughed that one off. He left on the golf trolly!

He acted like most people would when confronted. He attack back and Jose just laughed at it. On with the training ground incident you could see how high Dier went in on him . It was a leg breaker and Jose took the piss.

Trust me, a princess he is not. He was pissed and any player would have felt the same in that situation. He had only just returned from injury and he was fearing a broken leg! You could see Dier had tackled him high on the shin!

I agree with this. Mourinho is great for the cameras but he gets a lot of his psychological games VERY wrong. In trying to defuse the situation he decided belittling Sonny was the right approach. To think it all stemmed from an odd decision to fire the players up and then put them in a competitive situation against each other. It's a miracle more players didnt come out of that with injuries.

Trust me, a princess he is not. He was pissed and any player would have felt the same in that situation. He had only just returned from injury and he was fearing a broken leg! You could see Dier had tackled him high on the shin!
He bloody well is.
Every decision that goes against him he has a tantrum.
He makes Balotelli look sane.

I agree with this. Mourinho is great for the cameras but he gets a lot of his psychological games VERY wrong. In trying to defuse the situation he decided belittling Sonny was the right approach. To think it all stemmed from an odd decision to fire the players up and then put them in a competitive situation against each other. It's a miracle more players didnt come out of that with injuries.
And what's wrong with that?
Sibbling rivalrys happen. They get forgiven just as quick.

I'm angry with Jose over it. I was convinced it was another soft tissue thing and an easy explanation. Then I saw Jose's comments and just thought "double standards".

Jose's explanation was also poor as well. He basically said that he thought Everton would start with Allan and Gomes deep and therefore put Dele there to get in amongst them. He then noticed that Everton only had Allan deep and Gomes was up with Doucoure. So he took him off.

The answer was simple. Just put Dele and Winks either side of Hojberg and match them up player for player. That would have meant that James couldn't come inside so much. Then give Kane one of only a few rollockings he's probably ever had in his Spurs career and tell him to stop sulking like a baby and start putting the effort in. If there was one sub to make it was Bergwijn for Moura and then get Doherty to be more selective in his forays forward.

So I felt sorry for Dele because his manager got it so wrong and he looked to me like he was starting to settle. The rest of the match made Jose look a right mug with Sissoko barely finding a Spurs player and Moura playing like an U10 again. We were simply shocking down our right all second half whilst a guy like Gedson sat in the stands.
I agree, Muttley. If things weren't panning out I don't know why Jose couldn't have changed things using the same personnel. Honestly, even with his explanation I'm still baffled by the decision.

Not saying I agree with Jose tactics...but I still think Dele is whiny little overrated, prima fucking dona.

I agree, Muttley. If things weren't panning out I don't know why Jose couldn't have changed things using the same personnel. Honestly, even with his explanation I'm still baffled by the decision.

I thought Dele didn't have a good first half but compared to Hojbjerg and Winks he was quality. So I listen to Jose's saying it was tactical and that didn't sit right. I then think back to what happened in previous clubs and what he did to Tanguy and Troy and thought surely he could not have fallen out already but I would not put it past him. When you look at the so called tactical change he made that didn't make sense. If he wanted to change it he could as people say just moved Dele back and gone the same as Everton. Or I would have pushed forward. Take Hojbjerg and Lucas of because he was pointless. Drop Dele with Winks and put Berg and Lamela on and really have a go. Instead of basically blaming Dele and seemingly upsetting the dressing room.