All VAR Discussions Here Please | Page 6 | Vital Football

All VAR Discussions Here Please

The delight of yesterday’s decision a side, I still hate VAR

How was that a clear and obvious error?

When you have to zoom in and stop the imagine it isn’t clear and obvious.

The new handball rule is for intentional or unintentional handling resulting in a goal. There is no mention of clear and obvious in the description of the rule I saw.

The delight of yesterday’s decision a side, I still hate VAR

How was that a clear and obvious error?

When you have to zoom in and stop the imagine it isn’t clear and obvious.

All it takes is a simply touch of anyone's arm and boom, not allowed. Intention has no significance.

The new handball rule is for intentional or unintentional handling resulting in a goal. There is no mention of clear and obvious in the description of the rule I saw.

Yep, changed for VAR

VAR was brought in for clear and obvious errors, that was the original KSP

As a purist, I don't think any goal should be allowed if the assist came from a handball, deliberate or accidental. With that one, it changed the direction of the ball and they wouldn't have scored without it. That makes VAR total value add in that situation.

So dermort on Ref watch.

INCIDENT: Harry Kane goes down under a challenge from Sokratis in the final minute in the Arsenal penalty area, but the referee and VAR both decide against giving a spot-kick.

VERDICT: Right call.

DERMOT SAYS: "For me, definitely not a penalty. If you look, he steps across him, takes his ground, sees Sokratis and goes into him. I thought Martin Atkinson not only refereed a fantastic game in a good manner, but he got this absolutely right.
"There's contact there, we don't not wanting too many yellows when contact's made but I think it's not a penalty, that's the key issue."

INCIDENT: Youri Tielemans appears to stamp on Callum Wilson, but after a VAR review he is given a yellow card

VERDICT: Correctly handled based on what the referee saw.

DERMOT SAYS: "It doesn't hit the threshold, the bar is set very high. What shows it's a red card for me, some people I've spoken to say it isn't, the first clip you see, the same angle the referee sees, it doesn't look a red card. During play it didn't look a red.
"I think the threshold has got to be that everyone's going to go, 'yeah we're in that camp'."

INCIDENT: The ball appears to hit Isaac Hayden's hand moments before Fabian Schar scores to equalise for Newcastle, which goes unnoticed by the referee or VAR

VERDICT: Wrong call.

DERMOT SAYS: "It didn't get picked up, whether it's because they were trying to keep the game flowing, do it as quickly as possible, I don't know".

Dermots excuse for the newcastle goal is laughable.

DERMOT SAYS: "For me, definitely not a penalty. If you look, he steps across him, takes his ground, sees Sokratis and goes into him. I thought Martin Atkinson not only refereed a fantastic game in a good manner, but he got this absolutely right.
"There's contact there, we don't not wanting too many yellows when contact's made but I think it's not a penalty, that's the key issue."

Xhaka commited 7 , yes 7 fouls including the penalty before Atkinson booked him.

Atkinson's performance was pathetic as I mentioned in the match thread the crowd were reffing that game, Scum player falls over, crowd howl, he gives free kick.

Atkinson's refereeing of Xhaka was pathetic. No place to hide. The Sky commentary team were even making jokes about it.

As for Kane's penalty, football is in a dark place. Why can't Dermot grow a pair and call Kane a diver, if that's what he means. Anywhere else on the pitch a player slowing down, stepping across and getting himself between defender and ball is called "skill". It happens all the time, The only way that can be a penalty is if Kane could have stayed on his feet based on Sokratis's contact but chose to go to ground. The way I saw it, it was just very poor defending and Sokratis deserved to concede a penalty. It wasn't minimal contact, it was a decent buffering from the defender.

What annoys me is that all those commentators and pundits have played the game and know this stuff. They're all shit scared to speak up about the institution. The rules of the game at this stage are totally irrelevant. Gallagher's comment "we don't want too many yellows when contact is made" is just admitting they're ignoring the rules. Hence back to why Xhaka gets away with being on the pitch at the end of the game.

As I say, dark place.

Atkinson's refereeing of Xhaka was pathetic. No place to hide. The Sky commentary team were even making jokes about it.

As for Kane's penalty, football is in a dark place. Why can't Dermot grow a pair and call Kane a diver, if that's what he means. Anywhere else on the pitch a player slowing down, stepping across and getting himself between defender and ball is called "skill". It happens all the time, The only way that can be a penalty is if Kane could have stayed on his feet based on Sokratis's contact but chose to go to ground. The way I saw it, it was just very poor defending and Sokratis deserved to concede a penalty. It wasn't minimal contact, it was a decent buffering from the defender.

What annoys me is that all those commentators and pundits have played the game and know this stuff. They're all shit scared to speak up about the institution. The rules of the game at this stage are totally irrelevant. Gallagher's comment "we don't want too many yellows when contact is made" is just admitting they're ignoring the rules. Hence back to why Xhaka gets away with being on the pitch at the end of the game.

As I say, dark place.
Couldnt agree more Muttley . Hazard made a career of doing exactly what Harry did on Sunday . So has Sterling , Salah Suarez etc ,but because , and I pretty sure of this , because it’s us , we are not being given anything . No ref in the world could have not seen Xhaka,s challenge on Son . That deserved a yellow itself .
But all over the pitch , things were going on that we were punished for ,but they weren’t .
What about Rose,s booking . He didn’t touch Lacazette, both feet were firmly on the ground , no contact with a player who was steaming in and ridiculously did a Tom Daley . If VAR can be used to give a player a card why can’t it be used not to give a player a card .
Nothing was done about Socrates dive in our area either . He even screamed as he went down!
Back to Harry , he admitted afterwards he was looking for it ,”kind of”, but it seems thats twice he has been ‘taken out’ now in the box , Newcastle’s one last week and Sunday , but nothing has been given . Both were fouls in every sense of the word , ie not legal challenges , but strangely not given .
This term ‘ clear and obvious ‘ really needs defining as it is not clear and obvious to many what it entails .
If a ref , as against Newcastle with deadly Dean , sees the challenge on Harry , with his view open and unobstructed, and still sees it as being a fair challenge when every man and his dog sees it as being a foul, then what is VAR there for .
I know the new rules have worked in our favour against city and I’m not bleating about it now , I’ve said on here that there is no way that was handball by Laporte , ridiculous rule, , but I’m am looking to see VAR used consistently and fairly .

In this case then , it proves my point , that VAR is being used in the same game for two entirely different reasons .
VAR is a video assistant referee as far as I know . Just as a linesman is now an assistant referee.
It’s there when a ref has got a decision wrong or was unable to see, clearly or just fudges the issue by doing nothing . Same with a linesman/lineslady/ linesperson / assistant referee ( FFS)!!!!!!
VAR can either change a decision , make a decision or it can’t .
Don’t you just love it !
Or can someone enlighten me further and put me out of my misery with absolute facts that I can see , read and digest at my leisure cos its doing my head in

Saying he refereed the game well is the biggest joke. The pen could go either way imo, Kane was looking for it and did go down a little easy but it was still two hands in the back and shielding the ball doesn't stop a bad challenge being a foul.

But I've spoken to two arsenal fans about the game and they both agree they got every 50/50 in the game... And as others mentioned xhaka should have probably had 3 yellows even without the totting up. Shocking player who the ref allowed to be shocking.

Looking for fouls has always been part of the game though. It's a skill. Just reverse the players for a minute and that is Sokratis shielding the ball and Kane buffering into the back of him with his hands on his back. You just know that it would be a no brainer foul to the Arsenal defender and no words like "went down easy" used.

I'd actually love to see a football wide petition against the ruination and mis-use of the rules of football including VAR. Let the fans protest against how the governing bodies are ruining the game. All VAR is doing is allowing them to change the rules without actually changing them.

What was that all about when Alli was rugby tackled in the box ? Did no official see that ?
It was definitely seen because it was replayed on the tv . It was just ignored , because of what greavesie said above.
It WOULD HAVE been a penalty in the last World Cup , but that’s all been forgotten now . The rules have changed again . Players are allowed to wrestle each other now , in fact anything goes these days , refs have even given up on that ridiculous warning at corners that happens at EVERY corner throughout the match when the pushing and shoving is going on . The ruling during the World Cup is old hat , caused too much paperwork and gave the advantage to the goodies and sent the minorities home early which is against the spirit of the human rights brigade .
Rules are there to be altered now to however it suits the bloke in the middle and the bloke behind the tv monitor on the other side of the country. Ranks are closed and the money paying public , be that at the stadium or on tv are treated like they just don’t matter .
Muttley is right , it’s ruining the game . None of us know now whether a goal is a goal , a foul is a foul , a card is a card , offside is offside or if the officials even know what is going on until it’s explained to them three minutes after it actually happened . Our last two games against city are proof of that

You not a fan ?

In the bigger picture, I'm all for it. It just really saddens me that a great piece of technology is being used by humans in a manipulative way rather than to support the rules of the game.

It's also being used to change the rules, without formally changing them. An example of that is delineating what happens in the 18 yard box is clearly treated differently from what happens on the rest of the pitch.

Subtly, it's becoming clear that the ex-players are all scared of speaking up and spend all their time on the fence in commentary and punditry. They are clearly scared of speaking up against the institution and concerned it's a form of biting the hand that feeds them.

The saddest thing of all is that VAR could really bring us closer to the pure form of the game that we all love. It's currently taking us all in the other direction, because of an idiotic minority. It's not your usual normalisation period we see with digital transformation.