All VAR Discussions Here Please | Page 20 | Vital Football

All VAR Discussions Here Please

Maguire quoted saying he put his foot up to stop him falling on him . Well you would wouldn’t you . Support his body weight by placing your studs on his gonads . He had to do it quick , though , otherwise it might have been nasty .
he also said , “ it was nice that the ref saw a bit of common sense “.
You couldn’t make it up , could you

Add to all that, that Martial should have been sent off for violent conduct; it was a deliberate vicious right elbow he did, how that was missed or misinterpreted is beyond me.

Manures two goals scored by two players who shouldn't have been on the pitch.

Maguire leads a charmed life in my opinion. He was absolutely skinned a number of times in that game and some of his positional sense was simply woeful. He escapes a sending off and then gets the goal. I cringe on the terraces at England matches when the fans start singing his song.

I thought Fred pushed the Chelsea attacker first for the disallowed goal....
You’re forgetting that the defending team are exempt from the laws . It’s only the team that are actually trying to be entertaining and trying to score goals that have to abide . Defenders can push , pull ,handle the ball, even dive and take attackers out as per Harry Kane against Burnley , they are not accountable for their actions . It’s why Son was sent off and Maguire wasn’t

Add to all that, that Martial should have been sent off for violent conduct; it was a deliberate vicious right elbow he did, how that was missed or misinterpreted is beyond me.

Manures two goals scored by two players who shouldn't have been on the pitch.

I noticed that as well , wasn't even commented on.

Maguire leads a charmed life in my opinion. He was absolutely skinned a number of times in that game and some of his positional sense was simply woeful. He escapes a sending off and then gets the goal. I cringe on the terraces at England matches when the fans start singing his song.
Has anyone got a reason why Maguire was not punished for inciting the crowd after scoring his goal . His first reaction was to go to the manure supporters , which in itself is illegal but always ignored , (it is an offence to leave the playing area without the permission of the referee or if it’s deemed to be as a consequence of the play )
But then he continues his incitement by going back into the crowd as other players leave and actually “high- fives” a supporter .
Why it all gets ignored really winds me up .

I heard ex ref Mark Halsey on H and J at lunch time today. I was amazed to hear him say that VAR should not have overturned the ref's decision when Bergwijn was fouled by Engels as the ref's decision not to award a penalty was not a "clear and obvious mistake" because no one in the ground made a fuss so the decision was obviously not a bad one. He was wholly prepared to ignore that the video replay showed that Engels got nowhere near the ball. That is an ex ref who is showing that our referees are a "clique" who resent any questioning of their infallibility.

I heard ex ref Mark Halsey on H and J at lunch time today. I was amazed to hear him say that VAR should not have overturned the ref's decision when Bergwijn was fouled by Engels as the ref's decision not to award a penalty was not a "clear and obvious mistake" because no one in the ground made a fuss so the decision was obviously not a bad one. He was wholly prepared to ignore that the video replay showed that Engels got nowhere near the ball. That is an ex ref who is showing that our referees are a "clique" who resent any questioning of their infallibility.

You aren't wrong.

Try making the VAR from another country and it would be a head start to the closed shop old boys club operating over here.

That’s ok , I can live with that, IF the ref HAD made a decision . I’m fine with refs making a mistake , I’m fine with mistakes by anybody. But only if they know the laws and keep to them , and actually implement them . We can’t have one or the other . Refs are no longer making decisions . Refs and linesmen know if someone is offside or not . Or it’s handball or not , or a foul or not. If they don’t they shouldn’t be doing the job .
It’s making them lazy and it will only get worse.
Halseys point he is trying to get across would do away with VAR . You can’t have it for some decisions and not others and you can’t have it for every decision a ref has to make . Makes it a non point of view really .
as you say , the refs union , making fools of themselves.

ARSENE WENGER will change the offside law for next season to end VAR chaos.
A player will be deemed ONSIDE if any part of the body which can legitimately score a goal is level or behind the last defender — even if other parts are in front

Olivier Giroud's disallowed goal for Chelsea against Man Utd would have stood under the new lawsCredit: Sky Sports

A player will be deemed onside if any part of the body which can legitimately score a goal is level or behind the last defender — even if other parts are in frontCredit: BBC

Arsene Wenger will change the offside law for next season and end the VAR farceCredit: Getty Images

And it will mean one of the most significant changes of the past two decades, re-balancing the game in favour of the attacker.
Wenger plans to drive through the change this month in his role as Fifa’s head of global development where he is effectively the boss of the International FA Board, football’s lawmakers.
He said: “You will be not offside if any part of the body that can score a goal is in line with the last defender, even if other parts of the attacker’s body are in front.
“That will sort it out and you will no longer have decisions about millimetres and a fraction of the attacker being in front of the defensive line.”

I don't know if you heard the segment where their ex-ref was commentating on this whole VAR debacle and he said that FIFA/UEFA are actually threatening to take away the PL/FA's licence to use it because of the controversy and the PGMOL's insistence that they 'differ' from the standard of use elsewhere?

I hadn't heard this before and I've asked some people who should know this stuff if it's true and they all said they hadn't heard that from anyone?

Was he making it up I wonder, or are they trying to avoid even bigger scandal about how badly they're using it?

I can already see the line being put back on the screen to see if the back of the head , armpit , heel , etc could possibly be onside when the rest of the body is clearly offside . It will go from being offside by a millimetre to being onside by a millimetre .
It is not going to change anything in the delay and chaos they are putting on the game . Just a change in what is being measured . They have to realise this is a good idea that can’t be made to work without more controversy and argument

I said from day one when this was first mooted that it was a bad idea that couldn’t be made to work and I have never changed my mind .
How can you have a game where refs don’t make decisions and are surrounded by players demanding a penalty or denying a foul in the box and the ref just stands there saying to calm down and someone will check it . Lunacy

So under Wenger ‘s plan , if the back most part of my heel is ten millimetres behind the front most part of the defenders toe , I am onside . My body could be one metre , or more , in front of the defender . Yeah , that’s going to stop the arguments ,

So under Wenger ‘s plan , if the back most part of my heel is ten millimetres behind the front most part of the defenders toe , I am onside . My body could be one metre , or more , in front of the defender . Yeah , that’s going to stop the arguments ,

Surely he's just repeating what Souness said out loud on his recent punditry.

Here's the problem though. If you implement that rule then you may have to start checking multiple defenders and multiple attackers when you look across the line. To prove that one part of a forwards body is onside could get complex.

Just go back to clear daylight between 2 players FFS, the offside law became a nonsense the day some officious prick decided that splitting the body up into individual pieces was a good thing.

There is no advantage to an attacker whatsoever if his toe is 1mm further forward than a defender, none, and to pretend otherwise is ridiculous and should be treated as the mockery it clearly is.

A forward player playing on the shoulder of a defender can not possibly in the real world judge if his loose shirt has strayed offside , or if his heel is keeping him onside, so how about just going back to reality with the whole body needing to be further forward to be judged offside.