All VAR Discussions Here Please | Vital Football

All VAR Discussions Here Please

LOL - too funny.

Said this for a while. The league that will take new VAR sheriff the hardest is the Italian one. Will be a massive shift for them to change their pervasive use of the dark arts.

.......and when it doesn’t .
VAR and these new laws starting next season are going to combine to give a lot of penalties ( think Sissoko in the final and the Scottish defender against England today in the women’s World Cup )
Neither incident could ever be considered handball in the context of the laws of the game for the the last hundred and forty years yet next season and in this women’s World Cup it will be . And VAR Is going to be there to enforce it
There is going to be a new art perfected on the training ground, of kicking the ball against a defenders hand/arm, in the pre season training grounds .
In my opinion , which everyone knows counts for nothing, this one new law is going to cause a lot of problems .
I wonder who the first player will be , to be cautioned for ungentlemanly conduct for deliberately kicking the ball against an opponents hand .
VAR is going to be used by clever coaches/ players to gain an advantage because of this new handball law .
Whilst we are on the subject , well , I am anyway,...... any free kick just outside the area is going to take refereeing to a whole new level.
Especially if one defender either joins or leaves the wall just before the kick is taken .

It’s going to be interesting

Also Walt, they seem to be looking at every goal scored to try to find something wrong.
Ruling a goal out for offside because a players boot is a millimetre offside is going against the spirit of the game and will kill it.

Some serious rethinking is needed because the PL could end up a farce next season.

totally agree. yet it was totally awesome when Sterling's 'goal' was rule offside against us :LOL:

Dubious offside decisions have ALWAYS been given to the advantage of the attacking player to encourage attack minded football. ...... until now . Any excuse , it seems , will now be used to disallow goals, ....... and encourage the dark arts so favoured by the money orientated clubs and coaches
I’m pretty fearful of some of these new laws for next season .
Does anybody have any idea at what point in time a goalkeeper cannot touch the woodwork prior to a penalty being taken and what happens if he does?

Also Walt, they seem to be looking at every goal scored to try to find something wrong.
Ruling a goal out for offside because a players boot is a millimetre offside is going against the spirit of the game and will kill it.

Some serious rethinking is needed because the PL could end up a farce next season.
Couldn’t agree more Chiv .
I’m sure I read that even celebrating a goal next season will not be allowed

VAR was least of England's problems though.

Just implementing the right decisions on yellow cards, especially first half ones, would have made a big difference. Dumfries should have been on a yellow between 10 and 15 mins in the game. Ref bottled it and by the time he assaulted Chilwell, he would have walked. Even if he had realised he was on a yellow and not assaulted Chilwell, that hands the tactical advantage to England who have 75 mins of a game to run at him knowing he can't dive in. That changes the entire tone of that side of the pitch of the rest of the game. Ultimately, it was Dumfries that won the corner that they scored from.

Then you move to the Switzerland game and Xhaka finally got a yellow card deep into extra time. The only Swiss player to pick up a yellow in the entire game even though they repetitively fouled us and left their foot in many times. Xhaka probably had 4 or 5 yellow card calls. Additionally, refs are now forgetting that they are supposed to give the first offence, not the most visible one. This happened multiple times when an England player was fouled (e.g. Kane) and then fouled their player only for them to get the free-kick. Thinking about the Callum Wilson disallowed goal. The first offence was on him, but his pulling of the player to the ground was worse and cost us.

My biggest bug bear with the game right now is with or without technology, the refs are just ignoring the rules of the game. Give the yellows and eventually change the behaviour of the players. Give the first offence and make life easy.

Finally, definitely don't accept any backchat from players. I watched VVD live for 2 games. There wasn't a single incident that he was involved in that he didn't immediately get in the referees ear. Didn't matter if he'd blatantly conceded a corner or goal kick or whether he was fouled or being fouled. His immediate reaction was to try and bully the ref. Every Dutch player to a man had that schooled into them and it's clear that that dark art of the game is getting worse. Poch has to figure out whether to ride it out and get his teams to play with sporting pride or join in with Pep, Klopp etc and expect it from his players. I seriously hope FIFA and UEFA with all FA's address it head on.

My opinion, but football is very broken right now regardless who wins or loses.

VAR was least of England's problems though.

Just implementing the right decisions on yellow cards, especially first half ones, would have made a big difference. Dumfries should have been on a yellow between 10 and 15 mins in the game. Ref bottled it and by the time he assaulted Chilwell, he would have walked. Even if he had realised he was on a yellow and not assaulted Chilwell, that hands the tactical advantage to England who have 75 mins of a game to run at him knowing he can't dive in. That changes the entire tone of that side of the pitch of the rest of the game. Ultimately, it was Dumfries that won the corner that they scored from.

Then you move to the Switzerland game and Xhaka finally got a yellow card deep into extra time. The only Swiss player to pick up a yellow in the entire game even though they repetitively fouled us and left their foot in many times. Xhaka probably had 4 or 5 yellow card calls. Additionally, refs are now forgetting that they are supposed to give the first offence, not the most visible one. This happened multiple times when an England player was fouled (e.g. Kane) and then fouled their player only for them to get the free-kick. Thinking about the Callum Wilson disallowed goal. The first offence was on him, but his pulling of the player to the ground was worse and cost us.

My biggest bug bear with the game right now is with or without technology, the refs are just ignoring the rules of the game. Give the yellows and eventually change the behaviour of the players. Give the first offence and make life easy.

Finally, definitely don't accept any backchat from players. I watched VVD live for 2 games. There wasn't a single incident that he was involved in that he didn't immediately get in the referees ear. Didn't matter if he'd blatantly conceded a corner or goal kick or whether he was fouled or being fouled. His immediate reaction was to try and bully the ref. Every Dutch player to a man had that schooled into them and it's clear that that dark art of the game is getting worse. Poch has to figure out whether to ride it out and get his teams to play with sporting pride or join in with Pep, Klopp etc and expect it from his players. I seriously hope FIFA and UEFA with all FA's address it head on.

My opinion, but football is very broken right now regardless who wins or loses.
It’s blatantly obvious Mutters that your beef is , and has been for months , the inability of refs to understand and and impliment the letter of the law .
I totally agree with you and it drives me nuts . It is so dangerous to the proper outcome of games and is rewarding teams that out decency and sportsmanship.
How Xhaka stayed on the field so many times is a complete mystery , I’ve never seen such bad tackling in the premier league go unpunished .
Refs are letting the skilful , entertaining players down and punishing teams that play the right way .
The introduction of VAR is only going to make the situation worse as it will give them a sofa to hide behind when they need to stand up to be counted.
It’s worrying and I can’t see it being addressed with the current set up and management

I think there are going to be teething problems and they will get the right balance eventually. If it affects the game detrimentally the powers won't stand for it. The concept is good , ie to get decisions right and it has proved itself to an extent in that criteria. Dirty and unsportsmanlike behaviour is an area I would like addressed aswell but let's get the basics right first.

It’s blatantly obvious Mutters that your beef is , and has been for months , the inability of refs to understand and and impliment the letter of the law .
I totally agree with you and it drives me nuts . It is so dangerous to the proper outcome of games and is rewarding teams that out decency and sportsmanship.
How Xhaka stayed on the field so many times is a complete mystery , I’ve never seen such bad tackling in the premier league go unpunished .
Refs are letting the skilful , entertaining players down and punishing teams that play the right way .
The introduction of VAR is only going to make the situation worse as it will give them a sofa to hide behind when they need to stand up to be counted.
It’s worrying and I can’t see it being addressed with the current set up and management

You nailed it - "It is so dangerous to the proper outcome of games"

Wow . Anyone seen the VAR decision on Scotland’s goalkeeper penalty save against Argentina.
If that is going to be implemented rigorously then the poor buggers have no chance of saving a spot kick
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/48699753

And not only that Walt , what I said a few days ago about the inconsistencies of VAR decisions because they are subjective , not matter of fact has been proved in just 2 games.

The law on penalties says the goalkeeper must have one foot on the line when the ball is struck, for that reason the penalty against Scotland was right to be retaken.

But in the England v France U21 game, Henderson clearly moved off his line before the ball was struck and saved the penalty, but VAR let the save stand.

I really don't see the point of VAR as it is currently being implemented, many decisions are still going to be contentious so how is that an improvement and is it really worth all the game slowing, joy killing hassle ?

The game is now going to be decided by micro seconds and tenths of inches .
The time between the spot kick being struck and the goalkeeper moving is a fraction of a second .
The law has always been that goalkeepers could not move from the goal line before the kick was taken , which was fair enough when the referee did his job . Let’s be honest , it wasn’t hard to spot was it ?
But now it is being taken to stupid lengths and just another pointless piece of farce .
It’s not going to be the game I grew up with and loved unless I go back to watching Sunday mornings on ‘Ackney Marshes