All Time Villa Left Backs | Vital Football

All Time Villa Left Backs

The Fear

A Wise Man (once sat next to him)
All time left backs... this ok?

I am not convinced Dorigo should be in this, thoughts? We missed any REALLY deserving?

Charlie Aitken LB
John Robson LB
Gary Williams LB
Colin Gibson LB
Tony Dorigo LB
Alan Wright LB
Steve Staunton LB
Wilfred Bouma LB
Bobby McDonald LB

Got to be Wright or Staunton for my time at Villa. This has been a real weak spot for us since Bouma was injured. Shorey, Warnock, Bennett, Luna, Richardson, Amavi, Hutton, Taylor and Targett is not a great list.

Amavi could have been good if not for injury. Ironically we released Bouma once he was finally fit again after 2 years then ended up winning titles with PSV and getting back in the Dutch national side whilst we were struggling in his position.

When you look at that list we have had some great left backs in the past yet we really struggle these days.

Yep. Bouma was the last real quality one we had. I'd say its an area we need to strengthen in again when things are a bit more normal again.

All-time LB is Charlie he's a living Villa Legend,

Talent-wise Stevie Staunton is the best but Charlie is our Paulo Maldini

Bouma was always just a solid player in my eyes, worked very hard but appeared to lack a lot of quality going forward (which always surprised me as he played in more advanced positions such as on the wing and even up front earlier on in his career).

Has to be Stan for me. Just oozed class. Great distribution, shooting ability and composure on the ball.

Charlie Aitken. I don’t think many others come close. It’s an age thing yes but he lasted so long that has to say something.

One problem with these lists is that we are completely missing out all the great players we had from the early days of the club. I know its difficult when no one on here would have seen them play, but we were the best team in the country for a decade or more.
When I see the likes of Bouma and Nelson being put ahead of those guys it does seem ridiculous.

One problem with these lists is that we are completely missing out all the great players we had from the early days of the club. I know its difficult when no one on here would have seen them play, but we were the best team in the country for a decade or more.
When I see the likes of Bouma and Nelson being put ahead of those guys it does seem ridiculous.

I'm with you Pongo, Charlie, Dixon, McParland, Billy walker etc are legends we've all heard of even if some/most haven't seen them play I've only ever seen Charlie play the rest are just famous Villans from the past.
It's very difficult as we will all go for players we have seen

LB - Jimmy Crabtree - 176 games, 3 league titles and an FA Cup winners medal. Noted as one of Englands best defenders of the time.
Sounds better than most on this list

Howard Spencer - local lad born in Edgbaston, 258 games, won 3 league titles and 3 FA Cups. Apparently called the prince of Full Backs due to his sportsmanship!
Also joined the board of directors after he finished playing and became vice-president of the club

I think a good few of them have actually nodded to the older great players to be fair garygaryshaw.

two excellent suggestions added

Last edited:
Charlie Aitken LB
John Robson LB
Gary Williams LB
Colin Gibson LB
Alan Wright LB
Steve Staunton LB
Wilfred Bouma LB
Bobby McDonald LB
Howard Spencer LB
Jimmy Crabtree LB