All time top 11 - goalkeepers & defence | Vital Football

All time top 11 - goalkeepers & defence

The Fear

A Wise Man (once sat next to him)
Was at a history and heritage meeting at Villa last night. The one idea is to come up with an all time top 11 players in order to have a wall of the squad pictures.

It will most likely be 442 for simplicity. So keeper. 2 central, 2 fullbacks, 2 central mids, 2 wingers. 2 strikers.

Sounds like a great idea.

So lets get talking!!!!

Top goalkeepers, from any era, for Villa in your opinions?

Was at a history and heritage meeting at Villa last night. The one idea is to come up with an all time top 11 players in order to have a wall of the squad pictures.

It will most likely be 442 for simplicity. So keeper. 2 central, 2 fullbacks, 2 central mids, 2 wingers. 2 strikers.

So lets get talking!!!!

your top central defenders, from any era, for Villa in your opinions?

So lets get talking!!!!

Your top fullbacks, from any era, for Villa in your opinions?

Probably Nigel Spink for me, for that night, for the 'oh no' feeling when he came on as sub and his heroics.

And Bosnich was also a top top keeper for us.

As was Rimmer.

Last edited:
Hard one, really is!

Ken McNaught was a rock.

Paul McGrath a magician.

Mellberg and Laursen in the more modern era were great and felt like 'one of us' as well.

I think I'd go for King Ken and God.

No, I want some discussion, it will be fun to hear people talking about memories of great players and saying why they love certain ones over others.

Bosnich, arguably, was the best we've had really ability wise wasn't he? Anyone disagree? I only really know from Rimmer onward, not old enough to remember the previous generations.

Bosnich, arguably, was the best we've had really ability wise wasn't he? Anyone disagree? I only really know from Rimmer onward, not old enough to remember the previous generations.

Rimmer for me not just for nostalgia , he was a fantastic goalkeeper. Hard to split the 3 really , but previous to Rimmer we had John Burridge and Jimmy Cumbes who with the best will in the world were not the best.

Alan Wright?

Steve Staunton?

Always liked Mark Delaney, totally full blooded

Bouma?

Err.. got to get my thinking cap on, my brain isn't firing at all today! lol

This one is hard. Evans and McNaught were a fantastic partnership , but individually , who knows.

1/God
2/ Ian Ross
3/Martin Laursen
4/ Olaf Mellberg
5/Ken McNaught/Allan Evans
6/ Chris Nicholl
7/Tyrone Mings