All time top 11 - goalkeepers & defence | Page 8 | Vital Football

All time top 11 - goalkeepers & defence

Agree. As I started watching in the late 1940s you will see quite a few names from the 50s in my selections.
Respect Clambo,you must have more White hair than me. I first suffered in the fifties and my early heroes were Nigel Sims,Jimmy Dugdale, Gerry Hitchens and the mighty Peter Macparland. What would that lot be worth now? Despite the lows with the club run by incompetents for so long we have such memories. 1957,then relegation,then the return. From losing to Bury to beating Bayern,from losing to Bradford to beating Barcelona. Wins at Wembley, losses at Wembley but what joy last May to return home with a Villan as boss and as Captain. At our age,we know football brings many surprises so we have learned to play the long game when it comes to the fortunes of our beloved club. Our new owners offer genuine hope for the future. Come on you lions.

Its more than coincidental JP if you talk to any fans of that era [1950s] those same four players are repeatedly mentioned as the stand out performers. Christ they were more than good.

No no no . You can't have Burridge above Jimmy Rimmer or Nigel Spink. Burridge was very dodgy imho.
LMAO he was, but he was the very first villa keeper I had seen and sticks I'm my mind.i remember being in the stadium in Rotterdam thinking shite we are going to get stuffed when Jimmy went off but boy was was I wrong :wahey:

James is actually a fair shout (for top five) based on his short time with us, but given that he blotted his copy book with the howler in the FA Cup final, he won't be fondly remembered. This, and the fact that Jimmy Rimmer was much much better....

When you analyze it, we've been blessed with some good custodians at Villa down the years. Rimmer, Spink, Bosnich, Friedel, James, Steer, Schmeichel. However, in between them we've had some bad ones! Day, Sealey (RIP), Kiraly, Guzan, Carson, Enckleman, Sorensen, Golini.

When you analyze it, we've been blessed with some good custodians at Villa down the years. Rimmer, Spink, Bosnich, Friedel, James, Steer, Schmeichel. However, in between them we've had some bad ones! Day, Sealey (RIP), Kiraly, Guzan, Carson, Enckleman, Sorensen, Golini.

Mervyn Day - good grief!

He was in net in my first 'live' Villa game. Wow, blast from the past.

Given shouldn't even be in the conversation. He was ok 1st season but after that was poor bar the odd Decent cup game. The decision to give him a 5 year contract was pure madness.

World class shot stopper. Not the best when it came to commanding his area though - probably what prevented him from a “big” move to ManUre when they were searching for Schmeichels replacement...

Good call. There is a lot more to goal keeping than saving shots.

James is actually a fair shout (for top five) based on his short time with us, but given that he blotted his copy book with the howler in the FA Cup final, he won't be fondly remembered. This, and the fact that Jimmy Rimmer was much much better....

I never thought James was that good. England keeper, player for Liverpool and all that but Bozzie and Brad Freedom were way ahead in my book.

Colin withers don't think he was that good but his name just popped into my head for some unknown reason
My recollection of Colin Withers is that he was a great quick reaction keeper but not so good on anything hit from distance.
We always used to joke that he was short sighted.
He was however one of my favourite keepers.