All Time Strikers | Page 2 | Vital Football

All Time Strikers

I know you shouldn't speak I'll of the dead but I never liked Dalian. Like Carew, he was a wasted talent, who only did it when he could be arsed and was awful more than half of the time.

He should be nowhere near a top 10 for me. I'd have Gabby in over him. Seriously.

But Dalian won something, Gabby didn't, if Gabby had, with the number of appearances as well, I'd agree.

But Dalian won something, Gabby didn't, if Gabby had, with the number of appearances as well, I'd agree.

Both bone idle I'll give em that, Never got the fuss over Atkinson, he's not a name I think of when I think of great Villa strikers but that is an age thing because he'll be someone's hero because that is their era, just like Andy Lochead Chico Hamilton and Andy Gray Brian Little are mine

Gerry Hitchens won England caps Allbeit after he went to Italy and would have won lots more then Ramsey turned up with his anti foreign bias.

Gerry Hitchens won England caps Allbeit after he went to Italy and would have won lots more then Ramsey turned up with his anti foreign bias.

I read a story that before a game against Italy Ramsey bumped into Hitchins and proceeded to tell him he'd forgotten that he "played in these parts". At which point Hitchins called him a tosser and probably ended any hope of a recall.

Way before my time but he was a big favourite of my Granddad and was my dads first Villa hero.

What an utter waste Gabby made of himself. The 3-1 away win at Arsenal match they were showing yesterday typifies it. He won 2 penalties through total speed skill and desire. The second one was class . Picked the pocket of an Arsenal player on the halfway line, on him like a flash he was Then ran on , unplayable on those 2 occasions.

For ending up being a waster he doesn't deserve his place in my humble.

I can't believe Johnny Dixon isn't in the top ten.
Villa player 1944 - 1961.
Inspirational skipper, over 400 appearances and 144 goals.
Won FA Cup and promotion.

Gerry Hichens should be there too.
Villa Player 1957 - 1961.
Over 130 games and 78 goals.
Won FA Cup and promotion.

Peter McParland should be in the winger section not the striker section, although he could play all across the front line, he was mostly a winger.
Villa Player 1952 - 1962.
Over 290 games and 98 goals.
Won FA Cup, scoring both goals, League Cup and promotion.

Will take a look at these, I can remove McParland (as he is in the winger section) and add.

Quite complicated getting a list in some categories, but will do my best!

What an utter waste Gabby made of himself. The 3-1 away win at Arsenal match they were showing yesterday typifies it. He won 2 penalties through total speed skill and desire. The second one was class . Picked the pocket of an Arsenal player on the halfway line, on him like a flash he was Then ran on , unplayable on those 2 occasions.

For ending up being a waster he doesn't deserve his place in my humble.

I was thinking the same watching that too. He was such a dangerous player to have before he decided to retire in his mid-20s.

I dont believe " winning things " is a guide to determining a great player Sometimes a player just turns at a poor time for the club.

Just going on the criteria from the club, winning things is kind of our purpose, albeit we've not done that since 96! o_O:giggle:

So this is where I've got to with this list of ten...

100 or more appearances, or won something (or promotion)

Striker:

Brian Little
Peter Withe
Gary Shaw
Pongo Waring
Billy Walker
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billy_Walker_(English_footballer)
Gerry Hitchens
Johnny Dixon
Andy Gray (league cup winner)
Dwight Yorke (league cup winner)
Dean Saunders (league cup winner)

Not making the list?

Dalian Atkinson (league cup winner)
John Deehan (league cup winner)
George Ramsey
Archie Hunter
Harry Hampton
Juan Pablo Angel (nice guy, but 1 in 4 goals, not all time is he?)
John Carew
Dion Dublin
Alan McInally
Andy Lochhead
Christian Benteke
Gabby Agbonlahor (long serving but 1 in 4.5 goal ratio and a lot of history)
Tony Hateley
Garry Thompson
Keith Leonard

Fairly happy that the older legends are back in, this is an all time list and maybe some of the other groups will go with the modern popular, which isn't really what this is all about.

For me Andy Gray, only by a whisker.
I recall Tony Butler's Radio Show on BRMB, listening to it on way home after a game and this geezer phoned in and the conversation went something like this ...
Butler 'Next on the line we have Syd" Syd "Went down to watch the Villa today Tone, was a great game. Andy Gray was magnificent, he hit this ball so hard if it had gone in the net it would have been a Goal"

Angel only really had two good seasons here out of 6 and a half. Certainly very likeable and had undoubted ability mind.

Did Gabby waste his talent or is he just a massive scapegoat for the collapse of the club after MON?

At his peak, he used his pace and desire to score goals in a team full to the brim with talent and creativity. Partnered with Carew or Heskey with two very capable wingers and central midfielders with an incredible range of passing. He was never the most talented in the MON era, no one really touted him for England or expected 20 goals a season, but we all loved him for being a fan and scoring goals and showing that passion.

As the talent around him faded away, so did his main attribute of pace. I think we can bookend his days at Villa around the same time that Ashley Young left personally, and judge him for those days when he played in a top team at his peak.

Worth a place in the top ten for me.

Yorke was utter class.
Gave us numerous years great service and left to win leagues, domestic cups and the European cup.
Was he going to do that with us . Nope.
Good luck to him .

This picking and choosing of players we do or don't chastise for leaving often baffles me. 10 years and Barry gets booed, yet Milner gets a love in.

Last edited: