All Time Strikers | Page 3 | Vital Football

All Time Strikers

I always saw Gabby as a very limited player talent wise who relied primarily on exceptional pace. MON was able to get through to him and keep him motivated. In his absolute pomp he scored 13 in the league which isn't that impressive.

I actually think had we invested properly in strikers during that period we would have finished in the top 4.

He doesn't make the top 10 for me.

Totally agree. He would have been nothing without us and forced a move away at the first opportunity. Totally destroyed his reputation.
Yorke gave us 9 years. I sure he had ample opportunity to move during that time, especially in 92 and any point from 94 onwards. He went to a team to win the league and champions league. Cannot blame him for that.

He's without a shadow of doubt the best striker we've had in the premier league.

Yorke was utter class.
Gave us numerous years great service and left to win leagues, domestic cups and the European cup.
Was he going to do that with us . Nope.
Good luck to him .

This picking and choosing of players we do or don't chastise for leaving often baffles me. 10 years are and Barry gets booed, yet Milner gets a love in.

I think a lot of it can be about the way a player leaves. Barry for example had written what came off to me as a very misjudged letter begging to be allowed to go to Liverpool the summer before he left plus we had Rafa and MON arguing over fees all that summer. Leaves a slightly sour taste.

Yorke was undoubtedly the best striker we've had since Withe and Shaw and gave many years good service but there's a whole generation of Villa fans who remember him as the first player to break their hearts when he left. Plus there was his last game vs Everton where he clearly didn't give a shit.

Milner is a strange one as his loan spell a year or 2 before we actually signed can give the impression he was here longer than he actually was. He also played in the first game of the season when it was basically a done deal that he was leaving and gave his all, putting in an excellent performance and scoring. However he only had in my mind 1 really good full season with us when he moved into the middle. Then he buggered of as soon as he could.

Yorke gave us 9 years. I sure he had ample opportunity to move during that time, especially in 92 and any point from 94 onwards. He went to a team to win the league and champions league. Cannot blame him for that.

He's without a shadow of doubt the best striker we've had in the premier league.
I agree talent wise. But number 1, forcing a move and as good as refusing to play on the first game of the season and number 2, kissing another teams badge in front of the Holte End, the club that found him and made him who he was, was absolutely disgusting. I dont consider him a Villa player because if you called him a Villa player hed probably take it as an insult.

Totally agree. He would have been nothing without us and forced a move away at the first opportunity. Totally destroyed his reputation.

Brian Little tried to force him out to the Noses from memory. Fortunately Yorke stuck around to become a great player for us.

Yorke was utter class.
Gave us numerous years great service and left to win leagues, domestic cups and the European cup.
Was he going to do that with us . Nope.
Good luck to him .

This picking and choosing of players we do or don't chastise for leaving often baffles me. 10 years are and Barry gets booed, yet Milner gets a love in.

Nobody is disputing his quality or the fact he moved, it's not the point.

If the criteria is just talent then of course he should be on any Villa list.

Personally I would never put him on any legends list(which I don't think this is anyway, just best positions?) because of how he conducted himself when he moved and even years later.

Nobody is disputing his quality or the fact he moved, it's not the point.

If the criteria is just talent then of course he should be on any Villa list.

Personally I would never put him on any legends list(which I don't think this is anyway, just best positions?) because of how he conducted himself when he moved and even years later.

Still think people pick and choose standards to suit I find.

John Terry was public enemy number one until people saw his class for us.
Many of our 81/82 legends went off to blues and baggies , including the manager.

Still think people pick and choose standards to suit I find.

John Terry was public enemy number one until people saw his class for us.
Many of our 81/82 legends went off to blues and baggies , including the manager.

They probably do, why some players are booed when they come back I'll never know. I even remember James Milner getting booed when he returned to Villa Park with Newcastle after he had been on loan with us for a season. Bizarre.

However, kissing the Utd badge in front of the Villa fans after scoring and claiming Birmingham were the bigger club and had the best fans is a bit of a step too far for me.

Views on lists are always subjective and the criteria will be interpreted differently. Time often makes people a better player as does the age you were when you saw them. With some people it can be about the players attitude or behaviour when they left. For example, Yorke or Barry or Southgate, all of whom made it very plain that they wanted to go and “made a fuss” Delph, forever vilified for his I’m staying video then signing next day. It’s circumstances.

They probably do, why some players are booed when they come back I'll never know. I even remember James Milner getting booed when he returned to Villa Park with Newcastle after he had been on loan with us for a season. Bizarre.

However, kissing the Utd badge in front of the Villa fans after scoring and claiming Birmingham were the bigger club and had the best fans is a bit of a step too far for me.
In his defence, John Gregory had said he would have murdered him given the opportunity!

Actually good shout on Andy Lockhead. Any others agree Especially just remembering about Saunders being such a prick recently with the drink driving thing.

Andy Lochead over Dean Saunders and I'd go with the rest such an important player for us when we were clawing our way out of the 3rd Div

I'm sure it was great if you were there to watch him, but personally I'd struggle to have anyone from 3rd or even 2nd tier football in our greatest 11.

I'm sure it was great if you were there to watch him, but personally I'd struggle to have anyone from 3rd or even 2nd tier football in our greatest 11.

Criteria though, says players who helped with promotions, and obviously they were crucial to get Villa back up. I get what you mean. But it could be argued he did more for AVFC than Deano (not you deanovilla)

Submitted list:

Brian Little
Peter Withe
Gary Shaw
Pongo Waring
Billy Walker
Gerry Hitchens
Johnny Dixon
Andy Gray
Dwight Yorke
Andy Lockhead