All Time Right-Backs | Vital Football

All Time Right-Backs

The Fear

A Wise Man (once sat next to him)
This ok? Any to add, remove?

I know Hutton had mixed years, but no problem for me him being there, his attitude was good and 'that' goal!

John Gidman RB
Kenny Swain RB
Earl Barrett RB
Fernando Nelson RB
Mark Delaney RB
Alan Hutton RB
Stan Lynn RB

Last edited by a moderator:
I would have Mick Wright over Nelson.

He was a steady right full-back who also played for England under - 18s while at the club and made 282 Villa appearances (64-73) while Nelson manged 60 Villa games.

aston-villa-mick-wright-10-10280-p.jpg

Always had a soft spot for Fernando Nelson. Not warranting an all time place but he was a better player than most right backs we've had in the last 15 years of so. The best I've seen in Delaney who was unlucky with injuries throughout. Should have been luke young but MON despite spending 5m on him decided he'd rather have a centre back who couldn't kick a ball play right back.

Not a position that has been blessed with quality in my life time. Delaney is the stand out. Scored an absolute worldie against Watford I seem to recall.

This ok? Any to add, remove?

I know Hutton had mixed years, but no problem for me him being there, his attitude was good and 'that' goal!

John Gidman RB
Kenny Swain RB
Earl Barrett RB
Fernando Nelson RB
Mark Delaney RB
Alan Hutton RB
Stan Lynn RB
Chris Price? He seems to have been overlooked, although I don't think he will trouble John Gidman to be fair.

Chris Price? He seems to have been overlooked, although I don't think he will trouble John Gidman to be fair.

Not a name that rolls off the tongue (so to speak as a Villa all time though really is he? Can go on the list if others think him worthy, did do over 100)

Thanks for the Mick Wright suggestions. Sorted.

John Gidman RB
Kenny Swain RB
Earl Barrett RB
Fernando Nelson RB
Mark Delaney RB
Alan Hutton RB
Stan Lynn RB
Chris Price RB
Mick Wright RB

George Cummings (could play RB, CB and LB)

Last edited:
Cannot see how Hutton is being considered on a shortlist of all time great?! He is at best, a mediocre player for us with one stand out season which happened in the second tier.

For comparison @The Fear, you were questioning Bosnich competing with Spunk and Rimmer on the GK thread. That's a formality if Hutton is on this shortlist!

Cannot see how Hutton is being considered on a shortlist of all time great?! He is at best, a mediocre player for us with one stand out season which happened in the second tier.

For comparison @The Fear, you were questioning Bosnich competing with Spunk and Rimmer on the GK thread. That's a formality if Hutton is on this shortlist!

Not just my list though Tierney, had threads open for months. A few put arguments for him. I concur with you, but have said I have no real problem him being on the list, as I doubt he will make it much further than that.

If it was down to me, the lists would probably have no one at all from the last 20 years!

Submitted list:

John Gidman RB
Kenny Swain RB
Earl Barrett RB
Fernando Nelson RB
Mark Delaney RB
Alan Hutton RB
Stan Lynn RB
Chris Price RB
Mick Wright RB

George Cummings (could play RB, CB and LB)