All Time Midfielder List | Vital Football

All Time Midfielder List

The Fear

A Wise Man (once sat next to him)
Over 100 appearances, helped in promotion, or won something.

For me, the top ones are a given, the ones below, good though they were/are, I don't think really? We are talking all time best.

ON THE LIST:

Dennis Mortimer
Gareth Barry
Gordon Cowans
Ian Taylor
Des Bremner
Vic Crowe
Andy Townsend (2 time league cup winner and captain the second time around)

WE CAN ADD ANOTHER 3 IF YOU WISH:

Alex Cropley (1977 league cup not 100 appearances)
Alan Deakin
Chico Hamilton
David Platt
Jack Grealish (should be discounted for his recent ridiculous actions in my humble, but many will probably disagree)
Bruce Rioch
Kevin Richardson
John McGinn (not 100 but involved in promotion, not all time best yet for me)
James Milner (27 were on loan, just did 100 but not really all time Villa)
Paul Birch
Pat McMahon

I would make a case for putting Platt's name forward, very important to us in the promotion season in 1987-88 and when we got back up he scored crucial goals.

Not saying he would get in ahead of Mortimer, Barry or Cowans mind you.

I don't think you can argue with that list to be fair and for me it comes down to the top 5 in your list of 7.

Never saw them but has to be Mortimer and Cowans. Of the modern day it's between Taylor, Barry and Jack but you can't argue with a league and European Cup winning duo.

Mortimer
Sid
Barry

Platt or Taylor. But to be honest taking away Taylor being a fan surely a no brainer for Platt.

Promotion to 2nd place with him , big move abroad and there isn't many english players coveted by top foreign sides.
And the small matter while being with us of being a key member of England world cup 90 which is the best England team in my life time by far and since 66.

Sid & Mortimer are streets ahead of the rest. Anyone else will just be crossed off later on.
Platt was brilliant in his short time here. Played a huge part in us challenging for the title under Taylor, then his goals probably kept us up the following year under Dr Jo.

For me, the top ones are a given, the ones below, good though they were/are, I don't think really? We are talking all time best.

ON THE LIST:

Dennis Mortimer
Gareth Barry
Gordon Cowans
Ian Taylor
Des Bremner
Vic Crowe

Alan Deakin
Chico Hamilton
David Platt
Jack Grealish (should be discounted for his recent ridiculous actions in my humble, but many will probably disagree)
Bruce Rioch
Kevin Richardson
Paul Birch
Pat McMahon

Think I'm sticking with that list, unless anyone can REALLY say anyone else should be on it.

Gordon Cowans./Dennis Mortimer Why aren’t they there have I missed something

I did miss something, sorry.

You've misread. ON THE LIST has Dennis (in bold because I think it will be embarrassing if the final team doesn't have THE captain in it!) and Sid.

The others below are options to go on, but I'd be happy with what we have with the 7.

Over 100 appearances, helped in promotion, or won something.

ON THE LIST:

Dennis Mortimer
Gareth Barry
Gordon Cowans
Ian Taylor
Des Bremner
Vic Crowe

Alan Deakin
Chico Hamilton
David Platt
Bruce Rioch
Kevin Richardson
Paul Birch
Pat McMahon

How about Colin Gibson, left midfield or left back.

Taylor has to come out for Platt I'm afraid . Or even Townsend if Taylor needs including just because he is a villa fan ( which let's face it is the only reason he is in there).

Platt scored 64 goals in 148 appearances in 3 and a bit seasons. For a midfielder !!!. That's pretty phenomenal. Promotion and Div 1 runner up in this time . And while with us helping England to a world cup semi final .

Submitted list:

Dennis Mortimer
Gareth Barry
Gordon Cowans
Ian Taylor
Des Bremner
Vic Crowe
Andy Townsend
David Platt