Allan Evans
Paul McGrath
Gareth Southgate
Ugo Ehiogu
Olof Mellberg
Jimmy Dugdale
Ian Ross
Chris Nicholl

So here are 9. Anyone got a 10th that fits the criteria, or happy with this?

Staunton and Hutton as full backs for me.

Staunton was a hero of mine. Used to have 3. Stan on the back of my Villa shirts, and being a left footer myself used to model myself on him a bit and his ability to deliver a ball and score a screamer every now and then. He also then went on to develop into a very useful centre back in a back 3. Just like Bozzie, was a member of the squad that won both of our last 2 trophies in 94 and 96.

Hutton's story is fantastic. The ups and downs. The bad times and the good, you could write a film about it. His professionalism throughout was superb, and THAT goal! Well he deserves his place for that alone.

Just looking to do the list of up to ten, not people's few favourites at the moment, that is down the line, however the club decide to get the votes done.

Here is a Q&A Phillips did for the club.

On reflection, I'd remove Southgate from my list and have Phillips instead.

In a new summer feature series, supporter Colin Abbott meets up with a series of ex-stars to discuss their time with Villa. Next up we chat to Leighton Phillips.
Defender Leighton Phillips was something of an unsung Villa hero - but his uncanny reading of the game was beyond question.
The Wales international was also a versatile footballer, playing in eight different positions during the course of his 18-year career.

Signed from Cardiff City for £100,000 in September 1974, Phillips won promotion in his first season at Villa Park.
And although he missed the 1975 League Cup run because he was cup-tied, he was a member of the triumphant 1977 team

https://www.avfc.co.uk/News/2015/07/04/villa-on-the-spot-leighton-phillips-qa

Leighton Phillips was probably our version of Franz Beckenbauer, a utility player like John Gregory. and Gareth Barry
Blood difficult this

Ken McNaught
Allan Evans
Paul McGrath
Gareth Southgate
Ugo Ehiogu
Olof Mellberg
Jimmy Dugdale
Ian Ross
Chris Nicholl
Leighton Phillips

Looks a decent enough list to me this.

I never saw Dugdale play so I can't really comment.

However, I did see John Sleeuwenhoek for my first 2 seasons as a kid, and believe me he gave his all for the Villa often being the best player during his 226 appearances.

Many at the time thought we would have been relegated before we actually were in 1967 if it wasn't for "Slogger" and his heroic performances.

He was also affectionately known as 'Tulip' due to his Dutch roots. Ask any older Villa fan about him and I would imagine it would only be complementary.

Sadly John died aged only 45 years old.

s-l400.jpg

Last edited:
Surely we can cross Southgate off just for being a dick. Decent player but he's never a legend.
I cant have Hutton either personally. His performances for the first few years were awful, it was only after Brucie came in he suddenly upped his game. If you counted back he probably had more poor games than good ones.

Yes. Can't fault Hutton for commitment and professionalism , but ability wise he is well behind some of the others.

Is this judged on ability though? If so Platt should probably be in the midfield section ahead of Taylor, but he's not coz he's a twat and Ian Taylor is a legend.