All Time defenders | Page 3 | Vital Football

All Time defenders

Is this judged on ability though? If so Platt should probably be in the midfield section ahead of Taylor, but he's not coz he's a twat and Ian Taylor is a legend.

Well if it's all time best then I would be choosing on ability. Platt wouldn't get in my midfield anyway , and no one will tell me that Hutton is better that Johnny Gidman at right back.

Well if it's all time best then I would be choosing on ability. Platt wouldn't get in my midfield anyway , and no one will tell me that Hutton is better that Johnny Gidman at right back.

I love Alan Hutton but the man should be nowhere near an all time list. He went through many years of being god awful before only really looking like half a player in the championship. I feel he's a cult hero rather than an all time great.

I never saw Dugdale play so I can't really comment.

However, I did see John Sleeuwenhoek for my first 2 seasons as a kid, and believe me he gave his all for the Villa often being the best player during his 226 appearances.

Many at the time thought we would have been relegated before we actually were in 1967 if it wasn't for "Slogger" and his heroic performances.

He was also affectionately known as 'Tulip' due to his Dutch roots. Ask any older Villa fan about him and I would imagine it would only be complementary.

Sadly John died aged only 45 years old.

So should be on the list then?

In place of? Maybe Southgate?

Ken McNaught
Allan Evans
Paul McGrath
Gareth Southgate
Ugo Ehiogu
Olof Mellberg
Jimmy Dugdale
Ian Ross
Chris Nicholl
Leighton Phillips

Who comes off for John Sleeuwenhoek folks?

So should be on the list then?

In place of? Maybe Southgate?

Ken McNaught
Allan Evans
Paul McGrath
Gareth Southgate
Ugo Ehiogu
Olof Mellberg
Jimmy Dugdale
Ian Ross
Chris Nicholl
Leighton Phillips

Who comes off for John Sleeuwenhoek folks?

Definitely a replacement for Southgate:thumbup:

Ken McNaught
Allan Evans
Paul McGrath
John Sleeuwenhoek
Ugo Ehiogu
Olof Mellberg
Jimmy Dugdale
Ian Ross
Chris Nicholl
Leighton Phillips

I quite like this list. So unless any really good arguments for changes, this will be it.

Thank you, Fear for including John Sleeuwenhoek.

I feel chuffed he hasn't been forgotten and proud that I was able to tell our younger contributors about him.

Thank you, Fear for including John Sleeuwenhoek.

I feel chuffed he hasn't been forgotten and proud that I was able to tell our younger contributors about him.

More than welcome, he was one I was looking at the other day when googling around and checking criteria. But my brain ache addled head, it really isn't good with these sorts of things!

I have really enjoyed those who have taken the time to contribute, I was desperate for our lists that it wasn't just a modern player popularity thing. If that is the direction it had taken, I'd have consulted with some privately and sent in lists I was comfortable with!!!!!!!!

Amavi before his injury looked like he could have been best left back we’ve had. He looked like the real deal but didn’t play enough games for us before getting injured and then didn’t look comfortable when he came back

He's doing ok for himself back in France. He never really looked the same after the injury he had for us unfortunately. We'd have probably benefited from sticking with him than signing Taylor though.

Ken McNaught
Allan Evans
Paul McGrath
Gareth Southgate
Ugo Ehiogu
Olof Mellberg
Jimmy Dugdale
Ian Ross
Chris Nicholl

So here are 9. Anyone got a 10th that fits the criteria, or happy with this?

George Cummings, 1935 - 1949, 237 games. Second division and War time League Cup Tankard.

This is getting tiring now! LOL I had the lists open for a few months.

Will look to add Mr 58, thanks sir. But he was a full-back, so will do to that list.

This is getting tiring now! LOL I had the lists open for a few months.

Will look to add Mr 58, thanks sir. But he was a full-back, so will do to that list.

George was a centre half but could play either full back spot. He was the one player Stanley Matthews hated playing against.
He used to have a shop in the High St. diagonally opposite, towards five ways, the Orient picture house.
My Gran worked in the Orient, upstairs as a ticket checker. Every pay day she'd take me around to get her pay and then into George's shop and buy me a Corgi car and George would give me a Pear drop, still my favourite sweet, or a stick of liquorice.

Listed on my searches as full back, I defer to your knowledge mate, but as the full back list is pretty solid, I'll go with that, at least it gets him on the list!

Pear drops, wow, blast from the past!

Submitted list:

Ken McNaught
Allan Evans
Paul McGrath
John Sleeuwenhoek
Ugo Ehiogu
Olof Mellberg
Jimmy Dugdale
Ian Ross
Chris Nicholl
Leighton Phillips