All Time defenders | Vital Football

All Time defenders

The Fear

A Wise Man (once sat next to him)
From this thread. https://forums.vitalfootball.co.uk/threads/all-time-11-villa-team.104460/

Lets get a list then I'll merge back:

Charlie Aitken LB
John Robson LB
Gary Williams LB (324 appearances)
Colin Gibson LB
Tony Dorigo LB ???
Alan Wright LB
Steve Staunton LB
Bobby McDonald LB
Wilfred Bouma LB

Any to remove? Not sure on Dorigo? McDonald and Bouma don't fit the criteria. Any missed? Over 100 appearances or won something.

Last edited:
John Gidman RB
Kenny Swain RB
Earl Barrett RB
Fernando Nelson RB
Mark Delaney RB
Alan Hutton RB
Stan Lynn RB

I would put John Gidman, Kenny Swain, and Stan Lynn forward.

Arguments for Barrett, Delaney and Hutton? We could put them all through. Nelson doesn't fit the criteria.

Leighton Phillips CH (League cup winner, 77, over 100 appearances)
Ian Ross CH (Promotion winning and league cup winner)
Chris Nicholl CH (League cup winner)
Ken McNaught CH (King Ken)
Allan Evans CH (Obvious)
Derek Mountfield CH
Paul McGrath CH
Kent Nielsen CH
Gareth Southgate CHn(191 appearances, league cup winner)
Ugo Ehiogu CH (237 appearances, league cup winner)
Olof Mellberg CH (232 appearances)
Martin Laursen CH
Tyrone Mings CH
Jimmy Dugdale CH (215 appearances and a F.A. Cup winner's medal in 1957, 2nd Division Championship 1960, Inaugural League Cup Winner 1961)
John Sleeuwenhoek CH (269 appearances, I have no idea if he should be on the list?)

So,

Leighton Phillips?
Ian Ross?
Chris Nicholl?

Ken McNaught
Allan Evans
Paul McGrath
Gareth Southgate
Ugo Ehiogu
Olof Mellberg
Jimmy Dugdale

Martin Laursen is the best centre half I've seen played for us after McGrath to be honest. I just checked and he has like 84 premier league appearances, surely between all of the other comps he has 16 more?

Full backs: John Gidman and Steve Staunton. Both great attacking full-backs who would give any team brilliant options and worry the hell out of the opposition as they bombed up and down the pitch.

Very difficult to leave out Villa legend Charlie Aitken but Gidman and Staunton are in my opinion, more versatile and would bring more to the team's overall play.

Full backs: John Gidman and Steve Staunton. Both great attacking full-backs who would give any team brilliant options and worry the hell out of the opposition as they bombed up and down the pitch.

Very difficult to leave out Villa legend Charlie Aitken but Gidman and Staunton are in my opinion, more versatile and would bring more to the team's overall play.

we can provide up to ten, as long as they meet the criteria, so they will all be proposed for the next phase.

Very difficult to pick the centre-backs but for me and to assist the correct balance of the defnece i'd go for:

Paul McGrath.

Olof Melberg.

we can provide up to ten, as long as they meet the criteria, so they will all be proposed for the next phase.

I can see what you need but regardless (and not helpful for you!) I can't see past the players I have chosen.

I'll keep quiet for now!

Ha, yes, really just want feedback on the entire list, we can do up to ten.

Any missed, any to remove.

Some with ??? are me asking do we want them on the list.

Taking into account Villa history etc - Here is my own list of top ten.

Paul McGrath.
Olof Melberg.
John SLeeuwenhoek.
Charlie Aitken.
Chris Nicholl.
Ken McNaught.
Ugo Ehiogu.
Alan Evans.
Gareth Southgate.
Ian Ross.

Last edited:
Ken McNaught
Allan Evans
Paul McGrath
Gareth Southgate Ian Ross
Ugo Ehiogu
Olof Mellberg
Jimmy Dugdale

Ian Ross was before my time, but I feel he probably contributed more/was more 'Villa' than Southgate. Southgate was quality, but never quite felt right for me. Neither will make the final XI though, will they?