All Time 11 Villa Team. | Page 2 | Vital Football

All Time 11 Villa Team.

3-5-2. Rimmer. Evans. McGrath. Mcnaught. Swain. Staunton. Taylor. Mortimer. Cowan's. . Withe Shaw.
Not the best 11 necessarily, but a good team? Guilty about some great players omitted. Morley, Bremner, Gibson, Aitken, Macparland,Hitchens, Dixon,Platt, Townsend,Mellberg, laursen,Ugo, Southgate,Sims,Spinksy,Deano,Dalian,Gray, Little. What great players,pity we didn't have ambition and nous in the boardroom.

I'll probably change my mind on a couple of these in a few weeks, but for now.

GK - Bosnich
RB - Swain
CB - McGrath
CB - Evans
LB - Spencer
RW - McParland
CM - Mortimer
CM - Cowans
LW - Morley
CF - Waring
CF - Shaw

Would be nice to see a couple of the older guys get in the team, rather than just players from the last 40 years.

G Mark Bosnich

RB John Gidman LB Steve Staunton

CB John Sleeuwenhoek CB Paul McGrath

LW Peter McParland RW Ashley Young

CM Dennis Mortimer (C) CM David Platt

CF Brian Little CF Andy Gray

Whilst still solid defensively - This team is packed with an abundance of skilful players with an attacking threat all over the pitch that would scare the bejeezus out of any opposition:grinning:

Last edited:
Go
G Mark Bosnich

RB John Gidman LB Steve Staunton

CB John Sleeuwenhoek CB Paul McGrath

LW Peter McParland RW Ashley Young

CM Dennis Mortimer (C) CM David Platt

CF Brian Little CF Andy Gray

Whilst still solid defensively - This team is packed with an abundance of skilful players with an attacking threat all over the pitch that would scare the bejeezus out of any opposition:grinning:
Goals a plenty Thomas but a one man midfield?

Go
Goals a plenty Thomas but a one man midfield?

I was looking at a 4-2-3-1 formation.

Gidman-Sleeuwenhoek-McGrath-Staunton.

Mortimer-Platt.

McParland-Little-Young.

Gray.

Platt was a fit and versatile player and could easily play a holding role in front of the defence and his passing was always very good.

The wide midfielders of McParland and Young would be the ideal-type of players to cut inside or make runs into the box. Sir Brian would have the ‘No. 10' role as a creative passer who could play passes into the feet of either the wide attackers or our lone striker Andy Gray.

The team would have to play as a collective and disciplined unit but they are all so talented it wouldn't be hard for them.

Andy Gray would be brilliant at unsettling defenders with his aggression plus he was excellent at heading and laying the ball off to his midfield runners.

It was a fair question and I hope my explanation will suffice;):grinning:

Last edited:
Loving these, I guess now our list is complete and submitted, you can make up your own formation rules really.

They are doing 442, so was thinking we'd do the same so we can compare when the final votes are done and dusted (I think before next season, whenever that is!)

I always thought the European cup winners were 442 but Des wasn't a winger so technically you couldn't pick the best side we ever actually put on a field

Is there going to be some rule on the wingers having to be 1 left and 1 right?
As I mentioned the other day, the right side list is poor in comparison to the left and most wingers have played on the opposite side at some point anyway.

I always thought the European cup winners were 442 but Des wasn't a winger so technically you couldn't pick the best side we ever actually put on a field

I always thought we were 4-3-3 really , Bremner was a midfielder who was more defensive, whilst Morley was the flair player.

I always thought we were 4-3-3 really , Bremner was a midfielder who was more defensive, whilst Morley was the flair player.

yes, You're right we used Morley as a left-winger and Des as a midfielder with Kenny Swain as a sort of right-winger/overlapping fullback. Ron was ahead of Jurgen Klopp obviously. Virtually 3 at the back when we attacked.

That was 433 for me

Based on who I have seen play in my life time.....

Bosnich (really was flip of a coin with Spink)

Delaney
McGrath
Mellberg
Staunton

Morley
Cowans
Platt
Young

Yorke
Shaw (no way am i leaving my first villa hero out!)