All time 11 - midfielders & strikers | Vital Football

All time 11 - midfielders & strikers

The Fear

A Wise Man (once sat next to him)
Was at a history and heritage meeting at Villa last night. The one idea is to come up with an all time top 11 players in order to have a wall of the squad pictures.

It will most likely be 442 for simplicity. So keeper. 2 central, 2 fullbacks, 2 central mids, 2 wingers. 2 strikers.

Sounds like a great idea.

So lets get talking!!!!

Your top central midfielders, from any era, for Villa in your opinions?

Was at a history and heritage meeting at Villa last night. The one idea is to come up with an all time top 11 players in order to have a wall of the squad pictures.

It will most likely be 442 for simplicity. So keeper. 2 central, 2 fullbacks, 2 central mids, 2 wingers. 2 strikers.

So lets get talking!!!!

Your top wingers, from any era, for Villa in your opinions?

So lets get talking!!!!

Your top strikers, from any era, for Villa in your opinions?

Dennis Mortimer has to feature surely? He was THE Captain of THE team that lifted THE cup.

Would make no sense at all for him not to be on the wall.

I think Gareth Barry, of the modern era, was a fantastic player and servant for us, could never understand the bile and nonsense when he moved on and won things, but that is maybe modern football for you.

Sid Cowans was a magician, simple as that.

Paul Merson was also.

Peter Withe... that shin, that goal!

I loved Dwight Yorke, yes there was a kerfuffle when he left, but he was great for us and would have stayed if we weren't procrastinating under Doug. He also did go on and win things, you can't resent that. And meh to the 'but he kissed the Man Utd badge and went to Blues' I don't carry that sort of bitterness. I think he won't make the list for those reasons, but he was a great striker.

Juan Pablo Angel in the slightly more modern era, was a breath of fresh air at the time and seemed to love Villa.

Who else we going to discuss? Carew was fun but I never felt he gave what he could have.

McInally / Rambo was great, but he can't make the all time list as he did leave after such a short time. Wiki saying 59 appearances. Did help with promotion though.

1/ Sir Brian
2/ Andy Gray (First time)
3/ Peter Withe
4/ Dwight Yorke
5/ Gary Shaw
6/ Andy Lochead
8/ JPA

yes, great list sirdennis

Brian, who still walks on water, yes, has to be in the list

(Going to be a list of x amount of options, 5 odd I'd think) and then somehow, it will be voted on, maybe to season ticket holders)

Daley, yes... remember the match v Wolves he bombed right down the wing from kick off, over to Regis, goal (or at least that is how I remember it, my memory is ravaged!)

Yes, the more modern players, it is tough isn't it? Because fans seem to be so bitter when they move on. Young, at the time, was a great player for us. Again, another who did at least move on to win things (as opposed to say Southgate, who left for Boro)

1/Sir Dennis (I dare anyone to disagree lol )
2/Sid
3/ Super Jack
4/Gareth Barry
5/James Milner
6/Alex Cropley
7/Chico Hamilton