Alex Woodyard: Retrospective | Page 2 | Vital Football

Alex Woodyard: Retrospective

I'm a bit confused. In a recent Echo article it is stated that Danny was powerless to stop the departure of Alex due to the release clause. However later in the same article Danny is quoted as saying that perhaps this will be a reality check for some people who think the club had more money than it has. Implying that we could have prevented the sale of one of our best players if we had more financial clout as a club (say as much as Posh).
So which is it?

I read it this way - Lincoln City were not in a position in January to offer Alex Woodyard what he felt he could earn elsewhere, but persuaded him to see where the club was come May. So Lincoln had six months to get promoted and convince Woody to stay on better League 1 terms, or fail and see him leave.

Fast forward to May and the release clause is met, Lincoln couldn't break the budget to match other contract offers, and the rest is history.

Also got to take into account the personal ambitions of the player - Posh League 1 club with aspirations to be a Championship side - despite their meagre attendances - and of course having Mr Evans in charge, who has a reasonably good track record of getting clubs promoted by fair means or foul.

Thought I'd bring this back to page one for anyone that might have missed it!