Alex Woodyard: Retrospective | Vital Football

Alex Woodyard: Retrospective

As many have said this evening he goes with our thanks and praise
The time was right for all concerned that allows Us to adapt our playing strategy and also gives Woody the fresh challenge
Get the feeling we may see a posh player coming this way
UTI

A fine tribute to a great player for the imps. Most clubs have found it extremely difficult to replace a water carrier of this quality. I predict we will sign him again and worried that he is now under Evans and Peterborough's dick of a Chairman. He may quickly realise they have no real interest in his development and long term future.

A fine tribute to a great player for the imps. Most clubs have found it extremely difficult to replace a water carrier of this quality. I predict we will sign him again and worried that he is now under Evans and Peterborough's dick of a Chairman. He may quickly realise they have no real interest in his development and long term future.
Every side needs a dense midfielder!

Great article about a great player, good luck to him and see him back at the Bank in blue in 19-20.

Fantastic piece by Scotimp.

Re the sideways/back pass issue, Alex’s strength was to defend, keep possession or win it back and contribute to the overall team performance. He was a colossus doing all those, one of the best ever to pull on a Lincoln shirt, so if he had to pass sideways to do the above, what’s the issue? None in my eyes.

Thanks for the memories and all you’ve done for the club Alex, we would not be where we are today without your contribution. Good luck for the future and beyond football. ?

Last edited:
An (presumably) unintended consequence for Alex's future development is the different personalities involved, as others have indicated. To have worked with people with the character of the Cowleys, and then moving to work with someone with the character of Evans, will give him a broader understanding of how to work with different managers, which can presumably only benefit him in his future career, whether as a player, or if he decides to go into management himself

An (presumably) unintended consequence for Alex's future development is the different personalities involved, as others have indicated. To have worked with people with the character of the Cowleys, and then moving to work with someone with the character of Evans, will give him a broader understanding of how to work with different managers, which can presumably only benefit him in his future career, whether as a player, or if he decides to go into management himself

It may also inform his future transfer decisions if he and the ever amiable Mr Evans :lol: don't get on..... I just hope this doesn't end badly for Alex cos he doesn't deserve that! Not sure that Mr E does 'nurturing and supportive'.....

You cannot replace Woodyard's energy, stamina, and reliability. Absolutely vital when we played the percentage style of play whereby we regularly turned over possession and needed to win the ball back. Furthermore he provided the energy that let us get away with playing Rheady. On top of that Freck and Bossie are in their 30's and you would expect them to be over run by younger fresher legs at times. So if he is irreplaceable what can be done. I expect to see a more possession based team whereby you DO NOT need to win the ball back as often. If you can keep the ball more you don't need to run about as much. I watch with interest.

I'm a bit confused. In a recent Echo article it is stated that Danny was powerless to stop the departure of Alex due to the release clause. However later in the same article Danny is quoted as saying that perhaps this will be a reality check for some people who think the club had more money than it has. Implying that we could have prevented the sale of one of our best players if we had more financial clout as a club (say as much as Posh).
So which is it?
Obviously if Alex was set on playing in L1 it is unlikely we could have stopped the move due to the clause.
But if it was down to finances etc. maybe Danny means we couldn't/wouldn't meet his financial demands. Or couldn't afford to turn down 225k.
1 Were we powerless to stop the move?
2 Would Alex have stayed if the financial package was right? (I'm not suggesting we should have breached the wage structure.)
3 Is MacAntony's bankrollingj the only reason Posh are the 'bigger' club right now?

I'm a bit confused. In a recent Echo article it is stated that Danny was powerless to stop the departure of Alex due to the release clause. However later in the same article Danny is quoted as saying that perhaps this will be a reality check for some people who think the club had more money than it has. Implying that we could have prevented the sale of one of our best players if we had more financial clout as a club (say as much as Posh).
So which is it?
Obviously if Alex was set on playing in L1 it is unlikely we could have stopped the move due to the clause.
But if it was down to finances etc. maybe Danny means we couldn't/wouldn't meet his financial demands. Or couldn't afford to turn down 225k.
2 Would Alex have stayed if the financial package was right? (I'm not suggesting we should have breached the wage structure.)
3 Is MacAntony's bankrollingj the only reason Posh are the 'bigger' club right now?

Or, perhaps, that we had to accept the release clause when offering the new contract - no release clause, no signature - and, thus, his departure now. Without the release clause, we might not have had his services this season past...

So which is it?
I'd say they probably could have convinced Woody not to sign away his career to Evans if they had wanted to. If the club was in a stronger position (financially and footballing) they would have had the conversation about all the things that we've mentioned on here (generally Evans is a t**t) and convinced Woody to give it another shot with us for a season.

Irrespective of what we think of Evans, he has a record of creating teams which challenge for promotion. His management style may not be one which endears him to many but Woodyard is joining a team which only just missed out on playoffs and which will no doubt be challenging L1 playoffs next season.

We are a L2 club with aspirations but haven't played in 3rd tier in almost 20 years.

In terms of our playing style, Bossie and Woodyard in midfield presented a challenge of terms of lack of box to box attacking midfield- That Bossie played much of the season in a CB role offset this conflict but, with Bossie signing his contract extension, the likelihood of Alex leaving was increased.

This move removes a difficult decision and allows DC to progress a subtle change in playing style. Right move for both parties in my honest opinion.

MY only thought, seeing his first Posh interview- he comes across as a quiet, thoughtful, introverted character not a brash outgoing type (seemed to me anyway)- this move will give him a taste of a different type of manager and, after his service to the Imps, I hope it works out for him