Aldershot | Vital Football

Aldershot

Old Poolie

Vital Squad Member
A huge game for Pools.
We must get back to grinding out positive results. If DC has his best starting 11 then we should be too strong, at least on paper, for Aldershot but only if Pools can rediscover belief in themselves.
To have any chance of reaching the playoff final then without being able to finish 2nd then everything must be done to try and obtain 3rd spot.

I have compared our points total and remaining fixtures with Stockport's and have come to the conclusion we have little chance of sneaking third spot. County have two points more than us having played the same number of games. We need Stockport to lose to Torquay on Sunday and then win all of our remaining games (Sutton away?) in order to get third spot because Stockport have Woking and Yeovil left to play so 6 points guaranteed. Even a draw with Torquay would be no use cos their goal difference is far better than our's and actually I would not be too surprised if Stockport beat Torquay. With Notts County running into some serious form we may even struggle to be 4th. Maybe I am just feeling a bit low but I suspect we will still be an NL team next season. I think we will be lucky to pick up 4 points from our remaining fixtures.

Last edited:
TBH I haven't thought that Pools could achieve promotion this season, however it would be nice to have at least one home match in the playoffs, with fans present. So finishing 4th or 5th would achieve this. Beyond that I don't have any expectations.

My biggest concern is whether Raj has "bet the farm" on achieving promotion this season and that this impacts on Pool's ability to be competitive in the NL next season.

Agree totally about Raj! I am worried that if we dont go up we will be in serious trouble next season.

Anyway, my prediction for today is 1-1 with Pools scoring first, missing loads of chances and then giving away the equalizer due to a defensive howler.

I'm unsure about what to predict for today's scoreline. I feel that Pools really require a victory, but suspect that Aldershot will come away victorious!

DC has gone with his strongest line-up, with the exception of goalie where young Bradley James gets his first start. No sign of Ravas or Odisina.

If we stay injury free, I cant see Odisina playing again this season. As for today's game I just cant shake off the pessimism. I think it is a hangover for the huge expectation that was weakened by the loss at Bromley and smashed to smithereens after Maidenhead. It happens every time doesn't it? We have so little success that when the smell of it wafts our way way we're already planning the promotion celebrations only for it all to pooped on from a great height. I should have known better.

A good win today, despite my prematch pessimism!

Sutton have continued with their winning ways and appear to have cemented top spot.
I'm still hoping for a top 3 finish, but that is going to rely on a helping hand from other teams, starting with Torquay against Stockport.

Thrilled to bits I was proved wrong in my pessimistic prediction, so well done to the lads. This result means that just one more point guarantees us 4th place and we could keep it anyway if results go our way. I am now a Torquay fan for the duration of their game against Stockport.