Akinde Set To Sign For Gillingham? | Page 7 | Vital Football

Akinde Set To Sign For Gillingham?

Seems bonkers if true

But suppose a player made it abundantly clear they didn‘t want to be at a club what do you do? Carry on paying him for the duration of their contract in the knowledge you are very unlikely to get anything like value for money or cut you losses no matter how financially painful that may be? Players are ‘paid up’ all the time....we used to be prolific at it!

What is your source of this info? A totally unreliable person told me last night that we had agreed to pay JA's salary for 8 months and then Gillingham would take it on.

If that’s the case we Might as well have kept him and made use of him for 8 months. surely this cannot be true

I have no idea whether it is true or not (and I have no idea how these things would leak into the public domain either), but it may not be as bonkers as some people think. Don't forget that Akinde was on a three-year contract. I am no mathematician, but it is possible that it is cheaper to let Akinde leave on a free transfer now including paying his (Gillingham-sized) wages for 6 months in preference to paying a large (Lincoln-sized) wage for another 18 months to a contracted player who looks destined to be no more than a perennial substitute. In essence, we will have saved ourselves one year of big wages - perhaps £200,000 if the rumour is true - which effectively waives the need for a transfer fee. It also frees up a space in the squad for someone who may actually play.

As I said, I am no mathematician; please let me know if I have that wrong.

I have not seen all the home games recently, but against Peterborough coming off the bench imo he gained us three points when we were heading for nil, and in the same situation finished Bolton off. If we were on 45/46 points I would look at the longer term, but in the current situation we needed him to come on for the final 30 to give us another option, shake the other lot up. If he was unhappy, tough, he was / is on very good money for kicking a ball about, get on with it, and do what you are asked by your employers.
IF we are paying his wages how will that one come across when he returns to SB in a few weeks ? It could be there is an agreement, as part of the transfer he will not play in that game, could be an awkward situation.
UTI.

Hortin said, "Akinde - Imps have got top earner off the books with a restructuring of wages coming in."

..If we were on 45/46 points I would look at the longer term, but in the current situation we needed him to come on for the final 30 to give us another option....
UTI.

We're not going down regardless.

I have always seen the merit in John Akinde's inclusion in the team as he has great attributes, but absolutely glaring weaknesses. He wasn't a starter this season with the Cowleys either.

Here's a little confession. Last night I was watching the Carabao Cup Semi and despite what Messrs Tyler and Neville were telling me I was a little bored. I flicked through my IPTV to see what else was happening and up came Gillingham v Shrewsbury.

I swear that not 15 seconds after it came on someone put Akinde clean through 30 yards out. He subsequently tripped over the ball and the entire Shrews defence got back to cover. If one moment summed up his weaknesses that was it.

I understand he had a good game overall though and he may well work out well for Gillingham who play a far more direct and physical game than we do now.

Didn't we possibly get Cian Bolger on a free transfer this time last year to the shock of Mr Barton. These kind of deal are probably happening all the time now as clubs balance the books and as identified makes the deal worth in reality the saving on wages.

Big John involved in both Gills goals at Rochdale.
who needs to score goals to be effective on the pitch over the 90,big John creates chances for his striking partners just by his presence.

Akinde had a ‘finger tip’ save by all accounts, and brought down for the penalty - incidental he didn’t take the penalty...

We're not going down regardless.

I have always seen the merit in John Akinde's inclusion in the team as he has great attributes, but absolutely glaring weaknesses. He wasn't a starter this season with the Cowleys either.

Here's a little confession. Last night I was watching the Carabao Cup Semi and despite what Messrs Tyler and Neville were telling me I was a little bored. I flicked through my IPTV to see what else was happening and up came Gillingham v Shrewsbury.

I swear that not 15 seconds after it came on someone put Akinde clean through 30 yards out. He subsequently tripped over the ball and the entire Shrews defence got back to cover. If one moment summed up his weaknesses that was it.

I understand he had a good game overall though and he may well work out well for Gillingham who play a far more direct and physical game than we do now.
Yes,had a look at the limited highlights and he had a decent shot tipped over the bar by the keeper and made the run into the box which created the penalty.

He has done ok in his first two starts and i just wonder if MA had known about Forest`s true intentions then the deal to Gillingham might have been delayed until the last day of the window.
Hindsight is wonderful,it`s easy to second guess after the facts.

Last edited:
I have no idea whether it is true or not (and I have no idea how these things would leak into the public domain either), but it may not be as bonkers as some people think. Don't forget that Akinde was on a three-year contract. I am no mathematician, but it is possible that it is cheaper to let Akinde leave on a free transfer now including paying his (Gillingham-sized) wages for 6 months in preference to paying a large (Lincoln-sized) wage for another 18 months to a contracted player who looks destined to be no more than a perennial substitute. In essence, we will have saved ourselves one year of big wages - perhaps £200,000 if the rumour is true - which effectively waives the need for a transfer fee. It also frees up a space in the squad for someone who may actually play.

LCFC are currently in disposal mode and that means cutting overheads so all high salary staff are hitting the road in order to cut the wage bill.Too many top drawer contracts handed out by the previous regime and to stabilise the business model this has had to happen.
I feel that the comments you make regarding the Akinde deal maybe fairly close to the truth.....not sure on the figures,heard ave, salary 140k pa(unconfirmed)

JA was never going to be part of MA`s plan going forward so no point in investing in assets that are costly and will only be rarely used.

All this debate on a player who the manager clearly didn't rate as he sat on the bench most weeks. Why on earth would we keep a player that who was supposedly one of if not the top earner at the club but who was clearly not in the managers plans.

On his day Akinde was unplayable unfortunately there weren't too many of "those days" so it's a good deal all round that he has gone and we move on!

I can see that side of it but I would have thought/hoped that we could hang onto him until the summer and then move him on for free in the summer without having to pay his wages up. At least then we would get something for our 6 months wages.