Akinde Set To Sign For Gillingham? | Page 6 | Vital Football

Akinde Set To Sign For Gillingham?

Why are so many deals now undisclosed?! It's boring... why can't we have the juicy facts on all the deals. I think every deal should be transparent and us fans could then chew on them knowing the full picture.
The selling club doesn't want other clubs and especially agents knowing they have (how much) money.

No, that is the whole point. No one should know outside the parties involved.

Lest we forget the “parties involved” also include the beloved agents brokering the deal. Don’t think they’d be very likely to keep that kind of information to themselves, especially if - let’s speculatively say - one of their fellow agent mates could do with knowing how much cash a club might have when negotiating another deal.

For the good of transparency of finances in football, personally I think that all fees (including agent’s fees on the deal) are fully disclosed to the public.

Yeah. I think I first read that in the LCFC history book written by the two brothers!

In the section on transfer fees they state:

"Transfer fees have to be kept confidential by clubs as a result of a Football League rule introduced in 1922"

That was written in 1997, so no idea whether the said rule still applies or not.

Thought he looked a man with a point to prove in the Bolton game, when he came on. He certainly did that. Good luck to him!
Shame he didn’t have that attitude every game (though I’m being a tad hard on him and appreciate what he did for us - just wish it was more often).

In the section on transfer fees they state:

"Transfer fees have to be kept confidential by clubs as a result of a Football League rule introduced in 1922"

That was written in 1997, so no idea whether the said rule still applies or not.
Don’t think so as posh announced they paid 500K rising to £1mil for a player earlier this month.

Scotimp is very naively correct. It’s done to reduce the amount of people who know how much money you’re spending/receiving.

But to think that it won’t leak out inside of the games considering all the people involved? Especially as some agents will be able to use it for their own benefit. I guess it’s a nice thought?

I can't find anything in the current EFL rulebook about confidentiality for transfer fees. I suspect there are some very practical reasons though. The introduction of time restricted transfer windows is the most obvious. If a club announces they have received £500,000 for a player and looks to buy a replacement the potential selling clubs will price their man accordingly. Also transfer fees are often quite complex so not always easy to calculate. There can be bonuses for appearance milestones, international caps, etc as well as a signing on fee to the player. As the transfer will involve the new club taking responsibility for wages there is also further financial benefit to the selling club assuming the replacement is on lower wages. Then of course there are sell on fees to factor in. The total amounts paid and received generally emerge in the annual accounts. Although most clubs spread fees paid over the length of the player's contract.

When he was presiding over the Galacticos era Real Madrid's Florentinio Perez said he didn't mind publicising the huge fees. He felt it was in the club's interest to break transfer records as it suited their "brand" as the world's premier football club.

Bizarrely, on the other side of the same coin, is this little story
0.jpg

By the looks of things we have t received a fee for our record signing!!! Surely that can't be right !?

By the looks of things we have t received a fee for our record signing!!! Surely that can't be right !?
What is your source of this info? A totally unreliable person told me last night that we had agreed to pay JA's salary for 8 months and then Gillingham would take it on.