Akinde, Cowley & Transition | Page 2 | Vital Football

Akinde, Cowley & Transition

using the two wingers formation, in the swindon; notts; exeter games we did cause all sorts of problems. not so much in the northampton; grimsby; bury games. first six games; 5 wins. 14 goals. maybe we didn't really need a plan b.

but opposition teams also watch tapes and learn. in the last six games we have 4 wins. but have only scored 7 goals. and have come up against more of the stubborn approach mentioned. against macc, mkdons, cheltenham, tranmere, crewe we have still had a lot of the ball, and played some excellent football, but haven't created so much. two late winners. then two late goals at cheltenham. then a zero at tranmere. and struggling for an hour against crewe. late winners can't be relied upon. there will be plenty of teams setting up this way if it continues to frustrate us.

which is why i believe we are looking to introduce something different - and pleased that the management team are prepared to do this. they ignore the fact that we are top, they don't just sit on their laurels until we get too bogged down.

were crawley also sitting back. i imagine the sending off changed the dynamic of that game?

Akinde off the ball is nearly as dangerous as on it(obviously cant score being the difference without it ) he drags players out of position so well. You guys see it better then me as i only have ifollow to work on but thats my opinion

I’d say the Cowleys play a ‘successful ‘ style of football. After all that is the bottom line that they are judged on. I think they are able to recognise the qualities or lack of, of the players that they have in a squad, and adjust the formation and style of play accordingly, that will get the best result on match day. This season we have improved on last season for individual ability and you can see we are playing, on the whole a crisper, faster paced passing game. Much more movement off the ball. Our problem this season and last season is very often the main striker gets isolated. We are top of the table, and yet so far this season I haven’t felt like we have clicked as a team. I think there is more to come and we will have a better 2nd half of the season. Watch out Division 2.

i got the impression that eardley was getting nearer to the byline for crosses last season. doing a true overlap (like toffolo this year down the left). which made the crosses more dangerous than the ones from positions where the ball is rolled back to him by anderson.

I think most of Eardley's "danger" crosses came from level with the 18 yard line last season.