Ah, Yes, I remember it well... | Vital Football

Ah, Yes, I remember it well...

"What happened next is the stuff of legend"

One of those moments where you will always remember where you were

It was a period or midway through a period of City's history that would be forever in the record books for the oddest reason for 6 consecutive seasons we never played in the same league 1997 2nd tier 1998 3rd tier 1999 2nd tier 2000 1st tier 2001 2nd tier 2002 1st tier.

in that 1998/9 season, I was so confident that we would walk the division finishing with so many points promotion was certain to be ours by Christmas, I had been annoyed in the previous season as Uwe Rosler left us for nothing, but as things turned out we were at our lowest ebb and Joe Royle and Willie Donachie somehow turned us around and headed us in the right direction.

I didn't watch the penalties against Gillingham I was too nervous but we were heading for promotion and relegation and promotion in the following seasons, always in the shadow since the early 70s of Stretford and the butt end of jokes, everybody's favourite 2nd team never quite the bride but loved just as much.

Had we not managed to beat Gillingham, heavens knows where we would be now, and similarly, in 2008 had we gone down that year there would not have been Shiek Mansour to step in and more likely City were on the verge of insolvency.

I am convinced that that result was absolutely critical in the history of the club. David Bernstein has stated his firm belief that had City not been promoted that season the deal to secure the move to Eastlands would not have gone through with the Council. As a consequence the attractiveness of the club to our current owners would probably never have materialised.

I had to watch the game at a friends house as I did not have Sky. He had left me to my pain after the second Gillingham goal went in. I had a vision of the club sinking into lower league obscurity like other great teams of the past such as Preston NE etc.

I always remember singing my head off in the car as I drove home that evening waving to other City fans as they passed me on the M40.

Let’s not forget Dichov’s equaliser in the first leg of the semi final against Wigan after the calamitous mix up between Weaver and Weikens in the first minute which left us 0-1 down before a City player had touched the ball.

Or Goater’s winning goal in the second leg.....

Or Kevin Horlock’s precise strike for the first goal in the comeback.......

Heroes the lot of them.:bow:

I am convinced that that result was absolutely critical in the history of the club. David Bernstein has stated his firm belief that had City not been promoted that season the deal to secure the move to Eastlands would not have gone through with the Council. As a consequence the attractiveness of the club to our current owners would probably never have materialised.

I had to watch the game at a friends house as I did not have Sky. He had left me to my pain after the second Gillingham goal went in. I had a vision of the club sinking into lower league obscurity like other great teams of the past such as Preston NE etc.

I always remember singing my head off in the car as I drove home that evening waving to other City fans as they passed me on the M40.

Let’s not forget Dichov’s equaliser in the first leg of the semi final against Wigan after the calamitous mix up between Weaver and Weikens in the first minute which left us 0-1 down before a City player had touched the ball.

Or Goater’s winning goal in the second leg.....

Or Kevin Horlock’s precise strike for the first goal in the comeback.......

Heroes the lot of them.:bow:

I forgot about the Stadium deal and promotion which was so necessary to seal the deal and your points in the build-up were so crucial and you have to say that The corpulent Lady was sat on her backside for a while before she finally got up to sing.

I found this buried in my Safari bookmarks and if you have a minute it's a walk down memory lane.
I think BD may have put it up at some point in the past.