Agoraphobic mum-to-be can be forced to hospital for birth, court rules | Vital Football

Agoraphobic mum-to-be can be forced to hospital for birth, court rules

mike_field

Vital Football Legend
Medics can use force to take a pregnant woman who has agoraphobia to hospital to give birth, a judge has ruled.
The 21-year-old has an "overwhelming" fear of leaving her home, the Court of Protection in London heard.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-57108649

Sadly this isn't a great report when it comes to details, but being CoP based, I'm amazed they didn't slap restrictions on this like they sadly tend to do for what is effectively a secret court (but in some circs for bloody good reason).

Given she wanted home birth given her condition 'unless' there was an emergency:

1st or 2nd child?
What 'increased risks' apply here?
Was she prepared to pay for private midwifery?
Even time to local maternity unit would factor for complications.

Judge definitely erred on capacity over childbirth decisions if she was willing to go to hospital in an emergency as that shows critical thinking and weighing of odds.

Just seems strange to authorise 'proportional force' on someone with increased risks when my first thought would be high blood pressure, other linked issues inc the agora, which means the second they turn up she'll naturally spike in all directions. Not least any force in relation to the heart, stress levels and then the natural risk of physical injury.

All things considered - gas and air whilst in transmit...blimey, knock her out at home and if the risks are that high anyway, surely they'd be going C-section for safety - got to be better than 'proportional force'.

If she was willing to pay for all the costs of home birth, then fine, if not, nope... no reason the tax payer should cover the cost UNLESS medics conclude it is mentally impossible for her to leave home.

Caught that Kef and was also torn. I saw one lass talking about issues with a face mask and was immediately caught between:

A - more important things going on
B - let her use a face shield instead as that sounded less problematic based on her words
C - just set up the blind surgery blanket thingy as a compromise

Forced to wear masks? Same as the workers are forced to risk catching covid I guess. The masks aren't that bad.

I can understand why it's a problem wearing one whilst in labour though as I've had 4 children

A lot of things are a problem though, we are in a pandemic. Of course, they won't make the experience any more pleasant, but ...........