After the Lord Mayor's Show | Vital Football

After the Lord Mayor's Show

MadAmster

Vital Squad Member
After the Lord Mayor's show............

Poor passing, insufficient movement off the ball to give the man in possession options. Free kicks and corners were awful. Lacl of composure. Some Kamikaze defending at times, Fozzy early doors, Keogh twice. We huffed and puffed but couldn't blow their house down. All too often choosing to go through the middle where they seemed to have 97 defenders...... Poor choices.

Their game play worked well aided and abetted by our poor choices. They got the goal they never thought they would and held out. Credit to their defence as they got onto the end of just about every cross, free kick and corner. Kudos.

The stats say 74% possession 17 shots and just the one on target. I would argue the amount as at least half were blocked by defenders but were actually on target. Either way, we weren't good enough today. It appears we have the same Achilles Heel we have had for a few seasons now. The inability to break down a massed and well organised defence. That has to be our number one focus now. How to get round and/or behind mass defences.

Expected today to be a loss unfortunately, hopefully just a bit of blow out after Tuesday, and we'll be back on it for Norwich, by no means an easy contest!

Nil desperandum! Still only four points off the top.
Just so frustrating to be dropping nine points against the likes of Millwall, Rotherham and Bolton.

How the hell did Olkowski stay on after that tackle where his studs went extremely dangerously into Bennett's knee? Red all day but the ref only gave yellow.

After the Lord Mayor's show............

Poor passing, insufficient movement off the ball to give the man in possession options. Free kicks and corners were awful. Lacl of composure. Some Kamikaze defending at times, Fozzy early doors, Keogh twice. We huffed and puffed but couldn't blow their house down. All too often choosing to go through the middle where they seemed to have 97 defenders...... Poor choices.

Their game play worked well aided and abetted by our poor choices. They got the goal they never thought they would and held out. Credit to their defence as they got onto the end of just about every cross, free kick and corner. Kudos.

The stats say 74% possession 17 shots and just the one on target. I would argue the amount as at least half were blocked by defenders but were actually on target. Either way, we weren't good enough today. It appears we have the same Achilles Heel we have had for a few seasons now. The inability to break down a massed and well organised defence. That has to be our number one focus now. How to get round and/or behind mass defences.

It has to be down to Lampard on this one. You can't keep playing 30+year olds for three games in a week. I recognise the fact that the game against United was a reward for the great performance against Brentford but Nugent is 33 FFS,

Keogh made two cock-ups which may, or may not have been due to tiredness, Mount threw up on the pitch and the whole team looked to be slow and generally tired.

Sorry Frank but I think you need to get some of the fringe players more involved. We have a big squad and not to use Waghorn, Marriott or Jozefzoon from the off was a mistake to me

[QUOT="Bloomeram, post: 1573717, member: 4196"]It has to be down to Lampard on this one. You can't keep playing 30+year olds for three games in a week. I recognise the fact that the game against United was a reward for the great performance against Brentford but Nugent is 33 FFS,

Keogh made two cock-ups which may, or may not have been due to tiredness, Mount threw up on the pitch and the whole team looked to be slow and generally tired.

Sorry Frank but I think you need to get some of the fringe players more involved. We have a big squad and not to use Waghorn, Marriott or Jozefzoon from the off was a mistake to me[/QUOTE]

Take your point Bloomer, but it’s a little bit ‘damned if he does, damned if he doesn’t’. For all the sense you’re making there’ll be another school of thought going...’told ya...never change a winning team’.

I take comfort from the fact that this is potentially our most promising season since 2013-14 when McClaren first arrived and long before he turned into the prat he became.
Think it must have been just about exactly five years ago that he took over and transformed the season. We’re much better placed now with, imo, a stronger squad. Lampard is still learning and the squad is still gelling. Early days, still eight months to go. Hopefully the run might begin against Norwich on Tuesday just like it did against Leeds five years ago.

Latest Rams News