AFC Bournemouth v Aston Villa (Saturday 1 February 2020): Match Thread | Page 27 | Vital Football

AFC Bournemouth v Aston Villa (Saturday 1 February 2020): Match Thread

I think ultimately what this season has shown is that we're still living with issues caused by previous owners, namely the fact we ended up having to buy virtually a new team when coming up to the premiership. We were always risking a season like this, if the team didn't sync or the purchases either turned out to be bad ones or if they took a while to adjust to the new league. The idea to buy young players and build a team with a view to the future was an admirable idea, it just hasn't worked for us.

What really did us in was not being able to hold on to Abraham, we've basically lacked a recognised forward all season and for one reason or another Wesley hasn't worked out us (yet).

Yes, the Jan transfer window wasn't great, however, it wasn't great really for anyone as far as strikers go, there simply wasn't anyone decent around. Sure, splashing millions is one way to go, but we're then left with FFP issues if we go down and a potentially massive wage bill in the Championship.

I have to be honest, I don't watch enough games to know exactly where the issue lies, whether its with the manager or the players, its almost certainly a combination of both. Smith may have trouble picking his best players, simply because so many of them can't string a consistent string of performances together, playing decent one game and then committing simple errors the next.

This could be down to them playing a system they're simply not suited to - as I said, I don't see enough games to know for sure.

If we do go down, I just hope we manage to keep most of the squad together, sure we'll probably loose McGinn and Grealish, but we should get very decent money for them, which will help in the replacements (and probably with an eye on FFP too).

When you look at Wolves, when they did come up, they managed to keep nearly all of their loans, converting them to purchases, which meant they kept the squad together, we didn't have that luxury, plus we had a lot of players to clear out & replace.

Yes Smith will take a lot of the blame, but to be honest, if we do go down, it may be better he stays. Firstly, I don't know really if a new manager would really help anything a) who would want the job and b) there is something to be said for consistency. I suspect it was this and the longer term plan for building a young side that explains Smith's 4 year deal in November, even though I have to say, even I was a bit surprised when they did that.

As always, the answers are never clear cut. A new Manager bounce never lasts long - look at Man Utd or West Ham.

The run in is key.. (not all fixtures listed, mainly top 4/5 games or games with relegation teams shown)

Norwich:
* Hard Games: LIV, WOL, MCI, LEI, CHE
* Nearby Teams: ARS, BHA, WAT, WHU

Watford
* Hard Games: LIV, MUN, MCI, LEI, CHE
* Nearby Teams: NOR, ARS, BHA, PAL

West Ham
* Hard Games: LIV, MCI, LEI, CHE, TOT
* Nearby Teams: NOR, ARS, BHA, WAT, AVL

Villa
* Hard Games: LIV, LEI, CHE, WOL, MUN, TOT
* Nearby Teams: WHU (A), CRY (H), ARS (H)

Bournemouth
* Hard Games: CHE, LIV, WOL, MUN, TOT, LEI, MCI
* Nearby Teams: BUR, CRY

Brighton
* Hard Games: LEI, MUN, LIV, MCI
* Nearby Teams: ARS, NOR, BUR

Burnley
* Hard Games: TOT, MCI, LIV, WOL
* Nearby Teams: ARS, BOU, WAT, WHU, NOR, BHA, CRY

Palace
* Hard Games: LIV, LEI, CHE, MUN, TOT, WOL
* Nearby Teams: BHA, WAT, BOU, BUR, AVL

Arsenal
* Hard Games: LEI, TOT, LIV, MCI, WOL
* Nearby Teams: BUR, WHU, NOR, AVL, WAT

To be honest, looking at that, we've had most of our "6 pointers", albeit, we've got 2 left and both away, so on current form, we'll probably lose them both. Looking at the the harder games, we've only got Liverpool left, quite a few of the others have both City and Liverpool to play.

Either-way, the season is far from over. We just have to at least win our home games. Norwich I can't see surviving and probably West Ham or Watford are favourites for 19th. The only positive is that really we're only 6 points off 10th, in that the bottom half of the table is very close, we could survive with only a few wins from our remaining games. Equally if we can somehow put together a good run, it wouldn't take much to end up mid table.

Ultimately, the last game of the season against West Ham could end up being a do-or-die game. Our last 3 are EVE(A), ARS (H) and WHU (A). We need to make our home games against Man Utd, Palace and Arsenal count. Loose those and I can't see us picking up too many points on the road.

Its definitely going to be a close run-in, that's for sure!

Sorry for the long post!

UTV!

Last edited:
Crap result. Crap performance. We stumble on like we have all season.

But sorry I cannot get over the 'we are down, hello championship ' crap I have read post match.

We are well in this . We have been all season No one has a crystal ball. It's going to be a struggle. It has all season. I expected it . It seems others didnt or have forgotten.

Up to you of course but alot of this post match and actually lets surrender the season stuff reminds me of 57 fannies quotes. Hopefully while we are still in the hunt everyone at VP and away games aren't giving up and try and pull us through this bitch of a season.
Sheffield Utd have embraced their bitch of a season with little money spent. We are still in the hunt, only because there is real shyte below us

As far as I'm concerned, this is as important as the semi final. It is a must win game.

Talking to DJ our Bournemouth editor, he was more worried if we parked the bus rather than what we do now, going forward.

We will see. It is an interesting clash.

It is very poor scouting and tactics to not sit back against us.

That'll do fulford/dj.

Don't do this sort of match talk. And yes, in this case, it is mostly the villa posts against bournemouth.

Talk the football.

Crap match and two very average teams would be my summary. Not got any pride at any of that.

It is very poor scouting and tactics to not sit back against us.

Yes, as we discussed privately the other day. You said if we go forward we'll lose, if we defend and go on the break, you'd lose.

I said we only have one way of playing, no plan b.

Reactions: DJ
Sorry, they've been on the slide, they went down to ten men and we still couldn't win.

This was one of the must wins, we've not beaten anyone in the top half have we? And we have them all coming up.

Still, can't say I am surprised, so can't be getting angry, seen it all before.

:cry:

Who are you and don't enter here with that kind of sense!

I might nick that for the frontpage tomorrow actually!

We're not helping ourselves for sure, but the summer meant there was no quick fix. I think we should've kept one or two for dressing room/training ground influence, but we can't clamour for players who 12 months ago weren't good enough to be kept in the Championship and suddenly think they are the Premier League fix.

With FFP - and let's face it, the Stadium deal got us out of that fix - this year is a balancing game looking at survival as well as possible relegation. It's a reality and we have to lump it.

Every game shows how shit Smith is as a manager with shit players and a shit coaching staff.

Yet another ‘over the top‘ post......’Every game’......just ridiculous! Today we lost and we were disappointing, on Tuesday we reached a cup final, beating a very good team in the process. Surely we can get a bit more balance in the debate rather than this one way nonsense.

We're not helping ourselves for sure, but the summer meant there was no quick fix. I think we should've kept one or two for dressing room/training ground influence, but we can't clamour for players who 12 months ago weren't good enough to be kept in the Championship and suddenly think they are the Premier League fix.

With FFP - and let's face it, the Stadium deal got us out of that fix - this year is a balancing game looking at survival as well as possible relegation. It's a reality and we have to lump it.
Balancing game for sure, Drunkwater signing showed where we are as a club, showed everything.

I’ll put a request in the suggestions box. Any particular size for you?
You’ve had your moment I think it’s time to move on instead of winding Villa fans up.
Congrats on the win.

That'll do fulford/dj.

Don't do this sort of match talk. And yes, in this case, it is mostly the villa posts against bournemouth.

Talk the football.

Crap match and two very average teams would be my summary. Not got any pride at any of that.
Just in case it was missed folks.

giphy.webp

Couldn’t believe they let Whelan go, I’d also of kept the Scottish Cafu.
12 month contracts to those 2 & possibly Jedinak might of made some difference

Unfortunately all too predictable... the cursed league cup win for lesser teams means relegation. The squad hasn’t been upgraded in quality so it will be a fight for the rest of the season. Kourtney’s form is poor & he really should be a backup player, it’s been so obvious the last 5 games. Not enough up front to stay up so I’m ready for the inevitable because today’s game proved it .

I thought we had room ffp wise but even then it seems fairly straighforward.
Can't imagine anyone we've signed haven't got relegation clauses (unless we're still Fox-like imcompetent). So it's either stay up and another £150 mill of sky money - ffp excuse is done.
As is likely relegated - Grealish gone and parachute payments - fine for a couple of championship seasons til we're fooked.
Not much more to it than that is there ?

Last edited:
I think ultimately what this season has shown is that we're still living with issues caused by previous owners, namely the fact we ended up having to buy virtually a new team when coming up to the premiership. We were always risking a season like this, if the team didn't sync or the purchases either turned out to be bad ones or if they took a while to adjust to the new league. The idea to buy young players and build a team with a view to the future was an admirable idea, it just hasn't worked for us.

What really did us in was not being able to hold on to Abraham, we've basically lacked a recognised forward all season and for one reason or another Wesley hasn't worked out us (yet).

Yes, the Jan transfer window wasn't great, however, it wasn't great really for anyone as far as strikers go, there simply wasn't anyone decent around. Sure, splashing millions is one way to go, but we're then left with FFP issues if we go down and a potentially massive wage bill in the Championship.

I have to be honest, I don't watch enough games to know exactly where the issue lies, whether its with the manager or the players, its almost certainly a combination of both. Smith may have trouble picking his best players, simply because so many of them can't string a consistent string of performances together, playing decent one game and then committing simple errors the next.

This could be down to them playing a system they're simply not suited to - as I said, I don't see enough games to know for sure.

If we do go down, I just hope we manage to keep most of the squad together, sure we'll probably loose McGinn and Grealish, but we should get very decent money for them, which will help in the replacements (and probably with an eye on FFP too).

When you look at Wolves, when they did come up, they managed to keep nearly all of their loans, converting them to purchases, which meant they kept the squad together, we didn't have that luxury, plus we had a lot of players to clear out & replace.

Yes Smith will take a lot of the blame, but to be honest, if we do go down, it may be better he stays. Firstly, I don't know really if a new manager would really help anything a) who would want the job and b) there is something to be said for consistency. I suspect it was this and the longer term plan for building a young side that explains Smith's 4 year deal in November, even though I have to say, even I was a bit surprised when they did that.

As always, the answers are never clear cut. A new Manager bounce never lasts long - look at Man Utd or West Ham.

The run in is key.. (not all fixtures listed, mainly top 4/5 games or games with relegation teams shown)

Norwich:
* Hard Games: LIV, WOL, MCI, LEI, CHE
* Nearby Teams: ARS, BHA, WAT, WHU

Watford
* Hard Games: LIV, MUN, MCI, LEI, CHE
* Nearby Teams: NOR, ARS, BHA, PAL

West Ham
* Hard Games: LIV, MCI, LEI, CHE, TOT
* Nearby Teams: NOR, ARS, BHA, WAT, AVL

Villa
* Hard Games: LIV, LEI, CHE, WOL, MUN
* Nearby Teams: WHU (A), CRY (H), ARS (H)

Bournemouth
* Hard Games: CHE, LIV, WOL, MUN, TOT, LEI, MCI
* Nearby Teams: BUR, CRY

Brighton
* Hard Games: LEI, MUN, LIV, MCI
* Nearby Teams: ARS, NOR, BUR

Burnley
* Hard Games: TOT, MCI, LIV, WOL
* Nearby Teams: ARS, BOU, WAT, WHU, NOR, BHA, CRY

Palace
* Hard Games: LIV, LEI, CHE, MUN, TOT, WOL
* Nearby Teams: BHA, WAT, BOU, BUR, AVL

Arsenal
* Hard Games: LEI, TOT, LIV, MCI, WOL
* Nearby Teams: BUR, WHU, NOR, AVL, WAT

To be honest, looking at that, we've had most of our "6 pointers", albeit, we've got 2 left and both away, so on current form, we'll probably lose them both. Looking at the the harder games, we've only got Liverpool left, quite a few of the others have both City and Liverpool to play.

Either-way, the season is far from over. We just have to at least win our home games. Norwich I can't see surviving and probably West Ham or Watford are favourites for 19th. The only positive is that really we're only 6 points off 10th, in that the bottom half of the table is very close, we could survive with only a few wins from our remaining games. Equally if we can somehow put together a good run, it wouldn't take much to end up mid table.

Ultimately, the last game of the season against West Ham could end up being a do-or-die game. Our last 3 are EVE(A), ARS (H) and WHU (A). We need to make our home games against Man Utd, Palace and Arsenal count. Loose those and I can't see us picking up too many points on the road.

Its definitely going to be a close run-in, that's for sure!

Sorry for the long post!

UTV!

Lovely to read a post with a bit of balance mate.....and very brave of you to come on here tonight and dare to mention sticking with Dean Smith if we go down....you may need your tin hat....:throw:

Reckon after today the table is spot on. We are relatively crap, for the PL. But we're one of 6 teams who are more or less equally crap. The bottom 3 is likely to come from this lot, of whom Norwich are close to being nailed on. Above us are 5 slightly less crap teams, with a gap beginning to open between them and the bottom 6. But they're still pretty crap.

After today, our job is that bit harder, but we're not down yet. If we'd drawn it would have been just a bit easier, mainly due to leaving Bournemouth further in it. A win would have been massive but it didn't happen. We go again.

For what it's worth, in spite of their efforts I don't think Bournemouth are any better than us, and they'll still struggle just as much. Possibly more.