AFC Bournemouth v Aston Villa (Saturday 1 February 2020): Match Thread | Page 39 | Vital Football

AFC Bournemouth v Aston Villa (Saturday 1 February 2020): Match Thread

Best chance of any result..apart from the unexpected point in the bagging area like the one at manu..... has to be against the likes of...gulp....west ham saints...palace ...Sheff u.(!).......and er.....Newcastle?
Well, we are playing a lot of teams that will be safe in mid table but competing in FA cup/Europa as well. Arsenal at home will be easier than it looks on paper for example. Everton away. Theres a few there we could nick points from.

Just a guess....it's VAR after all. But it happened after Engels had headed the ball not before. So they ignored it?

But if a striker shot then a second later he was wiped out by a defender they'd give a penalty. Shouldn't it be the same for a keeper.

But if a striker shot then a second later he was wiped out by a defender they'd give a penalty. Shouldn't it be the same for a keeper.
Same thing happened in the game last night. Sterling's penalty was saved, rebounded back into play, he overplays the ball and it is running out of play BEFORE being taken out by Lloris. No penalty given. Engels played the ball before the foul. No penalty unfortunately.

Just a guess....it's VAR after all. But it happened after Engels had headed the ball not before. So they ignored it?

And yet an outfield player can get the ball in a tackle and collide the opponent in the follow through and be pulled up and booked.
If a goalkeeper or defender does something in the penalty area that would be punished in the outfield, it should be punished in the area.
There is definitely a bias towards those clubs that are considered top clubs, not only against Villa but against any club not in the European places.
It's always been the way with referee's and it is the same with VAR, example; the penalty Villa should have had against Arsenal. The Arsenal player was measured at 8 metres away and lent into the ball with his arm.
Last night Man City were awarded a penalty against Spurs but, from the replay the Spurs defender got the ball and Aguerro went over from the wind.

Last edited by a moderator:
Samatta will score goals in the prem.
The goal he got shows that, his anticipation and quick reactions were amazing.
The more he plays and gets match fit the better he will perform.
By the end of Feb I expect him to be on top form.
He made a brilliant turn with the ball, although being offside, at one point too. Very impressive in that game actually.

He made a brilliant turn with the ball, although being offside, at one point too. Very impressive in that game actually.
Yup, that's precisely the kind of move I thought he could make after having watched him for an hour against Leicester.

I am just thankful we don't play for a few weeks, we have to get a result out of Spurs because losing the last game still irritates me. I just want us to dig in, get a clean sheet and hold out for a 0-0 draw or 1-0 win.

We desperately need McGinn back now more than ever - Leicester March 9 has to be the target for him.

I am just thankful we don't play for a few weeks, we have to get a result out of Spurs because losing the last game still irritates me. I just want us to dig in, get a clean sheet and hold out for a 0-0 draw or 1-0 win.

We desperately need McGinn back now more than ever - Leicester March 9 has to be the target for him.

Yep,sometimes being a Villan just does your head in doesn’t it CDX.....really thought we’d get something out of the game on Saturday....thought we’d turned a corner......only to be left deflated and shaking the old head......again!

Yep,sometimes being a Villan just does your head in doesn’t it CDX.....really thought we’d get something out of the game on Saturday....thought we’d turned a corner......only to be left deflated and shaking the old head......again!

I think that's the way it's going to be for the rest of the season , plenty of twists and turns to come.

I had better get some blood pressure tablets.

14 games to go including a cup final. What's that, 1260 minutes of football? After which we could be a mid table premier league side in europe, or a championship side with the new record for heaviest loss in a final.

Get those heart pills at the ready...

I think that's the way it's going to be for the rest of the season , plenty of twists and turns to come.

I had better get some blood pressure tablets.

I think Sirdennis is right we're very much going to be Jackal & Hyde for the remainder of the year.

I just hope they're getting Drinkwater into some games behind closed doors so he can finish a game and get his sharpness back. Get him to at least be decent cover in beside Nakamba until we can get McGinn back. I am very much pessimistic until McGinn comes back and I can only hope he has a similar impact to Grealish last season. I am pinning all my hopes on this.

Over January we played 7 games, one more than Bournemouth. Two of those were against Leicester, testing indeed. In fact from 25 December we played 10 matches in 5 weeks. Think we were knackered.

Says who? Our VP record is pretty good. People writing us off against the likes of Manure and Arsenal at home already. What's the point of being in this league when some fans have already decided we're down
Have you noticed our record against those two at VP? Last time we won was1996 and 1998 respectively.

Have you noticed our record against those two at VP? Last time we won was1996 and 1998 respectively.
When was previous time we won away at Burnley? Also while we've been out those 2 teams have got progressively shitter although I do think Arteta will turn Arsenal around

Bournemouth was the match we had to show something. The coaches, each and every player knew how important it was, a cup final. And coming after a confidence boosting win yet we still couldn’t perform. Either the coaching is crap or the players aren’t up to the battle. Or worse still, both.