AFC Bournemouth v Aston Villa (Saturday 1 February 2020): Match Thread | Vital Football

AFC Bournemouth v Aston Villa (Saturday 1 February 2020): Match Thread

Following on from one of the biggest games of the season comes arguably, the biggest game of the season so far (albeit I imagine that could be said plentiful over the next 3 months).

Discuss Villans.

As an additional note, there's some prospective travel disruption on both the road and trains down to the south coast, so if you're one of the lucky 1200, make sure you're aware!

Yup, important game - we really, really need to not lose this game.

I'd love a win (and a clean sheet!!) but we must not lose this game ...

Can't wait to see Samatta for, hopefully, 90 minutes.

Let's hope Trez, finally, gets the nod ahead of Ghazi too - maybe an hour+ each for Samatta/Trez with Davis/Ghazi coming on for the remainder.

History has taught us that a common issue that clubs have when they reach a cup final is the distraction and subsequent poor results. I hope that the players regain their focus and are ready for the upcoming premier league games. I have a relatively good feeling that Dean Smith will have emphasized to them that wembley must be the furthest thing from their minds in the coming weeks, and that doing well in these upcoming matches is paramount. Man City aside, we have been playing much better in the past few weeks and I'll expect a draw while hoping we can get a win. Samatta with a premier-league debut goal will do for me....

History has taught us that a common issue that clubs have when they reach a cup final is the distraction and subsequent poor results. I hope that the players regain their focus and are ready for the upcoming premier league games. I have a relatively good feeling that Dean Smith will have emphasized to them that wembley must be the furthest thing from their minds in the coming weeks, and that doing well in these upcoming matches is paramount. Man City aside, we have been playing much better in the past few weeks and I'll expect a draw while hoping we can get a win. Samatta with a premier-league debut goal will do for me....

I'm clinging to the hope it will give us a confidence boost, just like when Sherwood saved us after we looked doomed and reached the cup final.

We had a good result last night, a massive boost to everybody. I think we'll carry that through to this game. Still think we can lose it, football's like that. But Bournemouth aren't very good and I'm not sure they've sealed the cracks. It'll be tense but I'm backing us to come through.

We had a good result last night, a massive boost to everybody. I think we'll carry that through to this game. Still think we can lose it, football's like that. But Bournemouth aren't very good and I'm not sure they've sealed the cracks. It'll be tense but I'm backing us to come through.

On paper we should win but football's not played on paper. Bournemouth home loss still most annoying for me all season that was uphill battle after Heaton howler from the kick off

This is massive, but it could’ve been bigger had that Konsa strike not deflected in.

I said we needed 5-6 points from this batch of three games and were at 4, so we do have a bit of freedom to go out without as much pressure, albeit still high.

I’m quietly optimistic, but as Jack is having even more of a influence and running the show he’ll get doubled and tripled up on.

The players around him need to step up. If El Ghazi is left alone on the right hand side or Freddy, they need to take chances and get forward as they could be an outlet and should be more of an outlet.

The big lads up top for Bournemouth are a watch out for me, behind them are some good footballers.

I think I predicted a draw in this but there’s no reason why if we restrict them to one goal, we can’t go on and win.

Last edited:
This is a must not lose game at the very least but it's one where a win would change our whole season.
We are all Buzzing, so will the players be. We have to harness that buzz and make it work for us.
Confidence is 90% of football and with that bit of luck going our way at the moment who knows what we can do