Adverts | Vital Football

Adverts

Lark

Vital Football Hero
My usual content blocker doesn’t seem to work on this site any more, using an iPhone, there’s loads of ads making it difficult use the forum. Does anyone recommend one that works here? Thanks

Admin asked us to lay off ad blockers or something like that because it's the lifeblood of Vital in theses difficult times

My usual content blocker doesn’t seem to work on this site any more, using an iPhone, there’s loads of ads making it difficult use the forum. Does anyone recommend one that works here? Thanks
Or maybe just dont use ad blockers. Using them is ultimately as bad as bunking a train or shop lifting IMO. you wouldnt use someones services without paying for them. Its no different with these sites imo. They have to pay money to fund the servers and developers that keep this site running...who do you expect to pay for that if everyone blocks all ads?

Just have the ads up, you dont have to buy anything. They arent that bad.

Don't use one, have no issues whatsoever with using the site

What Ads ?
Been using the internet since '98 and using my brain filter, have conditioned myself to completely ignore them, unless of course they're pop-ups, it which case they get X'd off.

Surprised at the responses so far, I remember a similar previous thread where people suggested trying various different adblockers when someone else was having trouble with the ads.
There’s currently a Bet 365 ad that covers the screen when I first navigate to the Gills Vital homepage, and the other ads that pop up when you try and post a comment that have to be closed to avoid clicking on them.

And AK I disagree wholeheartedly with your comments, (can tell you work in IT and focused on the horseshit that was the “Millennium Bug”).
I pay my ISP and mobile phone provider to use the Internet, I’m not stealing, the ads will still be on the site for the casual browser, I just wouldn’t be able to see them if the blockers worked properly.
I think you may have been one who advised using a VPN to access all the Gills matches on iFollow live coverage as if you were living abroad, that may be closer to a form of theft as it’s not intended for the UK market to have that service.

Surprised at the responses so far, I remember a similar previous thread where people suggested trying various different adblockers when someone else was having trouble with the ads.
There’s currently a Bet 365 ad that covers the screen when I first navigate to the Gills Vital homepage, and the other ads that pop up when you try and post a comment that have to be closed to avoid clicking on them.

And AK I disagree wholeheartedly with your comments, (can tell you work in IT and focused on the horseshit that was the “Millennium Bug”).
I pay my ISP and mobile phone provider to use the Internet, I’m not stealing, the ads will still be on the site for the casual browser, I just wouldn’t be able to see them if the blockers worked properly.
I think you may have been one who advised using a VPN to access all the Gills matches on iFollow live coverage as if you were living abroad, that may be closer to a form of theft as it’s not intended for the UK market to have that service.

Where is your evidence that all of the millenium bug was horseshit?

ChrisWho has informed me he’s been unable to post on this thread a suggestion for an adblocker so it’s obviously become a taboo subject for this forum, I was unaware it was such a delicate subject.
My Ads are still on, I will quit moaning, just think being called a thief is a bit strong!

Paying your ISP and phone network have nothing to do with this site. You pay them to transfer the data to your device. Vital needs to pay for the site to be hosted somewhere.

Vital has costs to provide this service, which we all clearly like, so the right thing to do is to allow the ads. The ads may be there for the casual user but you are using a much larger proportion of the bandwidth than them. Why should you expect them to cover your costs?

I think you have missed the point. Admin has asked that we don't use ad blockers for the time being because of revenues earned and use of ad blockers could wipe out the very source of revenue that keeps the site up and running during the Coronavirus hit.

I object far more to the general brand advertising of the Johnsons and the Redknapps, practically unavoidable.

His old man (saw him at a WWF lecture) brother and sister don't seem too bad (in comparison to some), it's just him. Harry, lovable rouge, more like thieving bastard.

ChrisWho has informed me he’s been unable to post on this thread a suggestion for an adblocker so it’s obviously become a taboo subject for this forum, I was unaware it was such a delicate subject.
My Ads are still on, I will quit moaning, just think being called a thief is a bit strong!

No one is blocked from posting in this thread. That isn't the way I go about the Vital business.

I honestly don't do that, ie ban someone from a particular thread. I will delete the 2nd thread on this subject that has been started though, one is enough. And I bet there isn't another network or forum in the world that wouldn't just delete both!

Great to publicise the use of the thing that will send us bust.

It is a trade off, free service, service puts up adverts. Not just Vital. We are about to go into a recession, we also have bills to pay, and the industry is without a product at the moment.

Not the best of help this thread,

Do you work for free Lark? Not being nasty, sarcastic or having a pop, but the adverts are the trade off for any site, not just vital. Block that, you cost the service. You can't go on transport for free, or go into a supermarket and just have what you want. But people think they can on the internet.

If you use them, we can't do anything about it (well, we can but we choose to be decent and not) but doing a thread on them is the ultimate piss take really.

The one advert does cover the screen, it is one per 24 hours, it helps pay for our servers and pay our way.

Fair trade off in my opinion, if yours is different, then at the very least, don't bite the hand that feeds and do threads on the very site you want to cost!

Hope you are all in good health during these hard times. That is the most important thing.

I think you have missed the point. Admin has asked that we don't use ad blockers for the time being because of revenues earned and use of ad blockers could wipe out the very source of revenue that keeps the site up and running during the Coronavirus hit.

Well I obviously missed that post, tend not to read most of the non Gills posts on here, it all gets too political for my liking.

As I’ve said there was a long thread last year about Ad-blocking recommendations due to the difficulties of using the forum with all the ads enabled, I guess the tide has turned and I’m not up to speed on the current way of thinking.

Yes I understand the point, there’s a few other sites I use that actually don’t allow you on unless you allow the ads to appear, they block your IP Address I think and have software that detects whether you are using an ad-blocker.

I thought these forums were generally run on a voluntary basis, I’m certain the one I came from (Gills 365) was not for profit, but I guess with Vital being a large network of several sites it’s a bit different?

As to the censorship point, just going by what I was told via PM, perhaps a mod was deleting certain posts that may have promoted ways to circumvent the ads?
Anyway as I said before I’m living with it now, (ads ON), I’m not the most computer savvy person, compared to you guys that run the site, I was just looking for a better streamlined experience, but as you say it’s not really very important in the grand scheme of things!
Edit: Ah just seen the comments from “The Fear” (I’m scared 😉) about how unhelpful and much of a pisstake it was to start this thread. Don’t agree of course, I was just asking for help on a topic as many do on here about all manner of things, mostly non- football related!
But if it’s really your livelihood that you are concerned about, then I can see why you’d be upset; delete the whole thread if you want, I won’t mention the unmentionable subject ever again! (But anything else is fair game).

Last edited:
The biggest pain for me is the banner advert at the very bottom of the page. If I try to respond on my mobile it just blocks the screen where I would type so I can't see what I am writing. I have to write, close down my keyboard and then read back what I have wrote and try to correct any autocorrelation that has happened. It used to be the case that there would be a small x that would enable you to close it down enabling you to see what you were writing when you had the keyboard open. In the past few weeks that option has been taken away so I am currently writing this message completely blind.

I don't use an adblocker but if the ads make a site unusable to the point people can only use the site with an adblocker then the owner needs to look at the design in terms of the numbers and locations of the ads.

Vital has costs to provide this service, which we all clearly like, so the right thing to do is to allow the ads. The ads may be there for the casual user but you are using a much larger proportion of the bandwidth than them. Why should you expect them to cover your costs?
I am not expecting anyone to cover my costs, but with the current advertising led model, I am bringing more revenue to the site than the average casual user, who is probably not a member, and only browses onto here once or twice a week and never posts at all.
Posts generate views and then hits etc.

I guess an alternative could be a paid for subscription service, ad free if you pay a monthly or annual fee, or to those who don’t mind the ads keep the forum free for them, with pop ups and banners galore?
Probably not viable due to the low take up of paid subscriptions when there are free alternatives, but I think some other forum platforms offer something like this.