Advertising games and crowd? | Vital Football

Advertising games and crowd?

Cookiejar

Vital Reserves Team
Now this doesn't really apply to me as I have a S/t but I remember well before the Sunderland game the official site promoting the game and number of tickets sold a lot, lot harder than they are promoting the game against Peterborough tomorrow. At one point they were telling us how many tickets we had sold.

Now I know its a different scenario, big club, big away following etc etc. they know but why don't they try this for every game. I think people are more likely to go if know there are more going, a better atmosphere.

Would we of got such a good gate without the official site and twitter doing its bit??? Probably not so why don't the club put that much effort in week in week out, its free on twitter and can be retweeted by the likes of us. Even 500 more a game would be a good start.

Totally agree. We have had similar threads about this - marketing at the club is a bloody joke. Every pre-season we have the S/T bullshit hype but then it goes quiet. It really makes me wonder if Scally is too bothered about how many bums on seats we get. Already this season we have seen our hardcore support to be around the 4k mark, the Sunderland game excepted which attracted a few more floating fans. If there is no significant improvement on the pitch in terms of results, and marketing off the pitch we will sadly be heading back to where we were in the early 1990s. As a long standing supporter I still see many of the old fans who no longer go to games because they are disillusioned with the clear lack of ambition, investment, and the incessant bull about a new stadium. Not sure if they will ever return and many youngsters have no desire to start following the club. Very sad considering the potential we once had.

You’re right that it is a different scenario but we should also note that Peterborough are second in the table, have scored the most goals and the game is on a Saturday.

Perhaps the club evaluated the difference the marketing campaign made against Sunderland and decided not to bother. I think it’s perhaps more likely though that they just won’t go to too much effort for games against similar sized clubs (sadly).

As you say social media campaigns are effectively free. Why not offer ten pairs of free tickets to whoever can get the most likes, shares or retweets. At least that would remind some of our casual fans’ friends that we exist.

PR and marketing are my business. The club are really poor at it most of the time. I'm sure it's down to a lack of bodies and experience rather than a lack of desire, but squeezing your marketing budget is always a false economy.

Agree with all the above, particularly you're idea Nibbles.

As an example of how poor things are, I went on the official website earlier in the week, went to the on line buying guide page for tickets for the Posh game. When I clicked on the 1st page, they were still advertising tickets for the Wimbledon and Rochdale games, no mention of the Posh game. So amateurish, puts our club to shame some times. I go to all games, but if I were a floating supporter, what impression does that give!!

We also need to make it easier for POTD and not penalize people.

I don't have a ticket for today. Partly because I was so disillusioned after the AFCW game and partly because I thought I had other commitments that would stop me (if a trip to Alton Towers is considered a commitment :-) )

As it happens I could go now and if it were easy I probably would. I don't fancy the risk queueing for 30 mins, missing the first part of the game and paying extra for the privilege. Bottom line I'll stay at home and listen on the Radio.

We really do need a cash turnstile for last minute decision makers. We do have space for unreserved seating areas for cash purchases.

In terms of the on line ticket system I agree with the comments above but actually once you are logged on it is simplicity itself I used for all home games.

Yes Mark, turnstile for cash last minute admittance would be an ideal scenario. My brother in law works Saturday mornings, and would often ring me back in the day to say he was coming to the game, as he'd managed to finish early. These days he does often finish early, but doesn't come to the game for exactly the reasons you state: Predominantly, paying extra on the day and not enough staff on.

So consequently, another valuable Gills fan lost.

Yes Mark, turnstile for cash last minute admittance would be an ideal scenario.

Mentioned this to the dear leader himself at one of the meetings. I'll look into he said. I guess he didn't.

Not to worry though it will be a sell out today and we are so flush with cash we can afford to put people off going ;-)