Administration / WASC | Vital Football

Administration / WASC

Wlatic

Vital Squad Member
In order to get to the bottom of what went on between the Administration and WASC I posed questions to WASC, which were then forwarded onto their legal team. I felt it was a good thing to allow WASC to provide a response to the legal documents filed in companies house.

In the interest of openness and honesty the answers (and questions) are below, with a single note from myself to highlight an inconsistency:

=============================
Dear James

The context I hoped to hear from you is to explain in what capacity you feel you are asking these questions and are entitled to have the situation explained to you.

I have asked you repeatedly to put relevant questions to which you still feel you need answers to me, and again (as you have done every few months) you have just copied and pasted the email below.

Your vague references to ‘proceeding’, ‘taking a different path’ and ‘moving forward with [your] own legal position’ and ‘filing reports with the relevant authorities’ have, I must admit, left me perplexed.

If this relates to the privacy issue you appear to have with the administrators, I do not understand why you think this is a matter for the supporters club.

If there is some other objective you are pursuing, please be clear and state what it is.

I will try below to answer those of your questions as best I can, and I hope this draws a line under this correspondence.

1. The administrators have stated to the ICO that WASC and certain individuals within WASC were acting on behalf of the administration, in the act of discharging their statutory responsibilities (This is the reason they gave for sharing my information) is this factual and were legal agreements in place?

Neither WASC or any of its board members have at any time acted ‘on behalf of the administrators’. The only ‘legal agreement’ in place between the administrators and WASC or its board members was a non-disclosure agreement.

2. The administrators have also stated that in addition to acting on behalf of the administration WASC is covered by Wigan Athletic's privacy policy. Do you have legal agreements in place in regards to information sharing (Data Protection / GDPR / Privacy Agreements) with either the administration or Wigan Athletic?

There are no such agreements, and any privacy policy is a matter for the club and/or the administrators.

3. During call, in which you reached out to me, you stated the administration had contacted you in order for you to help stop the request for a public meeting from taking place. The reasons given was that they'd stop all work until the meeting was completed and as they had a bid which was close to completion this would result in its failure. Is this to your recollection? If not, what is your recollection in regards to the reason for the call and how it was prompted?

My understanding here is that the administrators had spoken to the WASC’s representative saying that a supporter had asked the administrator to call a creditor’s meeting. The largest creditor by far in the administration, who would have been entitled to exercise sufficient votes to pass the resolution approving the administrator’s report, had already indicated that they would vote in favour of the resolution which would be put to the meeting, if called. WASC took advice on this (from us) to confirm that this effectively would mean that a meeting would be a waste of time as far as the administration process was concerned. This view was then shared with you.

4. Begbies Traynor stated "Caroline asked me who the supporter / season ticket holder was and I discussed this with Caroline.". To confirm the administration made you aware a creditor was asking for a public meeting, which is a statutory right, and when you asked for their personal details this was provided to you?

The administrators had told WASC that a supporter had asked the administrator to call a creditor’s meeting. It was not for WASC to determine whether the supporter had standing as a creditor to request such a meeting. Given contact you had had with WASC on other matters, it was not difficult to guess that you were the supporter in question. Caroline already had your email address from previous correspondence.

**Note on this** I have email correspondence from Caroline which states they gave personally identifiable email and I'm unsure why the solicitors would have now changed their mind on this.

5. During the call you told me you would scheduled a meeting for the group of creditors I represented with the administration so they could address the concerns which we were hoping to raise during the public meeting, begbies offered the following:
"Subject to what is on the agenda, I have agreed to have a call with you as a potential creditor in the Administration. We have a duty to the creditors of each company and we have complied with our duties in relation to providing information to creditors. I do not have a duty to hold individual meetings with creditors to discuss the matter in general. As you are aware, there has been a report issued to creditors which is available to review at Companies House. I suggest that you read this and then should you have any further questions please advise." is that in line with what you believe I agreed to via the phone call?

WASC cannot be expected to comment on what was said between you and the administrators. It was not for Caroline to offer a meeting with the administrators or to set the agenda for that meeting. I understand that she put you in touch with the administrator so that you could arrange to speak with them.

6. During numerous bidders WASC positioned themselves as a voice of the fans, yet at no point considered including a public communication policy as part of those discussions, this continued even after our call. Is there a reason WASC decided it was more important to be part of discussions vs serving the fans they choose to represent?

This is an insinuation, not a question. The committee of WASC, on an entirely voluntary basis, committed a huge amount of time and effort at the time to try to ensure the continuation of the club. They provided updates as and when they could through appropriate channels.

7. WASC started to take forward forming a trust which included Open and Honest communication, from my dealing with WASC (emails ignored about questions, emails ignored about further investment from myself and other business, SLO providing conflicting/contracting information, WASC providing information which conflicts with legal documents provided by the administration) it does not appear this was enacted as a policy change within WASC itself in preparation for a future trust. What is the reason for this?

I can’t determine what the question is here. As above, WASC provided updates as and when they could through appropriate channels. In order to be in a position to engage and contribute positively throughout, members of the WASC board had entered into a non-disclosure agreement with the administrators. This meant that it was not always possible to share information to which they became privy. Again, the WASC representatives were a group of individuals giving their time and effort for the benefit of the club and its supporters, all while working their own jobs, and dealing with the same difficulties caused by the pandemic as the rest of the world. Communications were made to supporters through appropriate channels such as press releases and via the WASC website precisely so that all supporters received the same information.

You appear to be complaining that WASC did not provide responses or information directly to you when you requested it – respectfully, that was not their job.

Last edited:
8. If the "soft loan" was never formalized what enquiries were made by WASC to confirm the basis of the money being held within Wigan Athletic Bank accounts after the January 18th Administration Report and how was money that was sat in a bank account used to save the club?

Gifting money to a legally bound administration and then receiving it back without a contract has a huge risk in regards to the legal responsibility of an administration, was any legal advice given to you about this and can that be made public (if any)?

From my understanding based on the interview the administration gave you always believed the money from the 1st crowdfunder was soft-loaned to the Club/Administration. The terms of the 1st crowderfunder was to donate the money. Do you believe the soft loan basis merited the money being donated and why?

The crowdfunder contained the term "should anything be left over", on the basis that the money was soft loaned and left untouched within the bank account of the club do you believe this money was "left over" or simply a loan was repaid and why?

I am taking these questions together as they all appear to be asking broadly the same thing.

The first crowdfunder campaign was set up in what was perceived to be an emergency situation. It was mobilised very quickly due to the efforts of those involved, and was established without reference to, or the knowledge of, the administrators. The objective of the people who worked to set this up was to raise money to help the club. The campaign raised approximately £100,000 in its first weekend, which the administrators sought to have transferred to the club as a lump sum. In order to maintain some oversight of the use of these funds, WASC instead offered to help with specific items of expenditure in order to help the club survive and keep playing. Items of expenditure (e.g. coach travel for players) were met by the campaign funds. It was not anticipated at this stage that any of these funds would be returned.

That these funds could be treated as a ‘soft loan’ was volunteered by the administrator. The reason the administrators appear to have come to this view was that a bid for the club was under consideration. WASC had been involved in discussions with that potential bidder, and it was mooted that as part of this bid, the supporters’ funds may be used, with the proposed supporters’ trust intended to be part of the ownership to represent the supporters. Against this background, the administrators confirmed that the funds would be ‘returned’ on the sale of the club – i.e. to ‘fund’ part of the purchase price for the club, so the money would in fact have gone back to the administration. As it transpired, this bid did not proceed

On the ultimate sale of the club, although WASC or any other supporters’ group were not part of the successful bid, the administrator did return the balance of funds which had been provided by the supporters to WASC. I say the ‘balance’ as individual items of expenditure (coaches, hotels etc.) had been met from these funds.

9. The interviews you have given about using the funds sound very much like it was always your intention of the money being provided to the Community Trust and their causes. What planning was made to fulfil the first two options that were projects within the Club or Stadium improvements? Where there any roadblocks which stopped the first two options and made the last option the only way to go?

From the first meeting with the representatives of the new owners, it was made clear that the owners did not want to take the supporters’ money into the club. Their feeling was that the money should go towards good causes that promote the club and the community that it serves, and not be put towards funding of the club itself.

10. There is confusion around the Crowdfunder.co.uk campaign and WASC being provided with information about people who donated. I've been in contact with Crowdfunder.co.uk and they've confirmed that as per their FAQ ( https://www.crowdfunder.co.uk/guides/faq/supporter section 5) project owners have access to the donators details no matter if they donated anonymously or not. They also have provisioned within their privacy policy which state they share any donators details with a project owner. Is there a reason WASC were unable to access information in a project they setup (The crowdfunder was setup under "Project by Wigan Athletic Supporters Club", but the profile links to "jason-taylor-12")? Was Jason acting on behalf of WASC or his SLO role or JPSE media?

It is my understanding that WASC were not able to download email addresses for people who had opted out.

WASC is an unincorporated association and does not have a separate legal personality. Jason was a committee member and media manager of WASC. As above, the site was mobilised very rapidly. There is nothing untoward in the campaign being set up by Jason on behalf of WASC.

11. Why have you decided to reach out now to address concerns?

Have you reached out on the basis I forwarded an email to Mal, to show the very poor job a very much conflicted SLO (see above) was doing (deciding to dismiss concerns and not engage anyone else in the club to help me get answers and avoid going down a path I, nor anyone else would want to go)?

There have been numerous posts on social media forums which have been aimed the supporter’s club and at members of its board. These comments have usually (but not always) stopped short of being actually defamatory, although they are often suggestive of wrongdoing. You should be aware, if you are not already, that the rumour, speculation and innuendo have had direct personal consequences for individuals involved in the supporters’ club, including being the subject of physical assault.

It was as a result of these comments and their consequences that Caroline engaged with you. She had no idea until you mentioned it here, of the contact between you and Mal.

Incidentally, I am also aware of comments made by you in correspondence which, if repeated elsewhere, would certainly be regarded as defamatory.

Whether you are involved in these discussion forums or not, I would urge you and others to be very careful in your use of language.

12. There was very very little promotion given for the poll in which you collected feedback from the fans of how to distribute the 1st crowdfunder money. Some have expressed concerns that % of the vote was given out, but no mention of the amount of people that voted, the amount of votes for other usage and they would like to see the stats. Is there a reason they cannot see the stats for votes (as long as no personally identifiable information is exchanged) and a reason why so little promotion was given to the survey? This really goes back to the Open and Honest question above.

The survey was promoted via the WASC website, Twitter and Facebook. The stats you refer to have been published. A second survey was undertaken and there were even fewer responses.

13. As WASC acts as a Club/None Profit organisation and you have recently just before, during or just after the large donation of funds taken up a role with the Community Trust what safeguards were put in place to ensure there were no conflicts of interest and were documents filed on either side?

I am not sure what documents you expect to see filed or where, or indeed where you think any conflict of interest arises. Caroline has an entirely voluntary role on the committee of WASC. She has also joined the board of the Community Trust, another entirely voluntary role. As far as I am aware, the objects of these two organisations do not conflict. If anything, Caroline’s presence on the board of the Community Trust would, I think, provide some reassurance to the supporters that the funds donated will be put to appropriate use for the benefit of the community served by Wigan Athletic.

Follow up questions:
8. To confirm on this point is it your view that the administrators were incorrect in their shareholder declarations, when they have stated the money being placed into a bank account and not used? I've attached a picture confirming the legal documentation this is in reference to from the document Administrator Progress Report 18th Jan 2021 (available via: https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/00270043/filing-history ).

Neither we nor WASC are responsible for the contents of the administrator’s report. Neither do I have the time to dissect it. The limited extract above does not contradict the answer given below, and I note the timing of the report, which was after the point at which the administrators had volunteered that funds could be returned in the event of the sale being successful.

10. Unfortunately this seems to be very unclear as the service used for the Crowdfunder is able to provide donation details, especially as it is a regulatory requirement. Are you stating WASC had no involvement with the Crowdfunder campaign / website beyond receiving the proceeds ?

No.

12. To confirm no further stats in regards to the surveys will be released?

As far as I know, they have been.

13. I'm confused by the answer to this question, are you saying safeguards were put in place but not documented, or no safeguards existed because in your clients opinion they didn't need to exist?

I have nothing to add to my response below.

Completely understand some of you will feel its a waste of time continuing to try and get information in regards to what happened, however this type of information is helping with the complaint that is going through the IVA service and Begbies.

Interesting read this Wlatic.

For clarification, I presume the initial (non bold) letter is the WASC legal reps to you (being James), and then but thereafter, the non bold element are the questions you posed, and the legal team's responses are in bold.

Not finished reading yet, but will comment later if that's OK.

Interesting read this Wlatic.

For clarification, I presume the initial (non bold) letter is the WASC legal reps to you (being James), and then but thereafter, the non bold element are the questions you posed, and the legal team's responses are in bold.

Not finished reading yet, but will comment later if that's OK.

Asking someone who is fully free speech supportive if you can comment!!

Bold is their response at all times, normal is my question, there is one italic note which highlights a change to what I was previous told directly.

Reet ... having read through those responses to the questions you posed Wlatic, I can only presume you're a little disappointed with the lack of traction.

Sadly, I think - as we discussed on here - that's partly due to the (and I don't mean this in an insulting way) the apparent scattergun nature of your questions, together with the (reportedly baseless) assumption that WASC were somehow working for or on behalf of the Admins.

I thought that the responses given to your questions were generally reasonable and logical (to paraphrase the Mandy Rice-Davies line? ... well, I suppose I would say that, wouldn't I !) but I think they skipped over the one where you refer to the setup of the Trust. It would have been interesting to hear why that hasn't gone forward ... though I presume the answer's summat to do with there no longer being an urgent need.

The thing I'm puzzled at is the lack of anything in regard to your allegations that (I think) WASC had breeched ICO rules ....... or something to that effect. None of that appears to have been included in the Q&A above.

Any road, does this mean that your crusade (again, not meant insultingly, or in a piss taking way ... I just couldn't think of a better word) is over, or are there still actions you intend to take?

On a slightly pedantic point ....

Bold is their response at all times, normal is my question,.......

...... this isn't quite correct, as like I said in my first note, the initial non-bold section is also their legal team, not you. I know this is picky, but it's key to know that the switch occurs ... even though this seems logical.

Reet ... having read through those responses to the questions you posed Wlatic, I can only presume you're a little disappointed with the lack of traction.

Sadly, I think - as we discussed on here - that's partly due to the (and I don't mean this in an insulting way) the apparent scattergun nature of your questions, together with the (reportedly baseless) assumption that WASC were somehow working for or on behalf of the Admins.

I thought that the responses given to your questions were generally reasonable and logical (to paraphrase the Mandy Rice-Davies line? ... well, I suppose I would say that, wouldn't I !) but I think they skipped over the one where you refer to the setup of the Trust. It would have been interesting to hear why that hasn't gone forward ... though I presume the answer's summat to do with there no longer being an urgent need.

The thing I'm puzzled at is the lack of anything in regard to your allegations that (I think) WASC had breeched ICO rules ....... or something to that effect. None of that appears to have been included in the Q&A above.

Any road, does this mean that your crusade (again, not meant insultingly, or in a piss taking way ... I just couldn't think of a better word) is over, or are there still actions you intend to take?

On a slightly pedantic point ....

...... this isn't quite correct, as like I said in my first note, the initial non-bold section is also their legal team, not you. I know this is picky, but it's key to know that the switch occurs ... even though this seems logical.

It's not an assumption WASC were working with the admin, I got told by Caroline the admins asked her to call me and provided my details to them. The administrators submitted to the ICO that this was the case and the ICO confirmed they had not correctly setup data sharing agreements and the privacy policy of WASC nor Wigan Athletic covered them. They got their hands slapped for this (admins), but the ICO stopped short of a fine. Paraphrashing but: "We did not have any legal agreements in place but we did have an NDA and did discuss creditors actions with the admin and other stuff" clear as mud. I'd love to have them both in a room, under oath, but it's unlikely to happen.

The whole crowdfunder and WASC structure looks like a right mess and rife for people getting back their money from credit card companies pretty easily (if they paid that way).

Correct on the initial email. I never filed a ico complaint against wasc as they already had my details and as far as I can tell didn't supply the admin with anything. Still dealing with the Insolvency service and icaew in regards to the admin. I know there are others dealing with getting their money back from the first crowdfunding from a legal stand point, how that'd be done, based on the (lack of) a legal structure and generally accountability provided from the legal team I've no idea. If any of this info helps someone get money back or scratches an itch (no matter how small its worth it).

Have now bolded out the initial reply.

Last edited:
It's not an assumption WASC were working with the admin, .

It's little things like this that are important Wlatic. I said "working for or on behalf of", whilst you said "with". The two things are different ... massively so.

Good luck with the o/s actions.

It's little things like this that are important Wlatic. I said "working for or on behalf of", whilst you said "with". The two things are different ... massively so.

Good luck with the o/s actions.

When WASC had ignored my emails and then strangely found them on being asked by the administrators to call me.... They have stated in legal documents that WASC was being used as an aid to dispose of their legal duty, both to the ICO and within companies house documents. The WASC solicitors have said the legal status of WASC doesn't represent "a legal personality", so I'm unsure how both could be legally correct, as they appear to be at odds, and not for the first time.

When WASC had ignored my emails and then strangely found them on being asked by the administrators to call me.... They have stated in legal documents that WASC was being used as an aid to dispose of their legal duty, both to the ICO and within companies house documents. The WASC solicitors have said the legal status of WASC doesn't represent "a legal personality", so I'm unsure how both could be legally correct, as they appear to be at odds, and not for the first time.

I suppose what the Admins say about WASC compared to what WASC say about themselves are two completely different viewpoints.

I suppose what the Admins say about WASC compared to what WASC say about themselves are two completely different viewpoints.
Viewpoints correct, but when legal items are incompatible generally getting to the bottom of them help reveal the truth. WASCs legal team replies could mean they have nothing to do with the admin or it could mean individuals, on the comittee, had contracts with the admin, because WASC could not. If I had to bet, based on what WASC said during the call and what the admin submitted to the ICO, id bet on some agreement existing, but knowing the admin it was fast and sloppy.

The positive of all of this is we got owners who appear to have solid foundations and not a mess holding us back.

Viewpoints correct, but when legal items are incompatible generally getting to the bottom of them help reveal the truth. WASCs legal team replies could mean they have nothing to do with the admin or it could mean individuals, on the comittee, had contracts with the admin, because WASC could not. If I had to bet, based on what WASC said during the call and what the admin submitted to the ICO, id bet on some agreement existing, but knowing the admin it was fast and sloppy.

The positive of all of this is we got owners who appear to have solid foundations and not a mess holding us back.

I suppose we've got to assume that the WASC position is the true one ..... the Admins can't force a position onto the WASC - legal or otherwise - that the WASC don't agree with.

Last sentence ... Amen brother. (y)

I think (WLatic) that you should just take a moment to try to put yourself in the position of WASC in the context of everything that was happening within the club at the time and which they had no control over whatsoever.
These are a group of volunteers which was set up to organise coach trips and limited fan engagement but who were suddenly faced with the admin and possible demise of the club, and who tied their best to help save the club.
With the benefit of hindsight some things could have been done differently, but hindsight is a wonderfull thing.

You do not speak for the vast majority of supporters in Your crusade (for that is what it appears to be) against WASC, and to me, and i suspect many others, you are disrespecting the people who volunteered a lot of their time to help the club in its time of need.

Your apparent insinuation that Caroline benefited personally by becoming a members of the Community Trust board is disgraceful.
The monies donated have and are going to good causes, supoorted by the club and for the benefit of supporters and the people of Wigan.
I am more than happy for my donations to be used in this way, in fact I feel they have been put to a better use now than previoulsy intended by helping others.

You are wasting the time (voluntary time) and money (legal representation) of WASC by continuing with this and this in itself goes against the interests of the club, supporteers and WASC, it appears that you are motivated by a sense of your own self importance and bloody mindedness. Time to move on.

I think (WLatic) that you should just take a moment to try to put yourself in the position of WASC in the context of everything that was happening within the club at the time and which they had no control over whatsoever.
These are a group of volunteers which was set up to organise coach trips and limited fan engagement but who were suddenly faced with the admin and possible demise of the club, and who tied their best to help save the club.
With the benefit of hindsight some things could have been done differently, but hindsight is a wonderfull thing.

You do not speak for the vast majority of supporters in Your crusade (for that is what it appears to be) against WASC, and to me, and i suspect many others, you are disrespecting the people who volunteered a lot of their time to help the club in its time of need.

Your apparent insinuation that Caroline benefited personally by becoming a members of the Community Trust board is disgraceful.
The monies donated have and are going to good causes, supoorted by the club and for the benefit of supporters and the people of Wigan.
I am more than happy for my donations to be used in this way, in fact I feel they have been put to a better use now than previoulsy intended by helping others.

You are wasting the time (voluntary time) and money (legal representation) of WASC by continuing with this and this in itself goes against the interests of the club, supporteers and WASC, it appears that you are motivated by a sense of your own self importance and bloody mindedness. Time to move on.
What a load of shite, to be expected from you to be fair.

Keep fighting the good fight Wlatic!

Does it not worry you Kenny that money donated by individual fans for a specific cause should then be donated elsewhere without sufficient consultation with the original donors. Furthermore the chair of the organisation re-donating the funds is then co opted onto the board of the recipient organisation.

It certainly bothers me.

If there is nothing to be seen then what is the problem with asking the questions. Surely transparency is at the heart of your political beliefs.

Furthermore the chair of the organisation re-donating the funds is then co opted onto the board of the recipient organisation.

Without wanting to go over stuff we've discussed many times previously TB, - and without trying to diminish your point in any way - it's worthwhile noting that both positions are voluntary, with no renumeration on offer.

Without wanting to go over stuff we've discussed many times previously TB, - and without trying to diminish your point in any way - it's worthwhile noting that both positions are voluntary, with no renumeration on offer.

I appreciate that mate, however it does not negate the fact that some people are a little suspicious of the fact that such a large amount of money was donated and was quickly followed by the appointment.

My response to Kenny was a reply to the fact that he was questioning the right of another poster to get to the facts that he considered necessary.

Whether you, I or Kenny are satisfied with the outcome Wlatic is obviously not and is, in my opinion, doing what many others fail to do if they are dissatisfied, by asking for clarification of what took place.

Some may call it a "crusade" but I prefer to see it as someone following what they see to be finding the truth, and in that he gets my full support.