adhd a new turn on events | Vital Football

adhd a new turn on events

badge73

Vital 1st Team Regular
More children - and adults - than ever are being diagnosed with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD).

Yet many of those may not have the behavioural disorder but could instead be suffering from sleep deprivation, says a leading U.S. doctor. He estimates more than a third of children and a quarter of adults diagnosed with ADHD actually have sleep problems.

Sleep deprivation, especially in children, does not - as might be expected - cause lethargy, but very similar problems to ADHD, including hyperactivity, an inability to focus, aggression and forgetfulness

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2343372/As-youngsters-prescribed-drugs-hyperactivity-experts-pose-provocative-question-Could-children-diagnosed-ADHD-just-need-better-sleep.html#ixzz2WYugLwPV

completely buy into this one, as now a days kids are kept up till god knows what time instead of being put to bed. they have no set routine so cannot get the set amount of hours for sleep which is so important for kids growing up, even in adults regular and the right amount of sleep is important for those with mental health issues as well as a set routine.

Tend to agree. Trouble is, with all these modern gadgets, a lot of children go to bed and are playing on computers, etc etc when they should in fact be asleep.

I feel adults sometimes don't have sufficient control of themselves either. Me?, I only need about 5-6 hours sleep, but if I'm tired,I switch off and hit the sack. No problems.

Working with kids, I see it quite a lot. Kids show up for classes and they are exhausted, can't concentrate and start acting up. A lot of kids in Malaysia get less than 8 hours sleep a night. I don't know what it's like in the UK these days but I'd imagine, like nutrition, there are big class divides.

Just as I thought then, ADHD is a load of bollocks.

A healthy diet and active lifestyle (like kids had pre-1990) would go a long way to solving the problem.

You'll always have naughty/hyperactive kids - they dont need a label, just a smack on the arse!

started reading it and lost attention!

Sort of agree Jimbo. If they'd been about in my day I'd have been called everything, I was a live wire, cheeky and had a) too much energy b) a short attention span (easily bored, I still am)

To me it is just how I am, not adhd, add etc.

As you say, if the parents cut down on the shite food, sugar, e-numbers, gave them proper nutrition and didn't fire them up with rubbish, SOME would settle.

That said, I wasn't fired up with rubbish, we ate well. But those put on drugs etc ... :22:

Good points above, i put my 18 month old and 28 month to be between 8/8:30pm every night we do get the odd occasion cos there teeth are cutting through when they are awake til 9/9:30 if they need some Calpol but every night its important to get them wash meal td changed and bottle fed similar times otherwise ive seen it affect there feeding and behavour the next day for sure

My grandad was the one in my family who kept all the 13 of us grandkids in line, you got the belt if you didn't play up or twice as hard if ya did, bloody belt was massive two leather ones industrialy stapled together to go round his stomach lol but it worked ;)

That's nothing Clive... My parents used to wake me up half an hour before I went to bed just to beat me in case I was naughty that day!

The Fear - 18/6/2013 17:45

As you say, if the parents cut down on the shite food, sugar, e-numbers, gave them proper nutrition and didn't fire them up with rubbish, SOME would settle.

That said, I wasn't fired up with rubbish, we ate well. But those put on drugs etc ... :22:

MOST would settle, you say you were not fired up with rubbish, are you saying you didn't have any ice lollies, pop, sweets?

If not fair enough, if you did, you were well fired up : )

Chemicals, chemicals and more chemicals.

Seldom had pop and only in small amounts, unlike what I see a lot of kids having these days.

Sweets were allowed, but rationed. Ice lollies, the same, not an endless supply.

But all supplemented with good, decent, non chemical ladened (partly to do with there weren't as many chemicals, they were just 'coming in' when I was growing up) shite that the pre-packaged things contain these days.

The Fear - 18/6/2013 20:20

That's nothing Clive... My parents used to wake me up half an hour before I went to bed just to beat me in case I was naughty that day!

You were lucky!
Our dad used to disembowel us twice a day and three times on Sundays.
Never did me a bit of harm.

You had Sundays? You were lucky! When I was a lad we used to hop over Sundays just so we could stay indoors down the pit to avoid the winter that lasted for 13 months each year and then we used to get beaten on the hour every hour just to keep us warm!

Villan Of The North - 1/7/2013 21:10

You had Sundays? You were lucky! When I was a lad we used to hop over Sundays just so we could stay indoors down the pit to avoid the winter that lasted for 13 months each year and then we used to get beaten on the hour every hour just to keep us warm!

Luxury.

Tourette's and ADHD have been genetically linked and often they both manifest in a person with either or both illnesses

kefkat - 2/7/2013 00:05

Tourette's and ADHD have been genetically linked and often they both manifest in a person with either or both illnesses

Like **** have they. Don't be a **** **** about it. You're ******* making it up! You ***!

See what I did there? lol

We have this conversation before and it stirred up a heated debate between Kat and me. My thoughts remain the same, that it is vastly being over diagnosed especially in schools and it is creating a Psychologically disturbing nature to develop in children. Tell a child long enough he is a dog and sooner or later he will act like a dog.

This by no means takes away that ADHD is not a illness but I think it is far rarer than what science has us believe. We went through 2 world wars and came as far as we did "without ADHD". Thus creating a, on the whole - decent society with more respect than we see today. If you disagree with that, then may I suggest you go and talk to your great grandparents, ask them if the kids today are better behaved than the kids in their day.

Yes its great that science has identified illnesses such as ADHD and Autism and im not saying these kids were not given the right treatment in the past. But it was still rare, maybe 1 -2 kids per every 40 - 50 had some behaviour problem. Yet now, in some schools its 10 kids in 30 that are being diagnosed with some form of behaviour disorder, whom are placed into special needs. In some cases the parents are even glad, as it helps towards getting "free money"..But what they fail to realise is that the future they are creating for Britain is not looking great!

- 21/6/2013 01:52

The Fear - 18/6/2013 17:45

MOST would settle, you say you were not fired up with rubbish, are you saying you didn't have any ice lollies, pop, sweets?

If not fair enough, if you did, you were well fired up : )

Chemicals, chemicals and more chemicals.

Who is this, and where has their account gone?!